U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2008, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,099 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

Am moving to Philly from Wash DC to go to Drexel University.

I live in Foggy Bottom in DC and love it here. Is there a similar place in Philly to Foggy Bottom?

I've heard of Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square, but have never been to either. Just been to Philly once and stayed in your downtown.

I would prefer to live walking distance to Drexel (the one in University City), as long as the walk from either Rittenhouse Square or Society Hill is safe......or another area that I don't know about. I don't mind walking even 15-20 minutes, though the closer the better.

For those that don't know, Foggy Bottom is: great for singles in their 20s, who like to PARTY!!!! Safe as safe can be (we can all go out at 3am to a CVS and not worry about being mugged). Walking distance to nearby universities. I can walk to school and back.

Not bringing a car so I don't need to worry about parking costs or fees. Oh, and I just wanna rent.

Hope someone can give me some tips or advice. Living in University City is NOT an option for me. I'm looking for something comparable to Foggy Bottom, esp. in terms of safety and being friendly to singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,889,588 times
You will be relatively safe (using common sense) in any part of center city. However, you will be closer to Drexel if you live in the western part of center city. That would be either Rittenhouse Square or Fitler Square.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,715,349 times
IMO the Wash West neighborhood is closest in feeling to Foggy Bottom although it isn't really that similer. (I think Foggy Bottom is kind of unique) This post from another thread should help you get oriented. Frequent bus service on Chestnut and Walnut Streets can get you to and from Drexel

[quote=bryson662001;4756674]Basicly this entire map is the downtown core (locals call it Center City) On the far right is the oldest part of the city, Society Hill, Queen Village and Old City. Society Hill and Queen Village (19106) are filled with restored 18th century townhouses (and some very modern ones as well) It is also a very tourist heavy area. Old City is more loft type buildings and is full of bars and resturants and nightlife. Moving west there is Washington Square, surrounded by several high rise condos and larger townhouses, many subdivided. To the north is Market East retail area and Chinatown, not the best place to actually live but nice to be close to. West of Washington Sq, the "Wash west" neighborhood (19107) has lots of students and other younger people and includes a large area called the GAYborhood. Come to Broad St (19102) which divides the area in half and is lined with office buildings and more upscale shopping. West of Broad St is the city's financial district north of Chestnut St and South of Chestnut is the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood (19103). Walnut St west of Broad is the upscale shopping district. Around Rittenhouse is the most desirable and expensive residential district but most people live in highrises as it is too expensive and crowded for single family houses (there are a few). South and west of the square the streets are lined with very large late 19th century and victorian houses, most subdivided into condo or rental apartments. North of the financial district is the Logan square and Fairmount/art museum neighborhood (19130) which has many more single family townhouses, mostly victorian or late 20th century. Through out the entire map you will find highrise condos mixed in with single family houses. All of these neighborhoods except maybe Chinatown and Market east are highly desireable places to live, with Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square being the most posh. They all offer resturants, hotels and retail choices.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,099 times
Thank you so much to both of you. That map was especially helpful, Bryson662001! I'll look into Wash West when looking for a place, too.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 AM

3,218 posts, read 7,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyBottomToPhilly View Post
I live in Foggy Bottom in DC and love it here. Is there a similar place in Philly to Foggy Bottom?
Rittenhouse Square or Wash West. Society Hill is great, but reminds me more of a mix of Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,330,025 times
Much like a lot of DC, there is NO place in University City/Center City/North/South/West Philly that is totally safe to wander at that hour, unless you are a group of 4+ guys...you should definitely check out Manayunk as that is the safe party spot but not walkable to downtown. And Northern Liberties which has a really cool young hip vibe going on...if I were to live in the city, Northern Liberties would be the place...Old City also has all the cool bars and stuff so proximity to that would a good choice as well...I knew some recent grads who lived in the Fairmount/Art Museum area and that has lots of corners bars and outside dining in the spring and summer...just a tad too close to the bad areas for my taste...I would check out ALL of the areas people have mentioned as each neighborhood really does have a different feel...

Last edited by orrmobl; 08-11-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia