Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 07:29 PM

213 posts, read 157,639 times

Advertisements

I like Kennett (and West Chester), but anyone saying Kennett has any kind of nightlife is crazy. There is almost nothing going on past 9PM. West Chester, though not much larger, has far more nightlife just due to the college crowd. Kennett, being a wealthy area like most of Chester County, does have some great restaurants, but don't expect that to carry over to a good time at the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 05:12 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Wilmington is an odd city. Not a lot of nightlife. There are definitely some things going on. But just seemed not very community based. Bars close at 12 AM for example.
That is incorrect. And there's been an explosion of nightlife in the past year.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:14 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

With all the talk of Trolley Square I expected something halfway decent. There are probably 2 restaurants and 2 solid bars. Other than that. Not alot going on.
That is also incorrect.

And why are we trying to sell OP on Kennett? (Outdoor cafes? What?) His girlfriend lives there. He knows.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 4,736 times
I am a newbie to the DE area but my boyfriend went to West Chester and we now live in Newark De where he commutes into Wilmington everyday for his job there. I unfortunately have to commute into Philly so i am in a sorta similar position. My boyfriend and I love Chester county in PA. I think it has great schools if you plan on having kids, it has beautiful houses galore and there are so many little towns you can live in. West Chester is super close to Victory brewing company if you haven't tried that out i HIGHLY recommend. I would love to live in West Chester if i could, its so close to many things the area has to offer like you said, also a short 25 mins to the biggest mall KOP but is unfortunately a horrible commute to work in the city in my case.

But i understand your need to want to be close to work, thus moving to DE. It definitely isn't "close" to commute from WC to Newark. If you live in Wilmington, it would cut around 20 extra minutes from your drive, but there is LESS in the area than in PA from what ive gathered from living here. So there are pros and cons. Live in a fun area and have a horrible commute to work, or have a short commute to work and spend your weekends driving to fun areas, you pick your posion. The Wilmington Water front from what ive seen has a decent amount of fancy looking apartment buildings, we pass them every week going to eat at Iron Hill (recommend the philly cheese steak egg rolls). It seems that they are trying to get some young people in the area with those apartments.... Recommend looking there,

Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM

60 posts, read 63,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
LOL. Sorry. Wilmington is terrible.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post

It is not incorrect. People rat on Pennsylvania liquor laws. But Delaware has more strict laws.

Last call in Delaware is 1245 AM and most bars close up well before then. I use to live in Wilmington and Delaware's archaic liquor laws absolutely kill its nightlife scene. It basically does not exist.

And to consider Joe's Crab Shack and Iron Hill Brewery as having a nightlife in Wlimington Waterfront is a joke in of itself.

Trolley Square has about 2 restaurants and 2 bars worth visiting. The area is very small with not that much to offer. I use to live there. I know. It is a cute area for sure. But it in no way is a booming neighborhood in terms of nightlife.

West Chester 100% has more to offer than Trolley Square or Wilmington's Waterfront.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
I like Kennett (and West Chester), but anyone saying Kennett has any kind of nightlife is crazy. There is almost nothing going on past 9PM. West Chester, though not much larger, has far more nightlife just due to the college crowd. Kennett, being a wealthy area like most of Chester County, does have some great restaurants, but don't expect that to carry over to a good time at the bar.

Out of curiosity, Kennett Square appears to have rather bad public schools, where do upper middle-class families living there send their kids to? Any good private schools nearby?

Old 02-05-2021, 11:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I guess Wilmington does work as being equidistant to Kennet Square and Newark.

Given that it has a residents' wage tax I'd live just outside the city up route 52 or 100....and if I have to ... I'd hop in the car for a 10 minute jaunt to whatever nightlife I wanted.

But for me daily commute is THE factor for where I live.
I go to work more often than I go out to eat or to some venue. So commute has to be the most convenient thing in my day-to-day life.

If the commute is short, you'll have time to do anything else you want to do. But if you're commute is an hour each way -- two hours a day total, how much. time is really left for the other things you'd like to do?

Old 02-06-2021, 11:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Out of curiosity, Kennett Square appears to have rather bad public schools, where do upper middle-class families living there send their kids to? Any good private schools nearby?
Many neighborhoods with a Kennett Square mailing address are in the Unionville/Chadds Ford School District. It's a very good district; here's some info:

https://www.greatschools.org/pennsyl...hool-district/

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-17392

There are several private schools in Delaware that Kennett-area kids attend. There are also private schools in northern Chester County, but those would be a longer commute from Kennett Square.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:18 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Dang this thread is a year old. The OP has likely made his decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia