Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,287,809 times

Advertisements

If you are going to be living in Downingtown, I would think you would want a car. Just my opinion...I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in Downingtown in terms of entertainment and such. I would at least get a motorized bike or SOMETHING. You sound young and active, so I am guessing you will want to go out, have a few drinks, meet a few friends.
I suggest renting a car for the first week or so and go exploring. If you could go before the move, even better.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 45,526 times
Default In Continum....

OK, is it just with me because I am currently out of state, but trying to get information on public transportation access in the greater philly area and I feel overwhelmed. trying to see where all the routes go and how to simply plan to get from one place to the next seems to be an hour in the planning. has anyone else had any experience in navigating this system?? if so, help!!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,507,540 times
SEPTA

You can plan trips from various locations or see all the maps...all you really need to know is that the farther out burbs are primarily served by Regional Rail Lines R5 in Downingtown's case.

Buses are next most available for getting from train station to work in the suburbs although buses are a drag.

Closer in you have the Norristown High Speed Line Route 100 to 69th street L terminal(Market Frankford or Blue Line)to center city and you can catch buses there as well.

Also there are a few trolley/subway routes from towns like Media and Drexel Hill...

Old 09-17-2008, 03:10 PM

45 posts, read 127,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitwit View Post
How about Struble Lake? They have walking trails. And how about Kerr Park, I'm sure they do also. Check them out.

I agree there are plenty of parks with walking trails and the like in the Downingtown area that are much closer than Ridley Creek State Park.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,078 times
I have lived in Downingtown for 23 years and LOVE it. In fact we just put our house up for sale and moving 3 miles down the same road. I live closer to Marshallton and they host triathlons. The area is hill so you will get a good work out. Most people are use to seeing bikes and walkers on the roads and give you plenty of room. Downingtown is a great place with a mixture of old and new. We have a great network of park space and everything available from water sports, to horse back riding to flying. You made a good choice. Welcome!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM

34,124 posts, read 18,377,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
If you are going to be living in Downingtown, I would think you would want a car. Just my opinion...I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in Downingtown in terms of entertainment and such. I would at least get a motorized bike or SOMETHING. You sound young and active, so I am guessing you will want to go out, have a few drinks, meet a few friends.
I suggest renting a car for the first week or so and go exploring. If you could go before the move, even better.
Good luck!

If you don't have a car, just make sure you're within walking distance of this place. You'll be fine.

Victory Brewing Company :: Taste Victory

Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 26,526 times
Talking D-Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboss View Post
Well, after much research thru this site (I love it) I have an offer to relocate to the Downingtown Pa area from Milwaukee WI for work purposes. I really dont know that much about the area, per se, and am looking for some local info from real people, not just whats been posted in the past. mY offer includes housing for the first 6 months in this area, so thats not an issue. but i really dont know much about the area. I hear that its a high traffic area so i am wondering about transportation options. i know the SEPTA runs in the area but have no idea how convienent it is to use. Is it mostly urban? I am an avid walker would like to know if ill get run over ! Any and all info would be greatly appreciated so i can make an informed decision in a timely fashion.
I grew up in D-Town and I am 45 years old - I have nothing but wonderful memories of the area although I know that some things have changed. The schools are excellent and although there is traffic - you an't escape that anywhere. It is an easy commute to Philly. You will experience fantastic Hoagies and Cheese steaks, which I miss greatly! Wonderful people and a small town feel! Chester County is beautiful and you are within an easy ride to the Amish Country, Gettysburg and other cool places!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

PS - My husband job has taken us to Key Largo, but I still miss D-Town!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Hey - is Kerr Park still there???

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,374,613 times
Yes! Downingtown Borough: Parks System (http://www.downingtown.org/parks/kerr.asp - broken link) We lived just outside of Downingtown, in West Bradford township, when our children were little. The fourth of July celebrations at Kerr park are something I still think about.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia