Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 05:40 PM

947 posts, read 787,434 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Rittenhouse Sq neighborhood and will need internet service. I see T-Mobile's Home Internet service is available.

Does anyone have it? What download and upload speeds are you getting?

The quality of the service is dependent on the quality of the 5G reception and congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 05:28 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Is it available city-wide? I typed in my zip code and it said unavailable. (But I was half paying attention so will try again.)

A family member in far SW has it and says it's fine
I'll be looking at getting this summer.

So PO'd I can't get FIOS, which I've had before (in MD) and was pleased with.
The hold Xfinity has on Philly has pihssed me off for 40 years.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:46 AM

All I know is my family member has six people in his household now and they're online all the time -- two of them students in cyber school (so obviously they need dependable speedy the Internet at all times). He says it's been fine. He just got it less than a couple of months ago. So he's on some sign-up deal. Could that make a difference? Don't know.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
All I know is my family member has six people in his household now and they're online all the time -- two of them students in cyber school (so obviously they need dependable speedy the Internet at all times). He says it's been fine. He just got it less than a couple of months ago. So he's on some sign-up deal. Could that make a difference? Don't know.
It can vary from location to location. I tried it out here in Vegas, before I decided to relocate. It was really fast at all hours of the day. I'm line-of-sight to a 5G TMobile antenna atop the hospital behind adjacent to my condo. The population density here is way lower than Philadelphia, even with the hospital next door.

There is a 15-day trial period. If you order it, just be aware the 15 days start as soon as the modem ships. I returned the modem after two days and was assured my account was closed. However a few days later, I checked and it was still open. It took a second call to ensure it has been closed. It's been more than two weeks now and no charges have hit my credit card.

Interesting, the T-Mobile rep said they are asking all customers returning the modem, how good/bad the service was. I don't think T-Mobile has a good handle on how well it might consistently work in various locations, hence the question.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:23 AM

I have my own router. How would that work with T-mobile?

Old 04-02-2022, 03:09 PM

You can connect your router to their wireless modem, either via WiFi or via ethernet LAN cable. But you really don't need a separate router. TMobile's modem/router supports 32 or 64 WiFi devices (can't remember which). Obviously the most important thing is the quality of service you'll get. As one OP said, in his area, things can get really congested. It's worth a try if it will save you $$$. Just be sure to return the modem promptly if you aren't satisfied and follow up with customer service to ensure your service is canceled.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:40 PM

^^ So if I have my own router, will have to buy or rent there's also?
So now I will have bought two routers?

Old 04-03-2022, 10:12 PM

TMobile does not charge rent for using their modem/router. It's obviously rolled into the $50 monthly fee.

Remember TMobile's wireless modem/router is just a specialized phone with a sim card. You'll get a unique TMobile telephone number so you can text your wireless modem. It has a digital display to read incoming texts. However, you cannot send out texts through it; and you cannot send or receive voice. The primary use for receiving texts is likely for TMobile to send information about service disruptions.

For the service to really work well, you'll likely need to be able to use 5G. I don't have a link handy, but there are websites online (don't use TMobile's) that will show you if there are devices in the nearby vicinity that are using 5G. Here in Vegas, when I tried out the service, I was obviously using 5G given the download speeds I was getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: