Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 04:56 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,419 times

Advertisements

The anti-car people just don't give up, do they?

Some people like having a car, some don't. It can't be that big a problem because I see cars all over the place in every neighborhood.

OP - Tell your daughter to keep the car, you don't want her on public transit in that area (or any area in Philadelphia.) Yes, a car can be a teeny bit stressful in a congested neighborhood, but it's nothing compared to the stress of dealing with public transit and the people who use it. Not to mention standing around in the cold, wind, rain, snow and heat waiting to get picked up.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:14 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

Some people like having a car, some don't. It can't be that big a problem because I see cars all over the place in every neighborhood.

OP - Tell your daughter to keep the car, you don't want her on public transit in that area (or any area in Philadelphia.) Yes, a car can be a teeny bit stressful in a congested neighborhood, but it's nothing compared to the stress of dealing with public transit and the people who use it. Not to mention standing around in the cold, wind, rain, snow and heat waiting to get picked up.
That’s rather extreme. Even if the OP’s daughter decides to keep the car, she can (and should!) still take advantage of public transit when parking would be expensive and difficult. The car would come in handy for bigger errands, like grocery store runs, and weekend outings outside the city.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That’s rather extreme. Even if the OP’s daughter decides to keep the car, she can (and should!) still take advantage of public transit when parking would be expensive and difficult. The car would come in handy for bigger errands, like grocery store runs, and weekend outings outside the city.

Yes--it doesn't have to be one or the other. I don't quite get always telling people to ditch their cars --I mean they already have one and most likely will be using it to move. It is an added convenience no matter what part of the city (although it can be an expensive "convenience" if in Center City--but even then my Sister lives at 5th and Delancey with a car she barely uses but still finds parking near her apartment on the rare days it's used.

In other areas like Northwest Philly having a car will be a definite convenience with few drawbacks --this is still a country built around the auto even though Philly is not and SEPTA hopefully is improving.

If Regional Rail actually does implement 15 Min headways I can say I will for sure think of ditching my car.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarch View Post
Hi all

This question has been asked before and I saw the previous replies. However the ones I saw are quite old threads. If I missed any new threads I apologize and please direct me there.

My daughter is hoping to join Temple this year as a freshman. She grew up in a calm midwest town with not a lot of risk. I think she is reasonably sensible but I guess we never know.

What is it like in terms of safety around Temple university? She wishes to live off campus and she has a car. Is it a reasonable area to drive in and out of safety-wise? She also wishes to pick up some part time work in the area. She doesn't have to live near TU. Any suggestions on apartments in a driving distance that are safe and reasonable cost wise - 1-1.5k per month should be ok for rental.

Her other option is Chicago.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Freshman generally live on campus. That holds true at nearly any university. Living in a dorm is quintessential part of the college experience. There are a number of very large 'off-campus' apartment buildings adjacent to Temple's campus that are popular with students. Many offer parking.

https://www.theviewatmontgomery.com/

https://www.pursuevantage.com/

https://pmcpropertygroup.com/properties/kardon-atlantic-apartments

https://www.americancampus.com/stude...village-temple

https://campuslivingvillages.com/uni...emple-housing/

https://www.templegreenery.com/

https://thenest1324.com/

Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes--it doesn't have to be one or the other. I don't quite get always telling people to ditch their cars --I mean they already have one and most likely will be using it to move. It is an added convenience no matter what part of the city (although it can be an expensive "convenience" if in Center City--but even then my Sister lives at 5th and Delancey with a car she barely uses but still finds parking near her apartment on the rare days it's used.

In other areas like Northwest Philly having a car will be a definite convenience with few drawbacks --this is still a country built around the auto even though Philly is not and SEPTA hopefully is improving.

If Regional Rail actually does implement 15 Min headways I can say I will for sure think of ditching my car.
The biggest issue is that the overwhelming majority of colleges don’t allow freshmen to park on-campus if they live on-campus. In addition to the fact that the OP’s daughter is leaning towards living off-campus, Temple is the rare university that seems to let freshmen bring their cars to campus—probably a nod to its historic commuter school roots.

Bringing your car to an urban campus is certainly a luxury. Parking on-campus generally isn’t too expensive, but insurance, gas, and vehicle wear-and-tear can add up. However, the OP hasn’t raised those concerns, so as long as that amount of money isn’t an object, you can have your car (and eat it? Drive it?) too.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:43 AM

752 posts, read 459,941 times
Quote:
That’s rather extreme. Even if the OP’s daughter decides to keep the car, she can (and should!) still take advantage of public transit when parking would be expensive and difficult.
I agree, that is a silly comment. Riding on transit is much safer than the neighborhoods it travels through. For as much as crime is crazy right now, haven't heard much crime on transit. Generally speaking, it's safe, cheap, and convenient.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
The biggest issue is that the overwhelming majority of colleges don’t allow freshmen to park on-campus if they live on-campus. In addition to the fact that the OP’s daughter is leaning towards living off-campus, Temple is the rare university that seems to let freshmen bring their cars to campus—probably a nod to its historic commuter school roots.

Bringing your car to an urban campus is certainly a luxury. Parking on-campus generally isn’t too expensive, but insurance, gas, and vehicle wear-and-tear can add up. However, the OP hasn’t raised those concerns, so as long as that amount of money isn’t an object, you can have your car (and eat it? Drive it?) too.

That is true--I was thinking OP's daughter was looking at Grad school but it's different if she will be an Undergrad Freshman. I went to school in The Bronx and 1 kid (from Brooklyn no less) had his car on campus which was very rare among Freshman undergrads. I think he just loved his car lol.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
Oh really now????
what types of school do you consider academically challenging? My program was very challenging when I was a student at Temple. And I am not talking about some BS program like Art History.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Curious. Do you live in PA? If you don't, the out of state tuition at Temple was almost $30,000 for the 2019-2020 academic year. Bound to be more this year. Note: Temple is not that academically challenging a university.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:13 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
I agree. Public Transportation in the city these days is not safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

Old 03-09-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Oh really now????
what types of school do you consider academically challenging? My program was very challenging when I was a student at Temple. And I am not talking about some BS program like Art History.
As usual, he has no idea what he’s talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia