U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM

455 posts, read 834,881 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possibly relocating to the Delaware Vallley and since we are not familiar with the area we are looking for help or advise on where to live, if we move.
We like the big city life....we like to be near sporting events, museums,restaurants and shopping. It does not matter what city, as long as it is in the Delaware Valley. I would most likely be working from a virtual office.
My son especially loves basketball.
Good schools and great neighborhoods are important too.
If anyone could give their advise or have some insight we would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,335,549 times
Lower Merion School District on the Main Line - Merion Station.

Narberth

Havertown, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr

Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM

183 posts, read 429,887 times
Consider Yardley, Lower Makefield, or Bristol, all in Lower Bucks County. Great lifestyle in Bucks, and the trip down I-95 to the sports complex or center city is a breeze. You can also take the train to center city from Yardley, Levittown, or Bristol.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

I take it these area's are all in the Philly area ? It looked to me like the Delaware valley stretches from NJ - Maryland....is this true ?
And would it be better to live in the Philly area,NJ or Maryland ?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,872,847 times
DV includes South Jersey and Delaware. From a NJ perspective, SJ is a better location and more in the heart of the Delaware Valley. The towns in SJ have more amenities and restaurants, better access to NYC and the shore. Depending on your budget any of these towns are great choices - Moorestown, Haddonfield, Medford/Medford Lakes, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton and Mount Laurel are the most prestigious but there's a whole host of great towns to consider - Collingswood, Westmont, Haddon Heights, Oaklyn, Lumberton, Hainesport, Delran, Southampton, Shamong are some others. Depends what you want, some are more agriculturally based towns, some are on the Patco train line to center city. But all of them fit your description. The best school systems are found in Moorestown, Haddonfield, Medford, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Marlton and Mount Laurel - which is a great location for Philly and points north.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 09-13-2008 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 AM

674 posts, read 1,372,810 times
Wikipedia definition:
The Delaware Valley is a term used widely to refer to the metropolitan area centered on the city of Philadelphia in the United States. The term is derived from the Delaware River, which flows through it. The Office of Management and Budget officially defines the region as the Philadelphia–Camden–Wilmington Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The Delaware Valley is composed of several counties in southeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey, one relatively populous county in northern Delaware and one relatively small county in northeastern Maryland. The area has a population of 5.83 million (as of the 2006 Census Bureau estimate). Philadelphia, being the region's major commercial, cultural, and industrial center, maintains a rather large sphere of influence that affects those counties that immediately surround it. The majority of the region's populace resides in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM

91 posts, read 229,512 times
I think the only people in the Delaware Valley who think that anything in Maryland is part of the "Delaware Valley" are people who actually live in Cecil County, Maryland.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 8,595,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I take it these area's are all in the Philly area ? It looked to me like the Delaware valley stretches from NJ - Maryland....is this true ?
And would it be better to live in the Philly area,NJ or Maryland ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn
It does not matter what city, as long as it is in the Delaware Valley. I
Do you mind me asking why you need to live in the Delaware Valley?

Old 09-13-2008, 02:45 PM

I would be working from home, but need to be in the Delaware Valley due to travelling to businesses in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Do you mind me asking why you need to live in the Delaware Valley?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:01 PM

7,794 posts, read 12,039,373 times
Scubashawn, it would help if you could tell us where you'll be working. You don't want to be living in, say, Media, when your job is up in Bensalem.

To me, there are only three cities in the Delaware Valley: Philadelphia, Camden, NJ and Wilmington, DE. (DE considers Newark to be a "city". I dispute that... and I went to school there. ) However, you don't want to live in Camden proper. Wilmington's downtown and riverfront seem to be on the road to gentrification. You can find out even more about Camden and Wilmington in their respective state forums.

Wiki aside, I believe most locals consider the Delaware Valley to be the "formal" name of the Philadelphia area, including its NJ and DE suburbs. Cecil County MD may be included for statistical purposes and the TV market but it's really more of an exurb of Wilmington, DE. All of the municipalities mentioned so far are certainly have their merits (Add another a plug for my childhood area of Abington/Jenkintown. ) but they are all considered towns.

I also agree that there are many great neighborhoods within the city itself worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia