Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 02:45 PM

471 posts, read 272,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Another treat is when you're taking SEPTA, and some toker, reeking of weed, steps aboard. They're not actually smoking on the train, but their clothes are saturated with the vile scent. The wretched stench of gonj permeates the entire train car, to the point where your eyes start to burn. No doubt this helps to attract shoppers, diners, and office workers back into the city. I mean, who doesn't enjoy getting high off dope on the train?
What's your deal man? Are these comments satirical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 03:54 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
What's your deal man? Are these comments satirical?
Somewhat, but sadly these are all real experiences and observations I make on a regular basis.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Somewhat, but sadly these are all real experiences and observations I make on a regular basis.
How often do you take the train? Weed is never so bad that your eyes start to burn, lol. What can actually make a subway trip unpleasant is the unfortunate case of a person who does not have access to bathing and laundry. That's something that can actually make a railcar unbearable. But, my true sympathies lie with said person, not passengers who can just move to another railcar.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:15 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
How often do you take the train? Weed is never so bad that your eyes start to burn, lol. What can actually make a subway trip unpleasant is the unfortunate case of a person who does not have access to bathing and laundry. That's something that can actually make a railcar unbearable. But, my true sympathies lie with said person, not passengers who can just move to another railcar.
I've ridden the Broad Street Line daily for about nine years.

I can count the number of times I've smelled weed while riding on one hand.

But I have noted that since the pandemic, I've witnessed more incidents of people — usually young adults — lighting up while on the train. Usually, though, it's cigarettes rather than ganja, but I have seen some people toking.

In toto, however, the incidents make up a very tiny fraction of my Broad Street Line trips.

However: Back in the early 2010s, when I rode the Market-Frankford Line to my residence in the Lower Northeast, I noted that at night, that line became a zoo, as did the Nite Owl buses. The BSL has usually been quieter, though its wider cars allow the breakdancers to perform on them.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I take the train into the city just about every week. This is SEPTA commuter, not subway. It's not at all uncommon to have a toker come in and stink up the train.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:13 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
I take the train into the city just about every week. This is SEPTA commuter, not subway. It's not at all uncommon to have a toker come in and stink up the train.
I think that if you took the trains more frequently, you might find that the percentage of your trips that are laced with THC would drop. Time of day would also make a difference: I strongly suspect the weed-smokers are less likely to climb aboard peak-hour trains.

Are your trips mostly on weekdays, mostly on weekends, or randomly distributed from week to week?

Old 07-06-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that if you took the trains more frequently, you might find that the percentage of your trips that are laced with THC would drop. Time of day would also make a difference: I strongly suspect the weed-smokers are less likely to climb aboard peak-hour trains.
Typically the evening trains coming home, between 5pm and 6pm. It's not like there's a "stinker" on every train, but it's not uncommon. And this is the train going to Fort Washington and Doylestown, so not like it's going to a bad area or something.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:22 AM

70 posts, read 58,558 times
Quote:
Typically the evening trains coming home, between 5pm and 6pm. It's not like there's a "stinker" on every train, but it's not uncommon. And this is the train going to Fort Washington and Doylestown, so not like it's going to a bad area or something.
I typically find my commutes on the regional rail to be quite enjoyable.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:27 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
I smell weed throughout the city all the time. I've never been on a train where the stench was so bad that my eyes burned. That's going a little far.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I smell weed throughout the city all the time. I've never been on a train where the stench was so bad that my eyes burned. That's going a little far.
Well, I have, many times. And like you I also smell weed throughout the city all the time, and I'm mainly in the Rittenhouse area. The question is, why would we want to permit open-air marijuana use? How is that good for the city? Why is it so important to progressive liberals that people can smoke weed whenever and wherever they want, when it makes the city a less desirable place for decent people to live, work, and visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia