Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I drove through the Oxford Circle area recently. While it’s still okay, it did seem to be fraying a bit judging by the maintenance of quite a few homes. Not exactly run down, but not quite neat and tidy either. One thought that ran through my mind was if this is how many fully-downtrodden neighborhoods looked at the beginning of their slide. I admired the stone fronts of many of the homes and can see the appeal, so I hope those homes are better maintained as time goes on.
I lived just off Oxford Circle for 18 months in 2011-13. That stint opened my eyes to the transformations taking place in the Northeast, parts of which are now among the city's most ethnically diverse neighborhoods.

In the immediate area, immigrants from the Caribbean, in particular the Dominican Republic but also Haiti and some of the English-speaking Caribbean islands, had settled in sizable numbers, and African-Americans were also moving in to join a diminshing number of white ethnics.

They still held sway at the Circle Tavern on the circle itself. The most uncomfortable half hour I spent in those 18 months was the time I spent drinking a beer in that bar one Saturday night. But I wonder how much of this may have been class cues too? For I did see other African-Americans wearing AFSCME DC 33 jackets patronizing the place on occasion.

Then there was the block cleanup day on the block of Alma Street where I roomed with a fellow PGMCer (Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus). I was shoveling fallen leaves into bags with an elderly Haitian immigrant who spoke no English; I knew no Creole. We communicated entirely via smiles and hand gestures.

Or the one morning where I found myself waiting for the inbound El at Margaret-Orthodox (not yet renamed for the bus platforms below - Arrott Transportation Center is now its name) with the Caribbean-American woman (black, English-speaking) who lived next door to where I did. She went on at some length about the African-Americans who were moving into the neighborhood and dragging it down.

A Northeast-native friend - he owns the Grey Lodge Public House in Mayfair, the Hop Angel Brauhaus in Fox Chase and a third bar just below Bridesburg - said to me in a conversation after I'd moved out that Castor Gardens, the neighborhood to Oxford Circle's north, "has always smelled like a$$," though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 05:20 PM

319 posts, read 145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

A Northeast-native friend - he owns the Grey Lodge Public House in Mayfair, the Hop Angel Brauhaus in Fox Chase and a third bar just below Bridesburg - said to me in a conversation after I'd moved out that Castor Gardens, the neighborhood to Oxford Circle's north, "has always smelled like a$$," though.
The bar in port Richmond is Bonk's.

We're Byrne's people, but Bonk's is good, too. Very good cheesesteak and the atmosphere is chill.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:54 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Oxford Circle is not 'OK.'
I agree. The appearance of the homes many still be OK but it's only due to the fact that the decline has been more recent.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:31 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Is there any way in hell they're going to get that price for that house?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is there any way in hell they're going to get that price for that house?
What house?

Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Post #47:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...10331741_zpid/

Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That house-flipper's on the bleeding edge of change for sure.

But that place is a notch or two above the typical rehab these days. I don't think they'll get $400k for it in that location, but were it in some other neighborhood that's further along the curve, they would.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:20 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I agree. I don't want to make it sound like I grew up a long time ago, but even as a kid growing up in West, I still remember "never go west of 40th Street" being a prominent phrase. Back in the 2000s, development was just starting to heat up in what's considered University City--I still remember new buildings rising along Chestnut Street as my mom would drive towards the Schuylkill Expressway. Nowadays, people aren't afraid to cross 52nd Street. My transplant girlfriend and I walked to The Irvine, a converted warehouse south of 52nd and Baltimore, a few nights ago, as we will be moving in together this summer. She didn't feel afraid, and I couldn't help but tell her that people with the means to live elsewhere would've NEVER considered living that far south and west while growing up.

Kingsessing is similar, with a ton of transplants moving in between 52nd, the Media/Elwyn Line tracks, 49th Street, and Kingsessing Avenue.

North Philly, specifically the Lower North, will be a shining star this decade. Though I'm not as bullish about the neighborhoods north of the Northeast Corridor tracks, the North Station District and a few projects at Broad and Erie (a new Marriott-branded hotel has been proposed at the Beury Building!) have the potential to transform the geographical center of North Philly in a very positive way. Heading north, Logan has the bones to be a very cool neighborhood--it just needs a coordinated level of investment.

The " Irvine,?' You mean " Apple Storage " right? lol

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
The " Irvine,?' You mean " Apple Storage " right? lol
It was the Apple Storage Building while I was growing up, but remember that I mentioned that my girlfriend is a fairly recent transplant. It's "The Irvine" to her and in the discussions that we have that involve possibly moving there this summer.

The building also has a huge neon sign with its new name that lights up the night, so I'm using its new name for those who may not be familiar with it lol.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:18 PM

66 posts, read 46,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Kensington is a huge section.

Yes, some parts are revitalized, but it'll be decades (if ever) for the area north of Lehigh to get 'there.' Actually, it'll take decades for south of Lehigh, also.

The entire area would have to be leveled being as the housing stock is awful. Same for most of North Philly.

I laugh at whoever thinks Broad and Erie has 'arrived.' LOL!

Fishtown is unique. Every neighborhood isn't the next Fishtown.

Hopefully, all these pie in the sky dreams come true.
Kensington has been gentrified, not revitalized. The original communities tried to revitalize their neighborhood before any transplants ever wanted anything to do with it, just like in every other blue collar or lower-income part of the city. Nobody cared to help them in these efforts or treat them like they matter until newcomers moved in. That's not revitalization.

And it's so great to see you advocating for demolishing entire neighborhoods due to "awful" housing stock. Urban renewal was such a success, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia