U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

Our plane to PHI arrives at 5
(for preparations bridal);
Our destination's Baltimore:
Are we being suicidal?

Those hundred miles, we'd like to know,
how bad it "Hertz" to drive.
How many hours, would you guess,
along I-95?

It's back to PHI on Monday morn,
And from these threads I glean:
Be northbound by the crack of dawn
Or speak in words obscene.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 4,346,323 times
it's too late to answer in verse but I have friends in NoVa and have been making the drive a few times a year for about 10 years.

By the time you get your bags, get your car, and get on the road southbound things will have quieted down. Traffic slows between the airport and 476 for a bit, just stay in the left lane and you'll get through it in 5 minutes or so. Things slow again leading up to 322 for a little bit. It's really not that bad. By the time you get into Delaware things should really start to clear up. Even If it's bad I can't see it taking you more than 2 hours to get to Baltimore. Just have an alternate route handy in case there's a really bad accident. US 40 is a pretty good alternate. Just make sure you have a decent map and pay attention to the digital signs and if you get into stop and go scan the AM dial for the news & traffic channel so you know what's up. Listen for the mile marker of the accident so if you choose to go around you know how far you need to go before hooking back up with 95.

I don't know what time you have to be in Philly on Monday morning but if you leave Baltimore at 8:30 you'll probably get to the airport around 10am. If you leave Baltimore at 7:30 you'll be headed outbound when everyone else is heading inbound and you'll likely get to PHL pretty close to 9am. The only place I could see you slowing down is around the 95/695 interchange. If you're leaving Baltimore at 6:30 you're probably going to hit some pretty heavy traffic in Delaware that will clear up after you pass downtown Wilmington but will get heavy again around 322 then pick up then heavy again around 476.

9 times out of 10 it's smooth sailing but I have had some epic journeys on that stretch of road. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 AM

10,389 posts, read 16,679,524 times
I always find it funny how you can have those clumps of congestion and you think there must be some accident or construction but then it clears up and you realize it was just sheer volume of traffic on the roads. As long as you are not going during beach season, it's exactly as solibs has stated. During beach season, everything backs-up until you are almost in Maryland.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,290,756 times
the airline's mercy
I-95 construction traffic
a joyous occasion ruined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia