Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 AM

463 posts, read 206,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I feel bad for restaurants. The lack of leadership from the federal government has been so freaking awful. Restaurant and bar owners should be getting paid and their employees receiving support so they can close or operate at reduced capacity until things improve. But of course, GOP leadership doesn't want that - they'd rather make the Democratic mayors and Governors look bad for protecting public health, which is exactly what our government should be doing!

But here come the Trump trolls who are doing exactly what he and the GOP leadership in the state want them to do.

Luckily, the warm weather streak looks to continue in Philly and outdoor dining has been succesful. Here's to hoping we have a warm winter and outdoor dining can continue throughout!
There is blame on both parties for the tit for tat government strategy, which was largely centered on illegal immigration earlier in Trump's presidency.

However, the Federal Government SHOULD absolutely support the restaurants and small businesses that they are forcing to close. Enough of the "bailout" bills that are stuffed with unrelated campaign promises (Pelosi is very bad about this historically, but so are many Pubs). The problem with all of this is that the cities and the Federal government are not on the same page with the COVID response and the other disagreements across party lines (or personal tiffs mainly started by Trump) are causing a very badly coordinated response. Something I'm hopeful Biden will fix if Trump will allow the transition to start...

And enough of the big bailouts for the big corporations. I'd favor the Fed making payments to restaurants 80% of their income from the same month the previous year, minus payroll, which should go directly to the employees (80%). Good luck getting anyone to do anything for the truly affected, and even if you could, the government is too incompetent to get the payments out accurately and in a timely fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 06:13 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Was able to go to PJ Clarke on 6th and Walnut for the last time last night and now will be in on the weekends probably until the spring

Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
LOL!!!! I know much better than to submit to a Wolf!!! This is just ridiculous and clearly violates the Right to Privacy. Please do not tell me that you are actually going to submit to a Wolf controlling your life like this.

I gotta say that it is really hilarious to think how a Wolf got into governor's office in the first place. The alternative must've been a pretty bad choice by most people for them to vote for a Wolf as their governor. I guess the Boy falsely Cried Wolf too many times. This is so laughable and hilarious!!!
Been paying attention?

As of now, the Office of the Governor has issued no new statewide restrictions or lockdowns. The restrictions we're talking about apply only within the Philadelphia city limits and come from Mayor Jim Kenney and the head of his Public Health Department.

Frankly, I think the blanket ban on gatherings of any unrelated people in private spaces is unenforceable. The statewide lockdown carved out an exception for relatives or friends visiting shut-in individuals to check on them or bring food or other supplies.

I also suspect the requirement that everyone in a restaurant party come from the same household will be difficult to enforce at best. Restaurant reservation systems are not currently set up to gather home address information on everyone in a party.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:10 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Been paying attention?

As of now, the Office of the Governor has issued no new statewide restrictions or lockdowns. The restrictions we're talking about apply only within the Philadelphia city limits and come from Mayor Jim Kenney and the head of his Public Health Department.

Frankly, I think the blanket ban on gatherings of any unrelated people in private spaces is unenforceable. The statewide lockdown carved out an exception for relatives or friends visiting shut-in individuals to check on them or bring food or other supplies.

I also suspect the requirement that everyone in a restaurant party come from the same household will be difficult to enforce at best. Restaurant reservation systems are not currently set up to gather home address information on everyone in a party.
I guess you are right. I am just pretty angry about the whole mask mandate strengthening when they want everyone inside the house when guests are around to wear masks. It is not enforceable but just saying.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:22 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I ventured out last night, and I really did not notice too much disruption in terms of retail. I was able to go in and out several stores without a wait.

This was a Friday night, so not exactly prime shopping time, but it was welcoming to know that non essential businesses are still open, compared to the first lockdown, when everything was shut down, including most bus lines, making living in the city, pretty painful.

Restaurants will be hit the hardest, but looking at the weather for the next month, it actually looks pretty mild, with most days in the mid 50s, which is not too bad for outdoor dinning.

If one thing I have noticed, is I think this outdoor dinning trend will continue post pandemic. Eating in the bit chillier weather reminds me of Europe, which it is very common to do there. You really did not find that in the US, until now.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
If one thing I have noticed, is I think this outdoor dinning trend will continue post pandemic. Eating in the bit chillier weather reminds me of Europe, which it is very common to do there. You really did not find that in the US, until now.
I really hope you're right here.

And I believe that, once enough of the populace has been vaccinated to reduce the threat and everyone can go back to business more or less as usual, the work-from-home trend will also not reverse to the point where the traffic engineers want to reclaim the curb parking spaces now used by the restaurants. Dare I hope that the street closings on weekends that occur in several places will continue too?

Old 11-21-2020, 06:25 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
...most days in the mid 50s, which is not too bad for outdoor dinning.
Now, that could be an interesting question....how cold is too cold to sit outside and eat. (or even stand, trying to eat a taco....)

Personally, I have no interest in sitting outside and eating in 55 degree weather.....whether it's sunny with no breeze or not, let alone if it's windy. Had that option last weekend at a place in Concordville. We chose to eat indoors.

When officials say "outside".....will places still be allowed to use the thick plastic "patio tents" they sometimes put up, around and over their outside dining spaces? Those tents are usually open to the restaurant, or open at one sidewalk end.....

Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Now, that could be an interesting question....how cold is too cold to sit outside and eat. (or even stand, trying to eat a taco....)

Personally, I have no interest in sitting outside and eating in 55 degree weather.....whether it's sunny with no breeze or not, let alone if it's windy. Had that option last weekend at a place in Concordville. We chose to eat indoors.

When officials say "outside".....will places still be allowed to use the thick plastic "patio tents" they sometimes put up, around and over their outside dining spaces? Those tents are usually open to the restaurant, or open at one sidewalk end.....
Several restaurants here have put sheds with plastic sheeting, open at one end, over their outdoor dining space. One of them even built a heating unit and ran a duct along the enclosed end of the shed.

I'm not sure whether the full patio-tent treatment would still qualify as "outdoor" dining.

Frankly, I would prefer that the dining rules hinged on how often the air changes inside the room. We've had no outbreaks on subways or buses because the air inside them changes every 2 to 3 minutes. I don't know what the frequency is to reduce or prevent aerial spread, but ISTR 15-20 minutes is adequate.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:38 AM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Several restaurants here have put sheds with plastic sheeting, open at one end, over their outdoor dining space. One of them even built a heating unit and ran a duct along the enclosed end of the shed.

I'm not sure whether the full patio-tent treatment would still qualify as "outdoor" dining.

Frankly, I would prefer that the dining rules hinged on how often the air changes inside the room. We've had no outbreaks on subways or buses because the air inside them changes every 2 to 3 minutes. I don't know what the frequency is to reduce or prevent aerial spread, but ISTR 15-20 minutes is adequate.
Unless they leave significant portions of the tent open it’s not outdoor dining. There are multiple studies demonstrating that tents and other structures that aren’t open to allow effective air circulation are no better than indoor dining where viral spread is concerned.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

If you need a jacket on then that means you shouldnt be eating outside. And definitely not 55 degrees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia