U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM

547 posts, read 1,269,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyHead View Post
In order of my preference:
1) Narberth
2) Media, Jenkintown, Wynnewood
3) Abington
4) Ridley Park

Wynnewood & Abington rate lower because they really don't have walkable downtowns, unlike the others. That said, Wynnewood is close to both Narberth, Ardmore, which are walkable towns. I have lived in Narberth, and my daughter lives there now. It's a great place with expensive homes (for what you get), but low taxes.

My other daughter lives in Jenkintown post office address, but Abington township/school district. I like Jenkintown alot, and you will get more house for the money. There is definitely a growing number of homes for sale in Jenkintown. Not as convenient to downtown and other desirable amenities.

Media is a great, family-oriented town. In some ways, Media is the nicest of all of them. But property taxes are high, and its accessibility isn't the greatest to amenities/workplaces in the region. Media, Jenkintown, Abington & Ridley Park all have higher taxes than Narberth, Wynnewood. The difference will be quite noticeable.

The Penn Wynne area of Wynnewood has affordable housing and low taxes. But again, like Narberth, you will get less house for the money than the other areas.

Abington is a large township (56,103 as of 2000 Census) so isn't really a town. Close to Jenkintown, and has town-like areas such as Glenside. Lots of great neighborhoods and more affordable than Wynnewood/Narberth, but similar type of feel. Pretty high taxes (but probably less than Media/Ridley Park).

I like Ridley Park, but it is more blue collar than others mentioned. But good, down-to-earth people with a small downtown, and some great old and affordable homes. Not quite the same socioeconomic status as the others.
how are the schools in Wynnewood, Narberth, Ridley Park, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM

572 posts, read 1,400,333 times
Thanks, everyone, for all your thoughts and suggestions. They are very helpful. It seems like there are pluses and minuses to every town. There is no perfect combination of nice houses that are decent size for the money PLUS a nice downtown PLUS low taxes PLUS a great location, etc. etc.

Now that hubby and I have visited all these towns, I am spending more time in each area, visiting them and trying to get a more detailed "feel" for them so we can narrow our choices down. I drove around Jenkintown, Abington, Elkins Park and Wyndmoor the other day and really like that area. Does anyone have comments about Wyndmoor? I haven't seen much about that area on this board. I only got a glimpse of it but it seemed like a pretty area.

Elkins Park is a beautiful area and has exactly the kind of architecture we like, but THE TAXES!!! Holy macaroni - they are as high (and in some cases HIGHER) than what we are paying in Cherry Hill, NJ! Outrageous.

The only thing that is kinda bugging me about these adorable PA towns that I like so much is that the lot sizes are VERY SMALL...about half of an average NJ suburban lot (which is already like a postage stamp, in my opinion). The houses seem like they are almost on top of each other.

I think the most convenient location for us would be in and around Wynnewood. Hubby works in Malvern and I work in University City so both of us could take the train to work which would be a REAL benefit (right now the commute is really wiping hubby out). I also LOVE the look of Wynnewood but it looks like we'd have to substantially downsize from our current home to live there. One of the things I will miss about NJ is that you get a lot of house for the money. So I guess we will keep investigating more closely and educate ourselves as much as we can so that when it comes time to move, we feel confident about where we are going.

Unread 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 6,976,713 times
I know you didn't mention being interested about any place in Philadelphia, but if you like Elkins Park and want a bigger house, try taking a drive in East Oaklane (from Old York Road going south, make a left onto Valley Road, a right onto Mountain Road, turn left when you hit Lakeside Avenue, and just drive around Lawnton Avenue, 69th Avenue, 11th Street, Oak Lane Road). Or, type 19126 in GoogleMaps and do Street View. It's all of 10 minutes from Elkins Park, you can walk to the Melrose Park station or take an easy drive to Elkins Park or Jenkintown. Since it's in Philly, the taxes are cheaper than Elkins Park. I grew up there, as did my mother, and we just love the neighborhood. If you actually drive and go there, go into Under the Oak on Oak Lane Road & 8th Street. The woman who owns it is very friendly, knowledgable and has lived in the area for years. Also, a lot of the houses are pretty big (especially on Lawnton, 11th, 10th, 69th, ok a lot of streets). Because the area is generally unknown and is technically in "North Philly" the house prices haven't gotten crazy. It's a quiet, safe, residential area, and is a very convenient location (10 min to Elkins Park/Jenkintown, 20 to Abington/Willow Grove, 20 to Chestnut Hill, 25-30 to Center City/Old City, etc.). Just a thought.

As for Wyndmoor, most of my experience is in Chestnut Hill, but that area is very nice in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia