U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 113 times

Advertisements

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Within the next 8-10 months my wife and I will be moving from ruralish NH to Greater PA. My wife and her family are from Bala Cynwd and since we have a new little one we decided to move closer to her family.

The rub being...I've visit her parents several times and can not see myself living in that area. I just can't do with all the congestion! I love the suburban lifestyle (nice sidewalks, parks, etc) but I can't live in a place where there road congestion on the way to the supermarket! Ideally, I may want something that doesn't exist - a nice suburban lifestyle with great community but not the hustle-and-bustle

Fortunately, we are both physicians in specialties with great demand so finding a job won't be difficult. I do not mind driving 30-45 minutes for work - I actually prefer to work in a most rural setting but suburban would be OK to. Would love to find a place within 30-40 minutes of Bala Cynwyd and within 45 minutes from the airport.

In summary, dream place would be...
Within 30-40 minutes of Bala Cynwyd and the Philadelphia Airport
Suburban setting with close knit neighborhoods but less traffic/density than Bala Cynwyd
Newish houses, budget 550-800k
Maybe a more "blue-collar" setting?

When are you moving? 8-10 months
Where are you coming from? Rural NH
Why are you moving? Closer to family
Where will you be working? Not sure yet,
Have you been here yet? Yes, multiple visits to much of the Bala Cynwyd area (ARdmore, merion)

Will you buy or rent? Rent initially but ultimately by
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House vs townhome (less appealing) budget between 550-800k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? apartment
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children?Married. One young one, another one planned
Do you prefer public or private schools? PUBLIC
Do you have pets? Dogs
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?Middle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

230 posts, read 71,236 times
There are a number of good options to select from. As you might expect, the further out you go, the more open space you will find.

Two strong options for your are Media and West Chester. Media will be closer to Bala and much closer to the airport. West Chester has more open space nearby. Both great towns and will offer the balance your are looking for and a broad range of amenities

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,289,988 times
I would suggest a Toll Brothers community if you insist on newish luxury homes. There's one in West Chester, a really nice area. Commute to central Philly where most of the highly paid medical specialty positions are located will take about 1 hour and 25 minutes by SEPTA Paoli Line or shorter by AMTRAK from Exton station (13 miles) where there are a lot of parking spaces. By car, it will take 35 minutes, by bus 1 3/4 hours.

But if you now live in the "Upper Valley," I'd stay put.

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...est-Chester-PA

Old Today, 07:47 AM

5,961 posts, read 5,361,005 times
I second Media area.

Toll Brothers actually just broke ground on a large community minutes from downtown Media.

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...anklin-Station

The only downside is congestion in Delaware County is high, if you really want to avoid traffic you will need to go out past West Chester. You will avoid traffic, but your commute to the airport or Bala will be longer, so its not an easy win win.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

12,725 posts, read 28,586,198 times
You could also look North instead of West. Northern Bucks county, specifically Doylestown area, is fairly rural and within your drive criteria to the family and an hour to Philadelphia and just outside of that range is Southern Lehigh County where I live. More rural, excellent hospitals, less traffic and the bonus of living within a couple of hours from Manhattan, and still just an hour from Philly. We have lived in both Delaware and Chester County very close to both Media and West Chester. I like both those towns a lot, but rural, they are not. When we lived in Garnet Valley (close to both Media and West Chester) I would arrange my errands to avoid the roads between morning rush and the extended afternoon traffic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old Today, 09:10 AM

234 posts, read 120,570 times
Sorry to inform you, but 30-40 minutes from Bala Cynwyd and within 45 minutes of the airport is going to be congested suburbia.

Also, 35 minutes from West Chester to Center City by car is not feasible, especially during rush hour. It's more like an hour-long commute.

Old Today, 07:35 PM

230 posts, read 71,236 times
Doylestown is over an hour from Bala, and farther still to the airport.

West Chester borough is a nice college town and county seat. Rhere's a good amount of open space if you venture from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or