Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

Is it like Chicago or Toronro?

Can you ride any of the trains to NJ/NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
You can take the R7 to Trenton, where it parks right behind the NJ Transit train to Penn Station.

I'm not familiar with Chicago or Toronto, so I can't compare to those.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I'd say that Philly is about on par with Chicago. I haven't been to Toronto so I can't compare. We've got several commuter trains (Regional Rail), light rail "trolleys" and two subway routes (one of them Elevated at spots).

Some people think having conductors on commuter trains is antiquated. Others find it adds an extra measure of security. Many people agree that it would be nice to have an "add-a-fare" card that can be loaded up instead of tokens, tickets and weekly/monthly zone passes. Fares are not cheap compared to other cities but it's still less expensive than driving.

To get to NYC using local transit, you can take Philly's SEPTA R7 Regional Rail line to Trenton and transfer to the New Jersey Transit train immediately ahead of it. The trip takes just over two hours and costs perhaps $25. Amtrak runs the same route although you'd pay way over double the price to shave off a half hour.

Check out SEPTA .

Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
There are also many Greyhound buses and Chinatown buses that go to/from NYC, plus BoltBus and starting 5/30, Megabus to/from NYC as well. I think most people use SEPTA/NJT, Greyhound, or the Chinatown buses, rather than Amtrak (which is really expensive on the Northeast Corridor), for travel between Philadelphia and New York.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
In comparing Philadelphia to Chicago transit-wise, Philly has a much less extensive heavy/light rail system (SEPTA + PATCO + NJ Transit) than Chicago. The regional/commuter rail systems are fairly comparable though Chicago's system extends further away from the city. (Like Chicago, which has one primary operator - Metra - and one secondary, geographic-specific operator - South Shore Line, Philadelphia also has one primary provider - SEPTA - and one secondary, geographic-specific provider - NJ Transit, which has service to/from Atlantic City.) The bus systems (CTA + Pace vs. SEPTA + NJ Transit) are likely comparable as well, though I suspect CTA/Pace are somewhat more extensive. In terms of rail connections (both between local rail and regional rail and between different regional rail lines), I think Philadelphia is much better than Chicago (which isn't saying much because IMO the CTA/Metra system is not well-connected). Also, because the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads were headquartered in Philadelphia many years ago, the entire SEPTA Regional Rail network is electrified, and much of the system is grade-separated too.

The area where Philadelphia is much stronger than Chicago transit-wise in terms of system options themselves is intercity connections. Of course, this is primarily because Philly is much closer to other large cities (New York, Baltimore, Washington) than Chicago is (Milwaukee). There is a lot of regional and interregional bus service on Greyhound, NJ Transit, and a few Trailways providers, and Amtrak service is very extensive, not only on the Northeast Corridor but also on the Keystone Corridor west to Lancaster and Harrisburg.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Much appreciation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'd say that Philly is about on par with Chicago. I haven't been to Toronto so I can't compare. We've got several commuter trains (Regional Rail), light rail "trolleys" and two subway routes (one of them Elevated at spots).

Some people think having conductors on commuter trains is antiquated. Others find it adds an extra measure of security. Many people agree that it would be nice to have an "add-a-fare" card that can be loaded up instead of tokens, tickets and weekly/monthly zone passes. Fares are not cheap compared to other cities but it's still less expensive than driving.

To get to NYC using local transit, you can take Philly's SEPTA R7 Regional Rail line to Trenton and transfer to the New Jersey Transit train immediately ahead of it. The trip takes just over two hours and costs perhaps $25. Amtrak runs the same route although you'd pay way over double the price to shave off a half hour.

Check out SEPTA .

Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Thanks JB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
You can take the R7 to Trenton, where it parks right behind the NJ Transit train to Penn Station.

I'm not familiar with Chicago or Toronto, so I can't compare to those.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Thanks a million C72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
There are also many Greyhound buses and Chinatown buses that go to/from NYC, plus BoltBus and starting 5/30, Megabus to/from NYC as well. I think most people use SEPTA/NJT, Greyhound, or the Chinatown buses, rather than Amtrak (which is really expensive on the Northeast Corridor), for travel between Philadelphia and New York.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks again CP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
In comparing Philadelphia to Chicago transit-wise, Philly has a much less extensive heavy/light rail system (SEPTA + PATCO + NJ Transit) than Chicago. The regional/commuter rail systems are fairly comparable though Chicago's system extends further away from the city. (Like Chicago, which has one primary operator - Metra - and one secondary, geographic-specific operator - South Shore Line, Philadelphia also has one primary provider - SEPTA - and one secondary, geographic-specific provider - NJ Transit, which has service to/from Atlantic City.) The bus systems (CTA + Pace vs. SEPTA + NJ Transit) are likely comparable as well, though I suspect CTA/Pace are somewhat more extensive. In terms of rail connections (both between local rail and regional rail and between different regional rail lines), I think Philadelphia is much better than Chicago (which isn't saying much because IMO the CTA/Metra system is not well-connected). Also, because the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads were headquartered in Philadelphia many years ago, the entire SEPTA Regional Rail network is electrified, and much of the system is grade-separated too.

The area where Philadelphia is much stronger than Chicago transit-wise in terms of system options themselves is intercity connections. Of course, this is primarily because Philly is much closer to other large cities (New York, Baltimore, Washington) than Chicago is (Milwaukee). There is a lot of regional and interregional bus service on Greyhound, NJ Transit, and a few Trailways providers, and Amtrak service is very extensive, not only on the Northeast Corridor but also on the Keystone Corridor west to Lancaster and Harrisburg.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
This is a new bus service from 30th Street to either Penn Station or Canal Street in NYC. It is subsidiary of Greyhound and competition for the Chinatown buses. They also go to Washington and will be going to Boston.

How do you set your fares?

Our goal is to offer our customers as inexpensive a ticket as possible and still make an operating profit. Our fares will start @ $1 (plus a transaction or booking fee), with a minimum of one $1 fare available on every schedule we operate every day. The fares we charge will vary by day of week, overall passenger demand and how many days until the travel will take place. Typically someone who purchases a week or two out will receive the cheapest fares so it will save you money to plan ahead. Even our higher walkup fares will be reasonable and will allow for inexpensive spur of the moment travel.

www.boltbus.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia