Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,776 times

Advertisements

Hi all, hoping that you may be able to provide me with some insight here!

I am thinking about taking a job offer in Newark, DE. My significant other lives in West Chester & works in Kennett Square. We are in our mid-20s and really like West Chester (walkable downtown area, a lot of good bars and restaurants, close to Philly). Initially, I was considering commuting daily from WC to Newark. This would be a 45-minute commute in light traffic conditions, and from what I’ve read, it is a terrible commute.

We have been considering other options for living and have landed on Wilmington, DE. This would be more equidistant between Kennett and Newark (about a 25-minute commute for both of us). We are looking at the nicer/safe areas of Wilmington which I’ve read include the Highlands, Rockford Park, 40 acres, Trolley Park, and Wawaset neighborhoods. We are considering buying our first property but are open to renting as well. We are aware of the COL in the two areas. I have heard that Trolley Park is full of young professionals and has a decent bar/restaurant scene that is walkable which is very appealing to us. Safety is also a priority, of course.

What are your thoughts? Are there are any other locations in PA or DE that I am missing?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM

409 posts, read 369,810 times
Trolley Square is pretty ideal for your situation. The only caveats I'll give you is:
  • If you're going to have kids, the public schools in Delaware are sub par
  • Wilmington has a city wage tax. I believe (not sure) that living in its city limits will cost each of you an extra 1.25% of your income. You'll want to check for yourself, and it gets pretty confusing. That being said, Delaware's high income taxes are negated by lower taxes on basically everything else.

Have you considered living in Kennett Square itself? It's similar to West Chester, minus the college and courthouse, and a smaller downtown, but your money goes further. And as much as the "equidistant between jobs" logic sounds fair, Wilmington puts you both out of the way as far as commutes are concerned.

Likewise, Newark itself (by the Campus) could be a good spot that's worth considering.

I live in Pocopson and commute to Newark, DE. I find Newark Road to be a pleasant backdoor into Delaware when I'm not taking Route 52. The commute into Delaware only stinks if you're taking 202, and even then, there are people on here who say "it's not that bad".

Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 PM

213 posts, read 157,281 times
I generally agree with your homework and Patmcpsu's recommendations. Kennett Sq. is going to be a bit sleepier of a small town than Newark or Wilmington, and property there (if buying) is going to be more expensive. Newark, if you've never been, is far more overrun by college students (UD) than West Chester (WCU) is, so going to bars and such means you'll be hanging with a lot of 21-22 year olds. Might not be so bad for someone mid 20s, but I suspect it will get tired once you get a bit older (it did for me.) You'll also notice the seasonal school schedule aspect of living in Newark, with many out-of-state students leaving for Summer and UD's long Winter session.

I concur that the Trolley area is probably your best bet. Many UD students I knew landed there after school (those that didn't head towards Philly), so it fits your age range perfectly. A younger crowd, but nobody puking in your bushes at 1AM on the way home from a frat party.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Think WC to Newark is really unmanageable on a daily basis. Wilmington has a few nice neighborhoods which you’ve id’ed and would be a relatively easy commute for both of you. Additionally, I agree with the poster who suggested KS. It’s a nice little town that offers some buzz on its outdoor cafes in warm weather.

I would also post this in the Delaware forum. Most posters there are from southern Delaware, but you might get some further suggestions.

Best of luck.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I would look at Trolley Square or Kennet Square. It depends how close to West Chester you want to be.

Wilmington is an odd city. Not a lot of nightlife. There are definitely some things going on. But just seemed not very community based. Bars close at 12 AM for example.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times
Wilmington. Closer to work. You're only gonna do nightlife on the weekends. I remember working in Bala Cynwyd and living in Bear, delaware. It was the worst commute. So from my experience definitely Wilmington.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 PM

273 posts, read 317,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
I remember working in Bala Cynwyd and living in Bear, delaware. It was the worst commute.
Bala Cynwyd to Bear is a 45-mile/70-90+ minute drive over some of the most congested suburban arterial roads and freeways in the region. On the other hand, Kennett Square to Newark is a 15-mile/30-minute drive over mostly rural roads—a completely different experience.

For what it’s worth, the Trolley Square to Newark drive is actually slightly longer than from Kennett (about 18 vs. 15 miles), though generally about the same length of time (depending on traffic, of course) because it’s mostly a straight shot down I-95.

A friend of mine exhibits his artwork at a gallery in Trolley Square, and I went down for an opening once. I must say I was underwhelmed (by Trolley Square—not his artwork). There were a number of restaurants and some interesting-looking places, but for all of the little blurbs I’d seen Delaware promotional pamphlets about this “hip” and “vibrant” little enclave, I found it to be something less than advertised. At least that was my initial impression. Granted, it’s probably more happening than Kennett Square, but Kennett’s also not claiming to be the premier destination for young professionals in the state.

I’d say if you want to live in something resembling a town where you can be a part of the community, walk to local nightspots, etc., try out both Kennett and Trolley Square extensively, and decide where you feel you can be more at home. But if you plan to move into a suburban/rural home where you have to get into your car to do anything, you can essentially move anywhere in the countryside near the PA/DE border. At that point, it’s just a matter of finding a home you like at a price you can afford and making sure the other variables of taxes, schools etc. work out.

Last edited by briantroutman; 03-03-2020 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Remove duplicate word

Old 03-03-2020, 04:38 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
Bala Cynwyd to Bear is a 45-mile/70-90+ minute drive over some of the most congested suburban arterial roads and freeways in the region. On the other hand, Kennett Square to Newark is a 15-mile/30-minute drive over mostly rural roads—a completely different experience.

For what it’s worth, the Trolley Square to Newark drive is actually slightly longer than from Kennett (about 18 vs. 15 miles), though generally about the same length of time (depending on traffic, of course) because it’s mostly a straight shot down I-95.

A friend of mine exhibits his artwork at a gallery in Trolley Square, and I went down for an opening once. I must say I was underwhelmed (by Trolley Square—not his artwork). There were a number of restaurants and some interesting-looking places, but for all of the little blurbs I’d seen Delaware promotional pamphlets about this “hip” and “vibrant” little enclave, I found it to be something less than advertised. At least that was my initial impression. Granted, it’s probably more happening than Kennett Square, but Kennett’s also not claiming to be the premier destination for young professionals in the state.

I’d say if you want to live in something resembling a town where you can be a part of the community, walk to local nightspots, etc., try out both Kennett and Trolley Square extensively, and decide where you feel you can be more at home. But if you plan to move into a suburban/rural home where you have to get into your car to do anything, you can essentially move anywhere in the countryside near the PA/DE border. At that point, it’s just a matter of finding a home you like at a price you can afford and making sure the other variables of taxes, schools etc. work out.

This 100%. I lived in Wilmington for several months and the city overall is underwhelming. Comparable size cities like Lancaster and Harrisburg have far more going on.

With all the talk of Trolley Square I expected something halfway decent. There are probably 2 restaurants and 2 solid bars. Other than that. Not alot going on.

The Wilmington waterfront is disneyfied IMO as well. It feels very suburban and tacky. Just my two cents.

Kennet Square is a cute town that puts you nearby both West Chester and Northern Delaware for all your needs.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:24 AM

60 posts, read 63,896 times
I agree and find Trolley to be extremely underwhelming... At some point that may change, but not soon. There is definitely more going on the Kennett than in Trolley.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:07 AM

409 posts, read 369,810 times
I agree with what everyone is saying, and recant calling Trolley Square "pretty ideal". Trolley Square, while known as a nightlife hotspot, is not exactly a good nightlife hotspot.

Wilmington in general lacks the charm and sense of safety that Newark and Kennett Square offer. It's walkable, but not a place you would want to walk for the sake of walking. If you like grittiness, which some people do, then maybe living in Wilmington isn't a tradeoff.

Kennett Square gets a bad rap of being out on the edge of civilization, and mostly being families and mushroom farmers, but it's actually a nice spot that offers a good value and stuff to do. In 5-10 years, I can see it actually dethroning West Chester as the center of Chester County's food scene.

Newark, as other mentioned, has the transient student population and the problems that come with it. But it is a safe and charming-enough town that's worth considering.

You can also pick anywhere in between, and be a relatively short Uber ride to at least one of the above. I lived within walking distance of bars when I was your age (in West Chester borough, 10 years ago), but in the age of Uber, I don't think being walking distance to bars is the worth same premium that it once did.

Final Dark Horse: Oxford, PA. This idea is literally "out there" but it's a short-enough, traffic-free commute to both Kennett Square and Newark (but far from Philly). It has 1-2 blocks of a charming downtown, with (I believe) two bars. But what it does offer is value: smaller standalone houses are currently listed in the low-300's. Housing prices should rise, as it's becoming a popular destination for homebuilders. It could be a good proposition for a starter home that will be a safe investment and likely gain value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia