Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM

463 posts, read 1,289,181 times

Advertisements

What's West Chester like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:16 PM

183 posts, read 630,142 times
Fun town with lots to do. Cool restaurants and bars along Gay St with outdoor dining. Some nice shops, coffee shops, etc.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,923,962 times
Very nice town with a college town feel, some trendy spots but familiy friendly. Decent school district with tons of nice neighborhoods, some established and some new.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,408,674 times
I just spent most of the day in West Chester at a huge festival in the center of town. We lived North of the city in Downingtown for four years and South of the City in Garnet Valley for six years and went to church in WC for those ten years. This morning I went back to the church and then stayed afterwards for the restaurant fair. They closed off several blocks of the downtown area and had lots of booths of restaurants, crafts, non-profit, etc. The whole area was packed and it was even hard to move in the crowds. I couldn't believe the diversity of the food. WC is a great town with good schools and lots of things to do. No, it's not a city and if you are looking for stores open 24 hours it's not going to be WC, but a good place to live and raise a family.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,512,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
... The whole area was packed and it was even hard to move in the crowds...
This is why I don't like West Chester...we went to a food festival a few years back and between the people, large dogs (I kid you not) and other strollers, it was a zoo.

You know how an up-and-coming place is all cool until everyone discovers it and moves in and changes it and then it's not cool anymore? West Chester is heading that way. No thanks!

But I would recommend you check out Media for an old fashioned downtown complete with Trader Joe's or Phoenixville for that up-and-coming type vibe...

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 AM

If you go to the Media Food Festival the first weekend in October (I'll be there!) you will see the same crowds, different restaurants. The festivals make the towns fun, imho, but those crowds are not there during the week.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 AM

463 posts, read 1,289,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
This is why I don't like West Chester...we went to a food festival a few years back and between the people, large dogs (I kid you not) and other strollers, it was a zoo.

You know how an up-and-coming place is all cool until everyone discovers it and moves in and changes it and then it's not cool anymore? West Chester is heading that way. No thanks!

But I would recommend you check out Media for an old fashioned downtown complete with Trader Joe's or Phoenixville for that up-and-coming type vibe...
Thanks. I will look into Media also...Love Trader Joe's !

Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM

34,151 posts, read 18,431,661 times
I love West Chester and go there every time I come to Philly to check my rental property which is just north. I like Gay St. (except for the name ) and the Iron Hill Brewery and restaurants in that area.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,512,106 times
I went to the Media food festival maybe 10 years ago and there was nowhere near the crowd West Chester gets. West Chester is a bigger town with a huge suburban population, and it gets a lot more "lookie loos". And the college kids with the dogs!

Media is a smaller town with a smaller population - unless you're from Media, a lot of people don't even know the food festival is going on - they wait until their little town has one or don't bother going at all...

Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

I do hate to argue with you orrmobl, but I happened to go to the Media food fair last year and it was just as crowded as West Chester's was this year. Coincidentally, yesterday was the first time I had attended West Chester's in probably ten years and it was like night and day between now and then. I think the festivals just gain in popularity year after year. It's a pretty cool concept to have appetizers for sale from so many restaurants so you can sample several different places. Weather is probably a huge factor too. Yesterday was a perfect weather day. I hope it's just as nice in a couple of weeks when we go to Media's. That will be my stock-up day at TJ's too. I think the two towns have more similarities then differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia