U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
Default If moving from Brooklyn, which Phila suburb?

Or is it better to live in Center City? My husband and I are lawyers with a 1-year old. We'd want a short train commute, walkable town with a downtown with at least some decent restaurants and shopping, community park/pool in town, etc. Also we are an Asian-Caucasian couple, so would also be interested in any areas that have higher Asian populations. Our price range for a home would be around 600K.

Last edited by mangopickle; 07-15-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: left out information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,965,679 times
The mainline between Bala Cynwyd and Wayne (the communities along Route 30) would probably be your best bet. Can't help you with Asian enclaves. I don't know of any outside of Chinatown and South Philly's Southeast Asian population.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,191,038 times
Media, Lower Merion, Bala Cynwyd, Rosemont, Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Ardmore, Wynnewood, Manayunk, or center city.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM

184 posts, read 486,984 times
I'd start with Lower Merion. Any of the towns in it would be worth a look. The restaurants are crummy, or at least, the ones I have tried so far have been, but the area has a lot going for it in terms of schools, parks, pools, housing stock, shopping, proximity to the city, and train commute. People are pretty car-based for their errands but parking is easy. (Walkability was one of my top criteria when I moved here last year, but I wish I'd given it a lower priority; I didn't really understand that walkability mostly matters when driving and parking are a pain -- and they're not, here, so there's little incentive to walk unless you want to). In terms of downtown, Ardmore has the most shopping and Narberth has a cute downtown, but you could live anywhere in Lower Merion and take advantage of either easily, so I wouldn't limit your search to just those two towns. When I was looking I worried a lot about Penn Valley vs. Bala Cynwyd vs. Merion vs. Wynnewood, and in retrospect it seems silly because the character of these places is more alike than different, and the boundaries are quite porous.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 AM

3,489 posts, read 4,990,595 times
We enjoy center city and right next to China Town is the park voted best for kids in Philadelphia. Maybe somewhere in the China Town or Old City areas could work for you?

There is a building right next to the park which has a swimming pool, but it's condos - not sure if you like condos, but it's good; 24 hr doorman, gm, swimming pool and 2 mins walk to China Town and 1 min to the park.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 AM

5,299 posts, read 1,784,419 times
If you're from Brooklyn I'm sure the china town area or south philly would suit you,if you did want a short commute.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM

266 posts, read 964,853 times
if you want more of an Asian population, then looking in downtown Phila., (as mentioned already) is your best bet. In the suburbs however, I do think that the Broomall area (in Delaware County) has a bit of an Asian population.
Upper Darby (also Delco) is very diverse, but the area is more of a working class, rougher town.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,784,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Upper Darby (also Delco) is very diverse, but the area is more of a working class, rougher town.
To say the least

Just make sure the guy you move next to doesn't have confederate flags all over his yard or move too close to a bar where people get hurt all the time...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 PM

45 posts, read 126,225 times
I would agree, Broomall has a nice size community of Asians. If you're looking into the suburbs Broomall would be a fit for your needs.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,191,038 times
No good access to trains in Broomall which is why I left it off my list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia