U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 12:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,927,390 times

Advertisements

jenkintown has no bus service since all students live within walking distance of the school
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM

33 posts, read 25,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall oaks View Post
Yardley, Langhorne, and Newtown in Bucks County are within your hour commute time, have walkable downtown areas, historic homes (all settled in the late 1600's) and have excellent schools (Pennsbury, Neshaminy and Council Rock). Yardley and Langhorne have train stations to Philly. But, if you drive, the Interstate 95 commute might just do you in.
I’m learning we need to west of Philly, rather than east. Will I find fewer historic homes walkable to downtown areas as we go west? My Zillow searches haven’t turned up much along those lines.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:44 PM

99 posts, read 161,331 times
Drexel hill, Springfield and Havertown are nice places too. You'll find nice tudor, stone houses around these area.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:45 PM

558 posts, read 250,153 times
I don't believe so, if you are looking at the towns mentioned above.

You will find nice historic homes throughout the Main Line communities. Many or most of them have walkable downtowns and all have highly rated schools. You will also find them in Jenkintown (North of the city) and in the Bucks county towns mentioned, especially Doylestown and Newtown. Bucks county is also North of the city.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 PM

12,134 posts, read 6,719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan12345 View Post
I’m learning we need to west of Philly, rather than east. Will I find fewer historic homes walkable to downtown areas as we go west? My Zillow searches haven’t turned up much along those lines.
"East of Philly" is New Jersey. Where will you be working specifically?

All of the communities that have been brought to your attention are older towns built on what I refer to as the American Small Town model, which I consider one of the ideal urban forms in the country. (It's both what Chuck Marohn, he of the Strong Towns, and the planners, architects, and developers who belong to the Congress for the New Urbanism hold up as the type of place we all should want to build and live in.)

You may find subdivisions on their outskirts, but their hearts are pure small town, walkable Main Streets and all. The houses in them are located on a grid or lattice of streets (as opposed to a tree of cul-de-sacs).

There's a fair bit of new construction in both suburb and city. When I go looking for houses to feature on Phillymag, I often find myself slogging through a pile of new construction model houses. You can filter your Zillow search to omit new construction homes under the "For Sale/Rent" button, and you can also specify a range of construction dates in the "Year Built" fields under the "More" button.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 AM

702 posts, read 476,307 times
We moved down from Michigan and rented, then bought in Media. We looked at West Chester but like others have said it was more a college than family town. Media on the other hand has festival after festival, weekly dining under the stars in the summer and is always in the news as one of the best walkable suburbs. There are two school districts, Wallingford Swarthmore which is top tier with taxes that reflect this. The borough of Media is Rose Tree schools which are rated very high also and do have lower taxes.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM

213 posts, read 123,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Jenkintown's Regional rail station is located about a third of a mile away from the center of the borough, but it is the busiest Regional Rail station outside Center City Philadelphia, with service at peak hours approaching rapid-transit frequencies on the four lines that pass through it.

What do you base that on? I think it's been the case for a number of years that the R5 (I refuse to call it the P/T) is the busiest regional rail line, and Paoli the busiest SEPTA station: https://vista.today/2019/09/enhancem...-now-complete/

Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 AM

12,134 posts, read 6,719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
What do you base that on? I think it's been the case for a number of years that the R5 (I refuse to call it the P/T) is the busiest regional rail line, and Paoli the busiest SEPTA station: https://vista.today/2019/09/enhancem...-now-complete/
I was basing that claim on the fact that three* Regional Rail lines stop at the station; in terms of number of trains per day, no Regional Rail station outside Center City has more. One of those lines is the R5's other half, the Lansdale/Doylestown, the second-busiest of the Regional Rail lines; (R3) West Trenton is #4, and (R2) Warminster is #8.

And according to the stats available on SEPTA's interactive GIS data portal (first time I used it; way cool), total weekday boardings and alightings at Jenkintown are 1,680 each, or 3,360 total passenger moves.

The stats for Paoli: weekday boardings, 1,187; weekday alightings, 1,278; total passenger moves, 2,465.

These figures don't include Amtrak moves at Paoli, natch. And since we're only talking SEPTA here, they shouldn't.

*I had said "four" in my prior post, but I see that SEPTA no longer runs (R1) Airport Line trains all the way to Glenside.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:54 PM

33 posts, read 25,981 times
Thank you all for your help. I’m narrowing my search and have learned I need to find my cute, walkable town closer to Phoenixville. We would be west of that. Media has captured my eye, but may be too far away.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:12 PM

726 posts, read 677,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan12345 View Post
Thank you all for your help. I’m narrowing my search and have learned I need to find my cute, walkable town closer to Phoenixville. We would be west of that. Media has captured my eye, but may be too far away.
What about Phoenixville itself? It has a fantastic, walkable downtown. The public schools, however, are generally considered good but not great. Phoenixville is less expensive so perhaps you could considerate private school? Maybe look at Pottstown as well.

There are less options out near phoenixville because you are in the exurbs by that point so if you need public schools I would recommend also looking at Wayne and maybe West Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia