Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2020, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 967 times

Advertisements

Using Google Maps I created a metro network that incorporates the subways, regional rail, PATCO, and additional non-existent lines. Let me know what you think! Would this be practical for where you live? Does it seem to expansive?

[url]https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1qVPuyMnBlWuVITPamuhNg1nVzCqNqIR8&ll=39 .97691025832941%2C-75.06281420480416&z=10[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 07:16 AM

121 posts, read 97,998 times
That would be a dream to have that transit in the city. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. I am curious why you chose Almond St in Port Richmond to run heavy or light rail down. It definitely is not wide enough for on the surface two way rail and probably not even if you tunnel. I would suggest extending the 15 to Bridesburg and run it at higher frequencies. The only street the might be wide enough going in the NE direction to do an underground subway would be Aramingo.

2.Continuing past Bridesburg into Wissinoming would just duplicate the service of the Trenton line, no?

3.The 29th Street subway would be awesome but I think it would be better to continue it on Henry avenue since the top of the hill is a bit of a transit deadzone with the 27 and 9 frequently getting stuck on the Schuylkill. This would also prevent it from duplicating the Manayunk/Norristown line.

4. I always thought the BLVD in the NE would be best suited for a subway given its width but Castor may actually be a better choice given that it is a thriving and growing commercial corridor surrounded by dense housing on both sides where the BLVD is surround by a lot of shopping centers that might be better served with true BRT. I am curious your thoughts behind this.

5.I am not as well versed in NJ's transit needs but that looks like it would connect much of South Jersey to Philly!

6. I would probably run a new South Philly Subway down 8th and then turn at Passyunk and take Passyunk down to the Schuylkill and then have a 5th Street line that goes from north to south to effectively replace the need for the 47 which is one of the heaviest SEPTA routes and frequently gets stuck in traffic. There were actually some good stories on WHYY about the 47 and how it connects both of Philadelphia's large and growing Latino communities.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:58 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
SEPTA subway and regional rail needs to expand. Septa needs to go all the way to the lehigh valley and sommerville.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
SEPTA subway and regional rail needs to expand. Septa needs to go all the way to the lehigh valley and sommerville.

I think in these times of fiscal diffculty, SEPTA needs to do the reverse. Forget any expansion. Fix the MFL cars that are all broken. Finish the SEPTA key/Phone intergration. Clean the stations.. That's it. I think they should forget about the KOP extension for forever.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:43 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think in these times of fiscal diffculty, SEPTA needs to do the reverse. Forget any expansion. Fix the MFL cars that are all broken. Finish the SEPTA key/Phone intergration. Clean the stations.. That's it. I think they should forget about the KOP extension for forever.

no. THe traffic to KOP is insane. America needs passenger rail!

Old 12-23-2020, 10:43 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I mostly disagree with this, although system fixes should be made. The KOP extension absolutely needs to happen. Also, SEPTA needs to step up its program of RR platform raising; they should establish a goal of all platforms be raised in 2 years. They can do it. The system is very extensive now, but it needs to be upgraded.

SEPTA needs to build a large transfer station in North Phila connecting the BSS with North Philadelphia and North Broad stations on the regional rail. Would also

Next is better, faster signaling in the core area in Center City, esp between Jefferson and 30th Street stations were there's usually a bottleneck during rush hour and trains creep along or stop often. Train frequency should increase to at least a train every 30 minutes on every line. Hourly service on train lines, esp shorter ones like the city-bound Chestnut Hill lines is absurd.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:18 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I mostly disagree with this, although system fixes should be made. The KOP extension absolutely needs to happen. Also, SEPTA needs to step up its program of RR platform raising; they should establish a goal of all platforms be raised in 2 years. They can do it. The system is very extensive now, but it needs to be upgraded.

SEPTA needs to build a large transfer station in North Phila connecting the BSS with North Philadelphia and North Broad stations on the regional rail. Would also

Next is better, faster signaling in the core area in Center City, esp between Jefferson and 30th Street stations were there's usually a bottleneck during rush hour and trains creep along or stop often. Train frequency should increase to at least a train every 30 minutes on every line. Hourly service on train lines, esp shorter ones like the city-bound Chestnut Hill lines is absurd.
I would argue that restored regional rail service to Phoenixville if not Pottstown, Telford if not Quakertown, and West Chester, which combined would cost less than the bloated, over-engineered NHSL project (which should be nicknamed the Schuylkill Valley Metro 2 so we can be ready for the government to reject it as unrealistic and too expensive), would be far more transformative to the region. But that’s just me. Take the cash left over from not building the NHSL extension as planned and stick trolley tracks right down a widened 202 where I think they used to be. I’m no expert on this stuff but I think there’d still be money left over.

In all reality, though SEPTA is vital, under-funded, and under-appreciated, it is also a very devious organization that purposely comes up with expensive boondoggles that they know will be rejected because they don’t want to expand their system. Combine this with complacent local politicians and uninterested business leaders, and nothing ever gets improved. When the NHSL gets scrapped for being too expensive, and/or if funding is not identified, SEPTA will simply say “Oh well, we tried.” If, however, Biden sends $2 billion our way, and it gets used for this 5-mile, $400 million per mile project, that would be a tragic mistake and a huge waste of a once-in-a-lifetime cash infusion into this area. At least in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:16 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I would argue that restored regional rail service to Phoenixville if not Pottstown, Telford if not Quakertown, and West Chester, which combined would cost less than the bloated, over-engineered NHSL project (which should be nicknamed the Schuylkill Valley Metro 2 so we can be ready for the government to reject it as unrealistic and too expensive), would be far more transformative to the region. But that’s just me. Take the cash left over from not building the NHSL extension as planned and stick trolley tracks right down a widened 202 where I think they used to be. I’m no expert on this stuff but I think there’d still be money left over.

In all reality, though SEPTA is vital, under-funded, and under-appreciated, it is also a very devious organization that purposely comes up with expensive boondoggles that they know will be rejected because they don’t want to expand their system. Combine this with complacent local politicians and uninterested business leaders, and nothing ever gets improved. When the NHSL gets scrapped for being too expensive, and/or if funding is not identified, SEPTA will simply say “Oh well, we tried.” If, however, Biden sends $2 billion our way, and it gets used for this 5-mile, $400 million per mile project, that would be a tragic mistake and a huge waste of a once-in-a-lifetime cash infusion into this area. At least in my opinion.
Agreed.
2 billion dollars for a 5 mile elevated line is really absurd.

1.5 million people, and 2 subway lines.
Why not invest this 2 billion into an extension of elevated services to the Northeast.

or

2 billion dollars to increase regional rail frequency, and infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia