Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,915,365 times

Advertisements

You might want to look at some towns up the 422 corridor if you're looking for less expensive and slightly more rural. Like Collegeville, Oaks, Mont Clare, Phoenixville, Limerick and Royersford. The commute to Radnor is kind of ugly at rush hour but outside of rush hour it's like 15 minutes to Radnor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,503,415 times
The cultures are TOTALLY different. I grew up here, summered with family in Thousand Oaks, attended 2 years at USC. Talk about culture shock! My accent was the subject of many a conversation and no one in CA smokes. They are far more superficial than the avg person here. But also more health conscience and tolerant of diverse people and lifestyles. But in a fake way.

That was my only real problem with Southern CA - the clerks at stores were nice, but it was fake nice and I don't want a friend, I just want my food, drink, groceries, whatever. On the other hand, here they will hand you your a$$ as soon as look at you in the service sectors in a good part of the inner ring suburbs and the entire city.

If you are not used to people who drink heavily, may smoke, curse, use racial slurs or innuendos, insult most people who are different than themselves, even you, to your face, then I wouldn't recommend moving here. After all we are the home of Reagan/Casey/Clinton Democrats, right up there with snipes and jackalopes...

Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 AM

65 posts, read 281,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
If you are not used to people who drink heavily, may smoke, curse, use racial slurs or innuendos, insult most people who are different than themselves, even you, to your face, then I wouldn't recommend moving here. After all we are the home of Reagan/Casey/Clinton Democrats, right up there with snipes and jackalopes...
It still boggles my mind when native East Coasters come to California and claim that they miss those characteristics.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 AM

15 posts, read 63,918 times
Default not everyone... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
It still boggles my mind when native East Coasters come to California and claim that they miss those characteristics.
i guess he's a typical east coaster eh?

and not all people in ca are superficial that way. we moved from southern california when i was about ten... and we were shocked to see people waving at you as you drive by, smiling and actually acknowledging your existence! you could strike up a conversation in the grocery store or at the park.

i love it here, but i guess it's time to move on. and anyway... not everyone on the east coast is a pissy, miserable bastard... are they?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
Why is it that when people say "East Coast" they automatically think big city? I certainly live on the East Coast but you won't find many of those smoking, rude people in my small town. Now that I think of it, my husband and I didn't see many of those rude people when we were in Philly on Tuesday. How about that?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM

15 posts, read 63,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Why is it that when people say "East Coast" they automatically think big city?
the same reason people think "west coast" and think LA or Hollywood. and "superficial."

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
I don't think of the west coast as L.A. or Hollywood, perhaps because we have relatives all along the west coast and have visited the whole state of California. Pretty silly when you think about it, to classify a whole coast by one small area.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,953,664 times
There are some pissy, rude people in Philly but I don't think it has much to do with where they live. They would be miserable on a tropical beach with a cocktail in their hand.

I lived down south for 5 years and by the end I had realized that people ask you how you're doing and make small talk but they don't really care and will start talking bad about you as soon as you leave the room if they don't like you. It's just about keeping up appearances down there. People here don't fake anything. No one is going to pretend to care about how your day went. But if they do ask you know it's sincere.

I actually think most people here are pretty friendly. Now, if you're rude or condescending you're going to get some major "atty'tood" and that's a big problem for some New Yorkers here. But I've had fewer problems with that here than anywhere else I've ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia