U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 05:19 PM

8,823 posts, read 11,950,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Wyndmoor is not going to get you a half acre of land for a $700k budget. It's too close in. It is a nice area, though.
Can second both points, as a Wyndmoor resident, although you can get a plenty nice home at that price point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 12:00 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,804,933 times
Quote:
Well, considering your budget and needs, you could relocate almost anywhere in the general area of Plymouth Meeting and be fine. Almost all of the suburban Philly schools in that area are good, so that's not a huge concern. Someone suggested the Main Line to get the top, top rated schools (i.e. Lower Merion, Radnor, Unionville, Conestoga, etc.), but frankly, that's not necessary because many other districts in the suburbs are very good and quality of public education is not really an issue anywhere. The problem with the Main Line is that that is the one place where your budget won't get you what you want in terms of land and space (will need probably $1m-$1.5m for a half acre with a big home on the Main Line).

I'd recommend looking in the more rural areas near Plymouth Meeting where you'd be more likely to find a half acre and a big home. Maybe Blue Bell, Springhouse, Kulpsville, Skippack, Harleysville, etc. You'll be more likely to find bigger lots in your price range in those slightly more rural areas of Montgomery County, but they are still well within a 30 min commute to Plymouth Meeting.
OK, yes, I was a "Main Line suggestor" but now that I look at what's available in the $700K range, I realize that's probably not practical. (Been awhile since I've lived there.) So I'll go back to my original suggestion of somewhere on the east side of the 476/276 interchange (such as the places you mentioned above). But that's not even really a big deal since the commute will only be once a week.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Check out Blue Bell and Ambler. Absolutely beautiful area.

Homes are a little more affordable than the suburbs out towards King of Prussia and the Main Line. The Main Line is a string of affluent suburbs west of Plymouth Meeting. It is absolutely beautiful.. your budget though would get you an outdated and much smaller home.

You might also want to consider Wyndmoor which is a charming area in a good school district but close to Chestnut Hill which is a really beautiful part of Philadelphia.

And my last suggestion to get the most house for your money would be Phoenixville. Your commute would be the longest from here though with a bit of a bottleneck on 76 until you get to 476... although it is totally doable.
Phoenixville looks like it is a nice mix of a town and rural area. We would love an area with hills (we’re originally from West Virginia and love those hills and the mountains and hills in CA). We just love the change in terrain. According to Google maps, the drive to PM is about 25-30 minutes during rush hour. Is that accurate or is that less than normal given many people are probably still telecommuting. According to my reading, there are a lot of families in that area and many activities for families.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:47 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,804,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbasile View Post
Phoenixville looks like it is a nice mix of a town and rural area. We would love an area with hills (we’re originally from West Virginia and love those hills and the mountains and hills in CA). We just love the change in terrain. According to Google maps, the drive to PM is about 25-30 minutes during rush hour. Is that accurate or is that less than normal given many people are probably still telecommuting. According to my reading, there are a lot of families in that area and many activities for families.
Hmmm, hills...I don't remember Phoenixville as being particularly hilly but then again I haven't been there in awhile. When I think of hills, I think of Valley Forge area, Berwyn, Upper Gulph Road, etc., but they're mostly wooded with tall trees, not sure how that compares to the hills of WV. After CA, you'll be really disappointed in the mountains in PA. I would not count on 25-30 in rush hour.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:01 AM

7,357 posts, read 4,706,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hmmm, hills...I don't remember Phoenixville as being particularly hilly but then again I haven't been there in awhile. When I think of hills, I think of Valley Forge area, Berwyn, Upper Gulph Road, etc., but they're mostly wooded with tall trees, not sure how that compares to the hills of WV. After CA, you'll be really disappointed in the mountains in PA. I would not count on 25-30 in rush hour.

Yeah, the only area in the metro I can really think that has a bit more rugged hills akin to WV is upper Bucks towards the Delaware river.

Most of the areas around have what are called rolling hills.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:45 AM

146 posts, read 75,861 times
the Phoenixville area seems fairly hilly to me, maybe my bar is low though. I remember seeing hills walking around the main street area (which is really solid and has lots of beer options), and just driving around. Here's a random road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1037...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

I agree that the commute might get hairy though, seemed pretty busy to me even during the pandemic. Also, no train to Philly yet, if that matters. I guess you could drive and park at one of the main line stations though.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,908,988 times
Yea Phoenixville might fit all your boxes.

It has a charming downtown area with an interesting mix of things to see and do.

Homes are a bit more affordable than the Main Line but you are only a 15 or so minute drive to get to all those Main Line amenities.

Parts of Phoenixville definitely have what will be called "rolling hills" so yes it does have slight changes in elevation. It is not completely flat.

There is a small ski resort called Spring Mountain less than 20 minutes from Phoenixville... so I am not sure why others are saying that area is all flat. That is just not true. Although the Southeastern portion of Pennsylvania is really nothing like West Virginia in terms of mountainous terrain. But you can easily drive 90 minutes to the Pocono Mountains to get that feel....

The commute depending on where in the Phoenixville area you located could range anywhere from 35 - 50 minutes on average. Sometimes longer sometimes slightly quicker..

I would also encourage you to check out Ambler. It is another great area. A little more flat though.... but your commute would be very simple. If you lived in the Ambler/Blue Bell area you would have no need to travel on the mess of a highway called 76 and often referred to as the Schuylkill Expressway which is named after the river it runs along...

You might also want to look for communities north of Plymouth Meeting along the I 476 corridor. It is a toll road but it is a 6 lane recently modernized expressway and has little to no traffic for an easy commute. Somewhere like Skippack which has a small village feel to it but is close to Collegeville and Lansdale for all your major suburban amenities. Home prices going north along 476 will get you the biggest bang for your buck while keeping your best commute time.....

Good luck!

Last edited by rowhomecity; 04-22-2021 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 AM

6,485 posts, read 9,466,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Honestly, especially after traveling in different parts of the US, I've found that non-hilly areas are very much the exception in Pennsylvania.

Most of the Philly area certainly wouldn't compare to the true mountains of West Virginia, but the landscape is definitely very "rolling" outside of the fall line of Philadelphia/Delco. Topographically, it's the Piedmont region.

South Jersey is a different story, of course, as it's considered "coastal plain."

Old 04-22-2021, 02:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbasile View Post
25-30 mins from Phoenixville to PM during rush hour is probably not too unreasonable on "most" days (even once the pandemic is over), but there are several major traffic pain points along that commute, specifically on 422 going in to King of Prussia where it comes together with the Schuylkill Expy, turnpike, and 202, and on the turnpike itself between KoP and PM. Whenever there is any sort of disruption (e.g. weather, accident, construction, etc.), those places can back up very quickly and very badly.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:05 PM

31,579 posts, read 32,747,237 times
Quote:
25-30 mins from Phoenixville to PM during rush hour is probably not too unreasonable on "most" days (even once the pandemic is over), but there are several major traffic pain points along that commute, specifically on 422 going in to King of Prussia where it comes together with the Schuylkill Expy, turnpike, and 202, and on the turnpike itself between KoP and PM. Whenever there is any sort of disruption (e.g. weather, accident, construction, etc.), those places can back up very quickly and very badly.
I've parked for 45 minutes at the 202/276 junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia