Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
"World Class City?" No! Not even close! NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, London ect. are World Class Cities. Philadelphia = 2nd city. Wannabee city!
Yea but you put Seattle in the same sentence with NYC and London. You just lost all credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Yea but you put Seattle in the same sentence with NYC and London. You just lost all credibility.
I would call Seattle a world class city.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
How do you know where I've been? I've probably been to more of the city than anyone here that claims the city is 'so great'...

No,if they actually got their heads out of their respective holes and looked at something other than their personal enjoyment they'd see the city as a whole has been on a decline since at least the 70s...

That is,the FULL TIME RESIDENTS! Not some passers through who only come through to shop or look at the pretty buildings and then retreat to their nice places in the SUBURBS or out of state or their nice comfy lofts in only the (limited) best parts of the city.
Easy there. I am sorry if it came across offensive. I didn't mean it to.

Philly has some bad spots, there is no denying that.

Philly has some awesome spots, there is no denying that.

Which one do you decide to focus on?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Philly has some bad spots, there is no denying that.

Philly has some awesome spots, there is no denying that.

Which one do you decide to focus on?
I can 'focus' on whatever I want,the reality is I live in a not-so-good area of the city right now.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
^Pick your favorite city that you want to move too.

Move to a bad neighborhood in that city. See if that is still now your favorite city that you like.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
"World Class City?" No! Not even close! NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, London ect. are World Class Cities. Philadelphia = 2nd city. Wannabee city!

Please. Seattle doesn't even come close to the public transportation that Philadelphia has. Our international airport ranks 10th in the nation in terms of passengership -- above Seattle. We have world-renowned medical, educational and cultural institutions (UPenn, Phila. Art Museum, Phila. Zoo, etc.) that are just as respected -- if not more so -- as what are found in cities like Seattle and San Francisco. Not to mention our metropolitan GDP out-paces Seattle and San Francisco (in millions: Philadelphia: 241,831 / Seattle: 155,695/ San Francisco: 230,363).

Philadelphia International Airport - Fast Facts (http://www.phl.org/phlstats.html - broken link)
BEA: Regional Economic Accounts

Philadelphia indubitably has the bones of a world class city; it was the first major industrialized city in America. The urban fabric is top notch, which is much more than you can say for many other major cities today that have sprouted up as soulless conglomerations of office buildings overnight with no real culture or history. It's just its potential doesn't always get fully realized, and prevalent negativism rooted in false insecurities doesn't help at all. Thankfully, there are those of us who realize the positives that are embedded in our region and central city.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-17-2008 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^Pick your favorite city that you want to move too.

Move to a bad neighborhood in that city. See if that is still now your favorite city that you like.
Great point.
May I quote that?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I would call Seattle a world class city.
Not even close.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
International cities are accomodating to other Nationalities. The English Only sign at Ginos is a National embarassment. Such a thing is unheard of in other true International cities. For an Italian American to institue this is hypocritical. The Italians were the slowest to assimilate into American culture. Many older senior citizen Italian Americans still do not speak fluent English. I have met a few Italians and they always had a grandmother who did not speak English. And, more importantly Cheesesteaks are garbage anyway.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
International cities are accomodating to other Nationalities. The English Only sign at Ginos is a National embarassment. Such a thing is unheard of in other true International cities. For an Italian American to institue this is hypocritical. The Italians were the slowest to assimilate into American culture. Many older senior citizen Italian Americans still do not speak fluent English. I have met a few Italians and they always had a grandmother who did not speak English. And, more importantly Cheesesteaks are garbage anyway.

Your post is excellent until your last sentence. At that point, the anger or whatever it is your harbor against Philadelphia comes shinging through and your post is no longer intelligent but instead becomes a rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia