Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 05:01 AM

979 posts, read 417,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by person333 View Post

As for crime, certain posters like to fearmonger about it for their own purposes. Don't get involved in the drug trade and don't live in a neighborhood that has a lot of gun violence, and you will be very unlikely to be a victim of gun violence.
And certain posters like to downplay crime for their own purposes (funny how the people complaining about the crime thread don't complain about the local media. They have a little more influence than C-D, yes?). The perception of out of control crime matters. The threat is there, and it's heavy in this city, even in Center City. The creatures killing are mostly killing/assaulting their own, they'll think nothing of killing/assaulting you or I for a simple perceived slight. It's not even gun violence normal people have to be concerned about - there's carjackings, quality of life and comfort level issues. Do you think motorcycles tearing through the city and a drift get together in front of City Hall make visitors feel safe? How about roving packs of feral teens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 08:49 AM

22 posts, read 13,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
And certain posters like to downplay crime for their own purposes (funny how the people complaining about the crime thread don't complain about the local media. They have a little more influence than C-D, yes?). The perception of out of control crime matters. The threat is there, and it's heavy in this city, even in Center City. The creatures killing are mostly killing/assaulting their own, they'll think nothing of killing/assaulting you or I for a simple perceived slight. It's not even gun violence normal people have to be concerned about - there's carjackings, quality of life and comfort level issues. Do you think motorcycles tearing through the city and a drift get together in front of City Hall make visitors feel safe? How about roving packs of feral teens?
Lmao I absolutely detest Larry Krasner, Jim Kenney, Danielle Outlaw, most of City Council, and the local media (the Inquirer carries Krasner's water, and I blame them for his reelection), so you're barking up the wrong tree with this one. And yes, they have allowed crime and quality of life issues to fester quite noticeably. The point, however, is that it is still possible to live a nice life here. Most people living in the better neighborhoods are not going to be victims of violent crime.

Bottom line is that when someone asks for advice about where to rent an apartment in the city, and Ashby Quinn suggests to that person they might get murdered, that is ridiculous and shows that Ashby Quinn has an agenda.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:23 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Lmao I absolutely detest Larry Krasner, Jim Kenney, Danielle Outlaw, most of City Council, and the local media (the Inquirer carries Krasner's water, and I blame them for his reelection), so you're barking up the wrong tree with this one. And yes, they have allowed crime and quality of life issues to fester quite noticeably. The point, however, is that it is still possible to live a nice life here. Most people living in the better neighborhoods are not going to be victims of violent crime.

Bottom line is that when someone asks for advice about where to rent an apartment in the city, and Ashby Quinn suggests to that person they might get murdered, that is ridiculous and shows that Ashby Quinn has an agenda.
Something I've learned in the nine years I've lived where I live:

Most people living in the worse neighborhoods won't either — and certain types of property crime (in particular, smash-and-grab thefts from cars) actually occur less frequently (the opportunists know the pickings will be better in the more affluent precincts).

BUT — and it's a big enough "but" — the odds of becoming collateral damage if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time are higher. (Were I living over the fried-chicken-and-burger joint instead of a quarter-block east of it the night of an in-the-street shootout a few months back, it might have been my leg that got hit by a stray bullet flying through the bedroom window.)

The presence of about four blocks of large freestanding Victorians, Colonials and Dutch Colonials occupied by affluent, mostly Black homeowners four blocks to my southwest* should clue you into the fact that the odds are still low enough that people willingly buy in some parts of this neighborhood (if the houses are right). But in much of it, one does need to be aware of one's surroundings more.

*This pocket of affluence also contains one of the oldest Black tennis clubs in the city. Go figure.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:

My rant wasn't personally aimed at you.
Yeah, you might be a victim in a 'better' city neighborhood, but you probably won't be. Same thing if you lived in a wicked part of Baltimore. You might be a victim, but you probably won't be. You can say that about Anyplace, USA. But you have a better chance of getting hurt in certain areas around a certain class of people. It's not even about getting murdered. How about 'just' getting robbed, assaulted, raped, carjacked or burgled? It's going on all over Philly, not so much in the suburbs.
AQ may not have an agenda, he/she may be an alarmist who actually cares about other's safety.

Last edited by henrychen; 12-23-2021 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-23-2021, 03:21 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I'll bite since the hook is likely out for me among others.

I'm not downplaying crime in the city. It's sadly trending upward IMO as we struggle to get through the pandemic. Your characterization of "feral creatures" does make one question your regard for people of certain economic and other demographics.

Nonetheless, if someone presents themselves as the typical person who would enjoy what the city has to offer - refer to my earlier research that the OP is 22 years old - then I will make suggestions about what neighborhoods they would likely enjoy rather than have them commute unnecessarily from the suburbs.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Your characterization of "feral creatures" does make one question your regard for people of certain economic and other demographics.

There's nothing to question.
I don't like criminals. Period. From rich white collar criminals to poor street thugs and everything in between. But it's the street thugs who are most likely to harm me and my family.
I also don't like rude, inconsiderate people.

Last edited by henrychen; 12-23-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia