U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,106,103 times

Advertisements

I certainly didn't when my wife and I visited in summer 2018. So far, Philadelphia has been our favorite city hands down, and we can't wait to go back.

But I get the sense that many people don't second that sentiment.

I live in Florida. I don't know that many people who have ever visited Philly, and it's a shame given the myriad of things to do there.

We stayed in Old City, and it felt like all the key historic sites we wanted to visit (Ben Franklin Museum, Liberty Bell, etc.) were a short walk away.

I realize that not everyone is a big history buff like I am, so they may have little to no interest in, say, Independence Hall.

And although I loved the fact that Old City had a quiet, relaxing vibe (compared to the hustle and bustle of NYC, which I came to dislike), I imagine that many people would get bored of that atmosphere quickly.

I recognize that Philly is sandwiched between D.C. and New York, which doesn't help its cause. Beyond that, though, does Philly get overlooked in part because their biggest selling point (history) isn't necessarily something many people are drawn to?

Philly reminds me of Boston in a way (another city we liked, just not as much as Philly). I haven't come across anyone who has expressed interest in (or even knows of) the Freedom Trail. Boston, like Philly, has tons of colleges and museums. To be sure, they both seem like highly intellectual cities, but is this enough to get people to visit?

We visited the busier part of Center City one night (where the Rocky statue/art museum is) and it seemed like the statue was a bigger draw than many of the city's museums.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; Yesterday at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

3,034 posts, read 1,525,760 times
I think like any thing it just "depends". I'm a NYC native and my family from NY love Philly, especially in the summer.

Just a quick google search says about 43 million people visited the city in 2018.
Now if someone goes to the Rocky statue and doesn't bother to walk up the stairs to see the art museum then they've got bigger issues.

IMO there is more than enough to keep a visitor interested for a week or more.

Now you're right it's big draw is history but you don't have to be a history "buff" to get an appreciation of the contributions of Philadelphia.

I mean I love Paris but i'm not a big art aficionado

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

228 posts, read 70,438 times
Philly does get more visitors than you might think. It's not just the history; the museums, arts and major league sports are all there, too. And so is the restaurant scene. I am a transplant from Chicago and have spent lots of time in NYC. Philly more than holds it's own, IMO.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 1,811,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I think like any thing it just "depends". I'm a NYC native and my family from NY love Philly, especially in the summer.

Just a quick google search says about 43 million people visited the city in 2018.
Now if someone goes to the Rocky statue and doesn't bother to walk up the stairs to see the art museum then they've got bigger issues.

IMO there is more than enough to keep a visitor interested for a week or more.

Now you're right it's big draw is history but you don't have to be a history "buff" to get an appreciation of the contributions of Philadelphia.

I mean I love Paris but i'm not a big art aficionado
Philadelphia definitely is a Early American history buff city to appreciate.

But Pennsylvania requires also has tourist counts -- BY the WHOLE METRO as standard. Not City-Proper alone. Most cities its counts are by the CITY-PROPER ALONE. All the other major cities are.

I used this link a few times as some hate.

https://billypenn.com/2016/11/09/her...urists-we-get/

From link in 2015 numbers:

First thing to know: That 41 million people is for “Greater Philadelphia.” That area, according to Visit Philly, consists of Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, Chester and Delaware counties. The number for Philadelphia proper in 2015 was 25.9 million.

**** But the fact is this 43-million is the MULTI-COUNTY METRO Region. The City of Philadelphia's share is probably now about 29-million? Could be a bit higher a increase share also?

Some see this as being negative on Philly. But facts still should be clarified if one discovers that -- PA State forces the whole Metro count by VisitPA this way as the Philadelphia link clearly notes. So the 43-million isn't Philadelphia proper alone like most other major cities.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 758,383 times
Guilty as charged. I've stopped by the rocky statue a couple of times and only once gone up the steps but did not venture into the art museum.

That said, I'm not an art museum guy. The only art museum I've been to was in the middle east if you don't count the National Gallery in London.

Not everyone likes or must like art. It does not tickle my fancy and I don't see this changing soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

155 posts, read 113,409 times
Interesting that you live in Florida and want to know if people find Philadelphia boring. I moved to Philadelphia from Fort Lauderdale because I was bored out of my brains down there and wanted to live in an affordable big city with lots of things to do---a city where I did not need a car to survive! I've lived in Center City seventeen years now (without a car) and I've never been bored living here---NEVER. How can one possibly be bored in this city that has so many attractions? Just walking in a gorgeous neighborhood like Society Hill, Rittenhouse, Old City, or Fairmount lifts my spirits, as it feels like I'm strolling through a beautiful painting. Friends and family who visit me here are as delighted with Philly as I am.

Old Today, 12:31 AM

363 posts, read 267,828 times
This is a good question. I think for alot of people who live here it will become boring because they have been here for all their lives. Me on the other hand ,29 yo guy...Love my city..I think there is plenty to do, there is always something going on. Philly is a GREAT MIX OF EVERYTHING. I've been traveling alot lately...and i still love Philly to the fullest. I dont think i could live anywhere else.

Old Today, 02:00 AM

3,760 posts, read 1,811,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Interesting that you live in Florida and want to know if people find Philadelphia boring. I moved to Philadelphia from Fort Lauderdale because I was bored out of my brains down there and wanted to live in an affordable big city with lots of things to do---a city where I did not need a car to survive! I've lived in Center City seventeen years now (without a car) and I've never been bored living here---NEVER. How can one possibly be bored in this city that has so many attractions? Just walking in a gorgeous neighborhood like Society Hill, Rittenhouse, Old City, or Fairmount lifts my spirits, as it feels like I'm strolling through a beautiful painting. Friends and family who visit me here are as delighted with Philly as I am.
I would neither be bored with CC Philly, or Ft Lauderdale. Loved my visits there from the beaches to motels to just the ocean breezes. I could definitely live there year-round. But very pricy today.

Just would love the near the beach life. . I can smell the ocean breeze now ..... closing my eyes.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

5,956 posts, read 5,351,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Guilty as charged. I've stopped by the rocky statue a couple of times and only once gone up the steps but did not venture into the art museum.

That said, I'm not an art museum guy. The only art museum I've been to was in the middle east if you don't count the National Gallery in London.

Not everyone likes or must like art. It does not tickle my fancy and I don't see this changing soon.
I have taken many people to see the statue, most do not care to visit the actual musuem, however, I make it a point to show them the grounds, the outside of the building and views from the steps, etc., and they are always amazed at how stunning the actual building and surroundings are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I certainly didn't when my wife and I visited in summer 2018. So far, Philadelphia has been our favorite city hands down, and we can't wait to go back.
I agree, it depends. I do not find Philadelphia boring and I have never met anyone who does, but people have their preferences of cities... I found Atlanta to be boring and Dallas to be borderline terrible, but still home to millions of people.

I took my boyfriend to Philadelphia recently, he had never been (only to the airport), and he was blown away by the the size of the city, the history, food, culture, architecture, etc. Prior, he didn't have a negative view of Philadelphia, he just didn't know much about it. Now its one of his favorite cities. (hes from Tennessee).

I also took my Greek friends to Philadelphia twice, and they are always asking when we can go back.

Overall, I don't see how people would not enjoy visiting Philadelphia, unless they strayed into a bad area, but in Center City and now many other areas, there is plenty to do, see, eat and enjoy, and there seem to be more offerings every time I visit, like the new Four Seasons roof.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

561 posts, read 407,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

But I get the sense that many people don't second that sentiment.

I live in Florida. I don't know that many people who have ever visited Philly, and it's a shame given the myriad of things to do there.

We stayed in Old City, and it felt like all the key historic sites we wanted to visit (Ben Franklin Museum, Liberty Bell, etc.) were a short walk away.

I realize that not everyone is a big history buff like I am, so they may have little to no interest in, say, Independence Hall.

And although I loved the fact that Old City had a quiet, relaxing vibe (compared to the hustle and bustle of NYC, which I came to dislike), I imagine that many people would get bored of that atmosphere quickly.

I recognize that Philly is sandwiched between D.C. and New York, which doesn't help its cause. Beyond that, though, does Philly get overlooked in part because their biggest selling point (history) isn't necessarily something many people are drawn to?

Philly reminds me of Boston in a way (another city we liked, just not as much as Philly). I haven't come across anyone who has expressed interest in (or even knows of) the Freedom Trail. Boston, like Philly, has tons of colleges and museums. To be sure, they both seem like highly intellectual cities, but is this enough to get people to visit?

We visited the busier part of Center City one night (where the Rocky statue/art museum is) and it seemed like the statue was a bigger draw than many of the city's museums.
I would propose that for one to feel that Philly is boring, that individual must in fact be the boring part of the equation. He/she must have literally no passions or interests. You can be a foodie person, a history person, a sports person, an art (both performing and static) person, a park person, a water person, an architecturally-loving person, a drive bar/sports/high-end bar person, a nightlife person, a transit person, a high-rise person, a neighborhood person, a music person, an urban person and even a suburban person to name a few. The only two aspects that Philly doesn't offer are beaches and mountains. Of course this isn't a Philly matter, this is a geographic situation, and one that the majority of large metros don't include. However, in Philly, you're only an hour from the beautiful Jersey shore and a little more than that to the Poconos.

I'm not saying Philly should be everyone's first destination (I for one would always take the beach over any locale), but if you find yourself in our city and are unable to indulge your passions/interests, I would encourage to actually develop at least one passion/interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or