U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM

1,737 posts, read 3,884,143 times

Advertisements

The recent inquiry about whether to live in SW Philly got me thinking about all the great things that existed while I was growing up there. For those who are familiar with the "old neighborhood" can you remember these?:

1) Joe's/Fred's Cold Cuts at Sylmar & Dicks? My mother used to work there.

2) The constant pimple games at Patterson school yard and GE's parking lot?

3) Taking a ride to Old Fort Mufflin, even though we never had the money to actually go inside? The bike ride was great.

4) Doc, who gave tireless hours coaching baseball and football?

5) Everyone stopping what they were doing to watch a refinery fire?

6) "Going with someone", which usually was a walk around the park at 71st Street?

Anyone else care to offer their thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,610 times
- Little league at Finnigan's playground
- Elmwood Park July 4th celebrations
- using tires of parked cars as bases when playing street ball
- games of "Kick the Can" at dusk
- Running behind the Misqueete Spray-Man in the street
- Waiting for the water-Ice truck and getting a cherry "wata ice" and a soft pretzel
- riding "The Whip" as it came to you on a truck each evening
I've got many, many more.....berg

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM

1,737 posts, read 3,884,143 times
My entire summer was worshiping the Almighty Pimple Ball, the round version of the Holy Spirit. Whoever has one had many friends. We used to go to different stores in the neighborhood to see who had the cheapest price. It used to almost always be at the store at Holbrook & Buist. That seemed fair, since we lost most of the balls in the sewers at that corner. I never asked my parents for money for candy, always for pimple balls. Needless to say, I was a very skinny kid! My mother used to work at a deli at Sylmar & Dicks and I asked her to try to see if the owner would allow us to buy the balls wholesale but he didn't. All my lawn cutting money went to buying pimple balls or the occasionally pack of baseball cards.

Here are more of my memories of SW Philly:

-The beer distributor at 69th & Dicks. The owner, a great guy, used to sell eggs as well as every beer being made. It looked cool for a kid going in there but not leaving with a carton of eggs.

-Brush fires along the railroad tracks near Paschall Avenue. We all stopped to watch them.

-Spending a day at the Tinicum Wildlife Perserve. We never caught any fish but we didn't care.

-Plotting to cross the Walt Whitman Bridge on bikes. It never happened but a friend of mine and I did cross the Girard Point Bridge on bikes. Not very bright.

You mentioned Little League at Finnegan's. I played for the Falcons but CWV was the team to beat!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,272 times
My memories of S. W. Philly: Every June around St. Anthony's Feast Day O.L.O.L. parish would start the neighborhood carnival. The last day would end with a parade thru the streets of S.W. around Our Lady of Loreto, 64th St., etc. Pretty much all evening people would open their homes and just visit their neighbors. They would top it off with a great fireworks display around 61st St. I remember in the Summer that the older boys would open the fire plugs so we could cool off and have some fun pushing each other under the spray. There were so many things about S.W. that were special and made growing up there real joy. When my kids hear me talk about it they wish they could've had the same experience.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 15,375 times
I also remember the neighborhood carnival at OLO Loretto. I also remember the carnival at the little tiny church at 62nd and Dicks....can't remember it's name. We lived diagonally from the church. My Dad took me there when I was about 7 and I "WON" 4 Nun dolls. It was years later when he confessed that he "Paid" the worker, for them, so that I would think that I won. I remember playing ball in the islands of grass between Lindberg BLVD and Dicks avenue.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,861 times
Wink The old Neighborhood was a great place where you had alot of friends and relativies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The recent inquiry about whether to live in SW Philly got me thinking about all the great things that existed while I was growing up there. For those who are familiar with the "old neighborhood" can you remember these?:

1) Joe's/Fred's Cold Cuts at Sylmar & Dicks? My mother used to work there.

2) The constant pimple games at Patterson school yard and GE's parking lot?

3) Taking a ride to Old Fort Mufflin, even though we never had the money to actually go inside? The bike ride was great.

4) Doc, who gave tireless hours coaching baseball and football?

5) Everyone stopping what they were doing to watch a refinery fire?

6) "Going with someone", which usually was a walk around the park at 71st Street?

Anyone else care to offer their thoughts? Thanks.
7)You could walk anywhere in the neighborhood and run into great friends and relatives always

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,690 times
8) Remember the 4th of July parties in the park at 71st and Dicks Avenue and the dance that followed that nite on 71st Street next to Devine's bar?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,075 times
boys day/girls/ day at Finnegan's Pool.
Falone's Hoagies - the best!
Litman's Drug Store
The day Gino's opened in our area! You could get a burger, fries and a milkshake for less
than 99 cents!
Taking the 36 trolley into town for a day of Christmas shopping and seeing Wanamaker's Light Show, the Enchanted Christmas Village, and ride the monorail at Wany's.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 12,126 times
Yep the Pimple ball lead to many games: wall ball (or '*****'), stick ball, step ball, wire ball....and if it went flat you'd cut it in two and play half ball!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
grew up in southwest 50s 60s st barney's west catholic the best times ever ! 61st HOWARDS DRUG STORE first job than married moved to the west indies for work than florida, remember all that everyone talks about here we were a large family and knew everybody in southwest. have a great 2013 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia