Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 AM

35 posts, read 110,553 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I could have a little information on where we'd best fit in the Philly area. Here is a little information about myself:

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

He is done with the internship in October and instead of taking our planned trip to Amsterdam, we are passing it up for now to move to a major city. I have been looking into Philly, Chicago, Boston, Miami and of course - NYC. I have looked through some posts and have found that Center City and University City might fit us well.

We are young and fun. We love to be outdoors. We are friendly, not big on partying, actually we only drink a couple beers once every few months at most, but we do like a nightlife scene just incase, and of course we'd like a nice neighborhood with people our age.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a one-bedroom with a max. of $900.00/month before utilities, ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell them before we leave Albany), and definitely somewhere close to Public Transportation. Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM

183 posts, read 631,744 times
Manayunk leaps to mind. It is heavily populated by people like yourself. It has its own nightlife with lots of bars and restaurants along the main street, but it is also a very short train hop into center city.
Good luck with your move.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
You may also find University City appealing. There will be a lot of people your age around, especially those who may be able to assist you in getting that occasional underage drinking experience. Unless you want to vibe with Penn students, you will most likely find housing in a converted home rather than a traditional apartment. The area around 40th Street just off campus is arguably the entertainment hub of the area. There are also reasonably priced restaurants compared to downtown, many with international flair.

Speaking of downtown aka Center City, you would have an even shorter commute on transit than from Manayunk; on a good day, you could probably even walk there. There's plenty of free or inexpensive things to do in CC in between all of the pricier options.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
I would look into University City and I would also check out the South Philly neighborhoods of Passyunk Square and East Passyunk Crossing. They're both great neighborhoods that blend into one another and have all the basic conveniences - bars, restaurants, cafes shops, a major grocery store, the transit is good (23, 47, 29 bus and the Broad St. Subway) and if you have a bicycle you can get anywhere in Center City in 15 minutes or less.

IMO it's a lot more convenient than U. City. Not that U. City doesn't have a lot going on but in your price range you probably won't be able to live near it.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Just to repeat what everyone suggested.
Center City
University City
Manayunk

Since you are into outdoors there is a great recreation trail along the Schuylkill River(bike,jog,roller blade,kayak,row etc) that goes from Center City/University City all the way up to Valley Forge 25 Miles to the NW, or Chestnut Hill 10 miles.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 27,950 times
Manayunk and University City have really great nightclub/music scenes, and they have young people there too. I definitely recommend both of them!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Noting that neither of you are yet 21 I would suggest Fairmount, East Falls and Manayunk/Roxborough. They're all really close to Fairmount/Wissahickon Park which is an amazing asset to have nearby if you consider yourself "outdoorsy"

Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie&Jerry View Post
I was wondering if I could have a little information on where we'd best fit in the Philly area. Here is a little information about myself:

I am a 20 year old female and my boyfriend of four years is 19. We are looking to make the move from Albany NY (myself, originally from Buffalo, NY) to a major city on the East Coast for his career. He just graduated college for TV Production and is currently working at our local news station as an intern.

He is done with the internship in October and instead of taking our planned trip to Amsterdam, we are passing it up for now to move to a major city. I have been looking into Philly, Chicago, Boston, Miami and of course - NYC. I have looked through some posts and have found that Center City and University City might fit us well.

We are young and fun. We love to be outdoors. We are friendly, not big on partying, actually we only drink a couple beers once every few months at most, but we do like a nightlife scene just incase, and of course we'd like a nice neighborhood with people our age.

We, more than anything, want something relatively safe, a one-bedroom with a max. of $900.00/month before utilities, ABSOLUTELY somewhere that we wont need a car to get around (we want to sell them before we leave Albany), and definitely somewhere close to Public Transportation. Is there somewhere that you can specifically think of where we should look for an apartment? Please let me know! Thank you so, so much for your time!
Suggest you look into three towns in the NJ burbs - Collingswood, Haddon twp, Haddonfield on the Patco train line. Large singles scene of hipsters in your age group. Philly is 10 minutes by train where you do anything you want.

http://www.collingswood.com/

Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM

35 posts, read 110,553 times
Thanks everyone. Wanted to let you all know we will be keeping one car for my boyfriends equipment so that should give you more options, if you'd like to make another suggestion. We are willing to do a 45 minute commute after traffic.

MoorestownRes- Thanks especially to you, Collingswood seems so beautiful! Thank you so much for the suggestion - I'll have to visit soon. THANK YOU!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:30 PM

32 posts, read 121,370 times
I have lived in both Philly and Miami. Miami is DEFINITELY a car centric city, so you may want to avoid it if you will not have a car. I second the suggested Philadelphia neighborhoods in this post. I used to live in University City and I found it quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia