Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
My wife’s parents moved to a townhouse in Society Hill in 2017. Her Mom was originally from the area. Weve been spending several weeks up to a month with them every summer since then. So no, I dont live here but Ive gotten to know to the city decently since then and I’m basing my opinions on that.

In the 60s/70s South Street was one of the true cultural hot spots in Philadelphia. It evolved through the 80s and 90s as Center City gentrified and became less bohemian and more a standard nightlife corridor. The "cool" days of nightlife have long since past. As noted though, in that immediate area you mentioned, the grocery store space not being filled for years now, Downey's being closed, Jim's being closed, I would say the pandemic has knocked that corridor a bit. If her parent's have never been to the restaurant in the Royal Theater now, you guys should go there on South Street. Get a drink or two at the PHS Beer Garden before. That's a solid night on South Street imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 12:27 PM

184 posts, read 370,383 times
fyi, Jim's Steaks is closed until after they re-build, a fire destroyed it recently.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
It seems to me like east south street is only a couple big openings away from a major move - they're just slow to happen. I continue to be amazed at how long the old Jon's Bar and Grill space has sat empty. That place alone would be a huge boon to that stretch if something good moved in. I'd love to know the story behind that place.

It's a shame. The high-profile setbacks that have hit South street hurt the perception in a big way but that doesn't mean it's still not a disaster right now.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:54 AM

386 posts, read 266,377 times
It just doesn’t make sense that the main commercial street between basically the two wealthiest neighborhoods in the city (Society Hill and Queen Village) is so shabby. The neighborhoods are beautiful one block away in both directions. Like you said Redddog I really think it should be only a couple big openings away from improving but it’s just about who will take the first step.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:02 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think the OP's post is innocent and just so he knows, we have this conversation about every 3 months on this board. I also recognize his username from the city vs. city board, which I thought he lived out west, but this post kind of makes it sound like he lives here now? Just curious.

This is my opinion as a 31 y/o who has spent his 20s and early 30s living in Philly:

South Street as a destination of "going out" was never really a thing. There are places along the east side of South Street. Bridget Foy's is a good restaurant at 2nd and South. The TLA is a popular smaller Live Nation music venue at 3rd and south. Jim's is a popular cheesesteak place at 5th and South. Spread Bagels at 5th and South is the best place in Philly to get a Montreal style bagel. Scoop Deville is a solid ice cream spot right there. Federal Donuts has one of the best fried chicken sandwiches. Most the shops though inbetween aren't like bars and restaurants. they're like low to mid grade retailers with a handful of smoke shops and gold shops. South Street caters to a pretty wide range of people. I imagine with Jim's being closed the neighborhood hobos are lost on what to do.

If you are just visiting Philadelphia, you're on the wrong side and the restaurants and bars are better on South Street on the other side of Broad street.
Since you're only 31, I'll give you a pass on the bolded above.

While this has likely been the case for the past 10 to 15 years or so, South Street absolutely was a "going out" destination up until the end of the last century. I'd say its heyday was the 70s and 80s, but my college years were in the mid-90s and it was still pretty cool then. Zipperhead and Dobbs shutting down were, imo, the beginning of the end for South Street as a destination.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:42 AM

188 posts, read 127,592 times
South street east honestly hasn't changed much since i moved here in 05. It may have gotten a little better with a few new developments as you move closer to broad. Maybe some popular places closed down, but on a whole seems similar if maybe a bit stuck. I don't feel any less safe anyway. I think a lower point was during when flash mobs started getting out of hand, but that was a while ago. South street west has changed a ton on the other hand and seems a lot nicer. I think it is a little odd that south street east isn't nicer being wedged between fairly affluent neighborhoods, but it was always intended to be quirkier/grittier i think, which is fine. It keeps it kind of open to all walks of life that way.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:55 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
South street east honestly hasn't changed much since i moved here in 05. It may have gotten a little better with a few new developments as you move closer to broad. Maybe some popular places closed down, but on a whole seems similar if maybe a bit stuck. I don't feel any less safe anyway. I think a lower point was during when flash mobs started getting out of hand, but that was a while ago. South street west has changed a ton on the other hand and seems a lot nicer. I think it is a little odd that south street east isn't nicer being wedged between fairly affluent neighborhoods, but it was always intended to be quirkier/grittier i think, which is fine. It keeps it kind of open to all walks of life that way.
I like the quirky grittiness. It's the threat of bodily harm that's a turn-off.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:35 PM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
In the 60s/70s South Street was one of the true cultural hot spots in Philadelphia. It evolved through the 80s and 90s as Center City gentrified and became less bohemian and more a standard nightlife corridor. The "cool" days of nightlife have long since past. As noted though, in that immediate area you mentioned, the grocery store space not being filled for years now, Downey's being closed, Jim's being closed, I would say the pandemic has knocked that corridor a bit. If her parent's have never been to the restaurant in the Royal Theater now, you guys should go there on South Street. Get a drink or two at the PHS Beer Garden before. That's a solid night on South Street imo.
The PHS Beer Garden is so nice!

Old 08-17-2022, 04:49 PM

188 posts, read 127,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I like the quirky grittiness. It's the threat of bodily harm that's a turn-off.
Sure, agree that part seriously sucks, but i don't know that it's gotten a lot worse. Maybe it has and I'm just not noticing since I'm middle-aged and kind of boring now. I'm not really bar-hopping and going to shows at tla anymore. At least during the day it seems ok. But yeah, i wish everyone could just be cool.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:22 PM

386 posts, read 266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
The PHS Beer Garden is so nice!
It really is, it’s one of my favorite places to go in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: