U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:19 PM

86 posts, read 365,724 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Philadelphia, and my local friend took me to Northern Philly and Manayunk yesterday.

When we were near the Art Museum, we went to Girard Avenue and he told me to stand in the middle of the street when there was no traffic.

Apparently no where else in the city can you stand with one foot in "the hood" and one foot in a gentrifying yuppie neighborhood. Now I understand why this city has some of the crime problems it does...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 22,229 times
Default duh.

well, you are standing on Girard Avenue in the middle of the fifth largest city in America. Did you expect something different? Every city has its dividing line no matter where you are. FYI, the mason dixon line is not in Philadelphia, look up your history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
I'm visiting Philadelphia, and my local friend took me to Northern Philly and Manayunk yesterday.

When we were near the Art Museum, we went to Girard Avenue and he told me to stand in the middle of the street when there was no traffic.

Apparently no where else in the city can you stand with one foot in "the hood" and one foot in a gentrifying yuppie neighborhood. Now I understand why this city has some of the crime problems it does...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM

86 posts, read 365,724 times
Yes, I know the Mason-Dixon Line is not in Philadelphia. READ the title again, slowly. It's called analogy bub.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,204,767 times
They should really rename parts of Philadelphia because there seems to be a huge discrepancy as to what the 'real' Philadelphia is. It's like there are different Philadelphias.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

389 posts, read 987,865 times
Quote:

First off, why would he tell you to stand in the middle of Girard Ave? Is this Philly Mason-Dixon line supposed to apply to all of Girard Ave?

Secondly, gentrification and "the hood" go hand in hand. That yuppie neighborhood was probably once part of "the hood" until it gentrified. The rest of the hood didn't move, so it's not that shocking that you can stand with one foot in a bad neighborhood and the other in a yuppie one.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,555,668 times
Quote:
Actually Philly is filled with situations like that. They can be found everywhere. On the other hand the bulk of the crime does tend to remain in the hood, thug on thug.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,582,833 times
Um....have you been to DC lately? You can have a gentrified neighborhood with townhouses starting at $750k and then have projects/bombed-out rowhouses across the street. Check out U Street, Columbia Heights, "NoMa", H Street, Shaw, areas of SE, parts of NE,.......or really anywhere outside of downtown, Georgetown, and Dupont Circle.

Typically, that's just what you get with gentrification in urban areas. There'll be a dividing line for a long time (if not always), although this line will tend to move over time.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM

32 posts, read 110,527 times
Ummm, ok. So, sometime in the 1970's, there was a huge exodus of residents in Philadelphia to the suburb (population going from 2.3 million or so at its peak to approximately 1.5 million today). The move has the dubious name of "White Flight" which is largely blamed for the urban decay suffered in the city...

No problem, being urban is hip again, so a large number of professional suburbanite decided to move back to the city...after all, they may have been tired of being blamed for the urban decay of their beloved city. But now you have gentrification and displacement of the poor...umm, what are we to do?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM

113 posts, read 289,291 times
I have to say there's a clear cut line between center city and north philly. I tend to think of it as spring garden but i have friend who lives 2 blocks above spring garden and believes she lives downtown. Her zip code tells me otherwise but mostly, girard and upwards is north philly and i'm glad you got to see that area because the highest i've been is green street which is still below girard but about 2 little blocks from spring garden. I'll tell you downtown is a pretty safe area. I go by stay south of spring garden.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,204,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenia View Post
I have to say there's a clear cut line between center city and north philly. I tend to think of it as spring garden but i have friend who lives 2 blocks above spring garden and believes she lives downtown. Her zip code tells me otherwise...
That's the reason most people want to live in Philly in the first place...the 'prestige' of just saying you live here. I know a couple people also who also lie about where they actually live when their zip code says different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or