U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,448,321 times

Advertisements

I have a friend into outdoor activities, food, museums, drinks, and Gardens.
Any ideas I can consider besides Longwood Gardens? (which isn't exactly Exton at all, but you get the idea)

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Lou

546 posts, read 201,114 times
West Chester (and the university) has lots of events throughout the year and some good restaurants.

On Rt. 1 toward Kennett Square, there are some nice antique shops.

The Brandywine Valley wine trail

Brandywine River Museum of Art

Valley Forge Park

Old 12-11-2019, 06:43 PM

27,972 posts, read 26,642,585 times
Chanticleer is one of my favorite gardens in the region.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Chanticleer is one of my favorite gardens in the region.
One of mine too. They are closed until April 1 though

Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 AM

405 posts, read 189,898 times
I'm assuming the friend is visiting somewhat soon, so if it's during the winter, your outdoor options are limited. If the friend is actually visiting in the summer, the number of outdoor options obviously increases.

Remember that Longwood Gardens is known for their Christmas Lights, which while cool, also makes the place a bit of a madhouse. If you go, go at night; it's worth doing even if you have to fight the crowds.

Terrain Cafe in Devon is a cool setting; it's a brunch-type place set inside a greenhouse (to give you a Longwoods-type feel without trekking out there or paying admission). However, the food decent but nothing special and you pay a small premium for it.

Victory Brewing in Downingtown has sentimental appeal to me, just because it was the first microbrewery I ever got into. The beer is solid and the food is typical gastropub stuff.

Walking around downtown West Chester and eating/drinking along the way is always fun no matter what time of year it is.

Exton itself has the mall, obviously. But if you want to give them more of a "wow" factor, head over to King of Prussia.

Another thing you can do, even in the Winter, is hop onto the Septa train in Exton and do a bar crawl along the Main Line. Lots of stops have a bar within walking distance of the stops.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:52 AM

3,171 posts, read 2,497,052 times
Another thing in the Kennett Square area that would be very enjoyable is the Creamery.
https://www.kennettcreamery.com/#/

The
I hear tons a great things about Marsh Creek Park. (yes of course as long as it's not horrible weather)
Not too far is Ridley Creek Park with very nice trails and such.

Just to mention as well, that West Chester itself is great and the Chester County Library system (as most county systems
do) has free passes to museums and some of the outdoor gardens. The Chester County Historical Museum is surprisingly good, and free passes from the library are readily available - makes a nice addition to any of the many restaurants and bars.
Not sure when the visit is, but another one is Mill at Anselma in Chester Springs.https://anselmamill.org/about/

Old 12-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I'm assuming the friend is visiting somewhat soon, so if it's during the winter, your outdoor options are limited. If the friend is actually visiting in the summer, the number of outdoor options obviously increases.

Remember that Longwood Gardens is known for their Christmas Lights, which while cool, also makes the place a bit of a madhouse. If you go, go at night; it's worth doing even if you have to fight the crowds.

Terrain Cafe in Devon is a cool setting; it's a brunch-type place set inside a greenhouse (to give you a Longwoods-type feel without trekking out there or paying admission). However, the food decent but nothing special and you pay a small premium for it.

Victory Brewing in Downingtown has sentimental appeal to me, just because it was the first microbrewery I ever got into. The beer is solid and the food is typical gastropub stuff.

Walking around downtown West Chester and eating/drinking along the way is always fun no matter what time of year it is.

Exton itself has the mall, obviously. But if you want to give them more of a "wow" factor, head over to King of Prussia.

Another thing you can do, even in the Winter, is hop onto the Septa train in Exton and do a bar crawl along the Main Line. Lots of stops have a bar within walking distance of the stops.
Winter time, yes, and this Sunday as a matter of fact, lol.
I did know about Longwood Gardens lights, and certainly on my list.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Another thing in the Kennett Square area that would be very enjoyable is the Creamery.
https://www.kennettcreamery.com/#/

The
I hear tons a great things about Marsh Creek Park. (yes of course as long as it's not horrible weather)
Not too far is Ridley Creek Park with very nice trails and such.

Just to mention as well, that West Chester itself is great and the Chester County Library system (as most county systems
do) has free passes to museums and some of the outdoor gardens. The Chester County Historical Museum is surprisingly good, and free passes from the library are readily available - makes a nice addition to any of the many restaurants and bars.
Not sure when the visit is, but another one is Mill at Anselma in Chester Springs.https://anselmamill.org/about/
This is just as helpful!

The free passes from the Chester County library system, does one have to be a Chester county resident to be eligible for this?

Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 AM

3,171 posts, read 2,497,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
This is just as helpful!

The free passes from the Chester County library system, does one have to be a Chester county resident to be eligible for this?
I believe for the free passes (which various counties offer- ) you need to have a library card. If you have a library card to any system , check to see which museum and attraction passes they offer, Many times the passes are for various locations within the state and even in other states. If the pass if for 4 people, not all need to be county residents.
My understanding is you need a library card to reserve the pass, and then anyone you bring with you is fine.
Definitely look at the websites or call for more clarification because some are done all online but most you need to physically pick up the pass. It really varies but it's a great option.

Another thing is that not all libraries in the same system offer the same attractions.
I know in Chester County the library in Exton offers free passes to Grounds for Sculpture (in NJ) and that one is totally online.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:31 PM

208 posts, read 147,032 times
West Chester Borough check out the

Uptown! Knauer Performing Arts Center

It has a play with afternoon and evening performances. Then dinner at one of the 50 plus restaurants maybe an option.

https://uptownwestchester.org/events...s-dec-13-29-2/

INTO THE WOODS
December 13 – December 29, 2019
Into the Woods, a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales, is one of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine’s most popular shows.
An ambivalent Cinderella, a bloodthirsty Little Red Riding Hood and Prince Charming with a roving eye are among the cockeyed characters in this fractured fairy tale. This award winning musical is equally enjoyable for children and adults.
Recommended for age 5+ (Children under 5 not admitted)

Or
Yuletide at Winterthur

Yuletide at Winterthur celebrates 40 years with the very best of displays from across the decades as chosen by Winterthur visitors. There's something for everyone! Kids of all ages will delight in magical Christmas trees of all shapes and sizes; a remarkable 18-room dollhouse mansion filled with nearly 1,000 miniatures and fully decorated for Christmas; and a display of antique Santas and figures of the mischievous Belsnickel, a gift giver from German folklore who is closely related to Ol’ Saint Nick.

https://www.winterthur.org/exhibitions-events/yuletide/

Last edited by TLC1957; 12-14-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or