Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 07:55 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times

Advertisements

The poster who suggested the $1200 apartment--I don't think OP is looking to rent the apartment in the hopes of finding a roommate. She wants to find a room, big difference.

I see some options on craigslist for rooms/shared apartments. Some of them are in "iffy" areas but in your price range. You should try to scope out the neighborhood before actually committing to something. If you don't mind commuting I would suggest the suburbs instead of the city. First, the room/shared apartment has a good chance of being cheaper than the city; and 2nd, the suburbs are safer. For instance, I see a shared studio situation for $300 in Hatboro with a gay massage therapist. Hatboro is ideal, it's safe, has ample places to do your laundry and get food, and has a train that goes directly to the city. Personally I would rather live with the gay massage therapist than live in University City or near Temple hospital. You could rig up a screen partition for privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 06:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
You'll most likely find something similar in Philly at your $500 price range. You're also pretty much limited to areas with public transportations so your options are going to be much more limited than if you were driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePasta View Post

And it is important to me that the neighborhood be safe. In my old neighborhood in NYC, which people called "up-and-coming" or "transitional," people would play loud music on the street in front of the apartment building until 3 am some weeknights. In the summers they regularly held "block parties," and all year long in fine weather they hung out on the front porches smoking marijuana all day long. A friend came over recently and said she would never have moved into a wild neighborhood like that, and I never want to again.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:58 AM

12 posts, read 17,017 times
Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate your responses, discouraging (but not entirely unexpected) as they are! Thank you.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:32 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePasta View Post
Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate your responses, discouraging (but not entirely unexpected) as they are! Thank you.
I still live with my folks in King of Prussia. King of Prussia has transit and they're trying to make it more transit friendly. It's expensive, so I don't think you'd find much here for $500/month. Bridgeport you might, it's a blue collar borough of King of Prussia. There are buses and you can walk to the high speed line that would take you into 69th Street, then the Market Frankford Line to the city.

I don't drive either, for the same reasons. You mentioned that you'll be working from home, so I assume you won't be going into an office? Being based in the suburbs would be ideal, as it is cheaper. I like someone's suggestion of Hatboro. You might be better off looking around there.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:23 AM

12 posts, read 8,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
The poster who suggested the $1200 apartment--I don't think OP is looking to rent the apartment in the hopes of finding a roommate. She wants to find a room, big difference.

I see some options on craigslist for rooms/shared apartments. Some of them are in "iffy" areas but in your price range. You should try to scope out the neighborhood before actually committing to something. If you don't mind commuting I would suggest the suburbs instead of the city. First, the room/shared apartment has a good chance of being cheaper than the city; and 2nd, the suburbs are safer. For instance, I see a shared studio situation for $300 in Hatboro with a gay massage therapist. Hatboro is ideal, it's safe, has ample places to do your laundry and get food, and has a train that goes directly to the city. Personally I would rather live with the gay massage therapist than live in University City or near Temple hospital. You could rig up a screen partition for privacy.
That guy is still posting?? I was looking for a place for place 2 years ago and he kept posting, bumping and renewing his ad all the time.

I don't think it's "only" $300. It's probably $300 and "favors". I grew up in Horsham (right next to Hatboro) and you won't find anything anywhere near $300 in that area even sharing...

Old 01-08-2021, 10:07 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb69 View Post
That guy is still posting?? I was looking for a place for place 2 years ago and he kept posting, bumping and renewing his ad all the time.

I don't think it's "only" $300. It's probably $300 and "favors". I grew up in Horsham (right next to Hatboro) and you won't find anything anywhere near $300 in that area even sharing...
"Favors"?

Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
"Favors"?
For $300 dollars he was expecting something.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:39 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
You might be able to swing this in Drexel Hill, which has good access to buses, trolleys, and the Norristown High Speed Line. It's not a top-tier neighborhood, but it's very safe and has proven stable.

Mind you, I base this suggestion on the fact that my uncle just moved to a two-bedroom in an apartment complex there for $1,200/month. I don't know if there's another managed property or a private landlord who can offer something for a bit less, but it's worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-13-2021 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: removed rude off topic remark

Old 01-10-2021, 04:11 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
You may be able to swing this in Drexel Hill, which is well-connected to buses, trolleys, and the Norristown High Speed Line. It’s not a hot neighborhood, but it’s very safe and has proven stable.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:09 PM

403 posts, read 295,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You may be able to swing this in Drexel Hill, which is well-connected to buses, trolleys, and the Norristown High Speed Line. It’s not a hot neighborhood, but it’s very safe and has proven stable.
I agree, or even closer in Upper Darby. Which has the subway line to take you to Center City in less than 20 minutes.

Honestly I see Upper Darby taking off sooner than later, given its connectivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia