U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,351 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Kd
Congrats on your job offer but I would seriously consider another city. I have lived here since 1978 and have really given up on this city. I am a home owner(in one of the new hipster neighborhoods) and a business owner as well, so I analyze the city from many different angles. It has steadily declined for decades. Yes, there are pretty sections with good restaurants and culture but that doesnot alone make for a successful city. This is by far one of the filthiest places I have ever seen in the entire world. We are taxed beyond belief, the schools are terrible, crime is out of control, housing is overpriced,and the streets are paved in glass and garbage. I'm making my plans to get out of here in a few years. Can't take it anymore.-
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
3,971 posts, read 8,592,163 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemaker View Post
This is by far one of the filthiest places I have ever seen in the entire world. We are taxed beyond belief, the schools are terrible, crime is out of control, housing is overpriced,and the streets are paved in glass and garbage. I'm making my plans to get out of here in a few years. Can't take it anymore.-
Is that you PhilaForNow?

What hipster hood do you live you in that the streets are full of garbage?

This is getting ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
 
39 posts, read 109,193 times
Reputation: 18
Your job should not be as dangerous just as an Interpreter. But I can’t see them Employing someone from California when this city has many bilingual resident. Are you certain the job is long term? You would be in luck this city needs Interpreter in the business sector.

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 01-11-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
 
39 posts, read 109,193 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Is that you PhilaForNow?

What hipster hood do you live you in that the streets are full of garbage?

This is getting ridiculous.
RAINROCK IF YOU LOVE THIS HOLE HOLE CITY PAY PHILADELPHIA TAX

OLD CITY IS NOT A HOOD
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
 
39 posts, read 109,193 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemaker View Post
Kd
Congrats on your job offer but I would seriously consider another city. I have lived here since 1978 and have really given up on this city. I am a home owner(in one of the new hipster neighborhoods) and a business owner as well, so I analyze the city from many different angles. It has steadily declined for decades. Yes, there are pretty sections with good restaurants and culture but that doesnot alone make for a successful city. This is by far one of the filthiest places I have ever seen in the entire world. We are taxed beyond belief, the schools are terrible, crime is out of control, housing is overpriced,and the streets are paved in glass and garbage. I'm making my plans to get out of here in a few years. Can't take it anymore.-
I think Rainrock is from Norristown why not live in PHILADELPHIA
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
 
39 posts, read 100,502 times
Reputation: 18
Well, being an interpreter takes a lot more than just being bilingual. They had an exam and apparently nobody else passed it. I wonder about that too if they mean to keep me after the 6 months probation period.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
 
39 posts, read 109,193 times
Reputation: 18
Talking Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The only place on the west coast that could compare to center City Philly is probably San Francisco.

.
I know there was something not straight about this person. Thatís another good reason not to move into center city Philadelphia It is to much like San Francisco
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
 
39 posts, read 109,193 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd7788 View Post
Well, being an interpreter takes a lot more than just being bilingual. They had an exam and apparently nobody else passed it. I wonder about that too if they mean to keep me after the 6 months probation period.
Thereís a Unfurnished apartment in the Roxborough part of the city for $700. I will P/M the information good lock
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped from Philly ;-}
1,182 posts, read 1,061,357 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What hipster hood do you live you in that the streets are full of garbage?
I live in the Manayunk/Roxborough area. Tilemaker could've been describing my neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2007, 03:11 AM
 
468 posts, read 1,569,648 times
Reputation: 195
There are no major cities in California with a lower cost of living than Philadelphia, especially when it comes to rent.

If you don't hang out w/ drug dealers, Philadelphia isn't that dangerous.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top