Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

This thread is to share your advice to newcomers and potential residents in Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs (Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester in PA; Camden, Burlington, Salem, Gloucester, Cumberland in NJ).

Suggestions not to move to Philadelphia are not recommended.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-28-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
If someone is moving to the area they're usually asking questions because they're not sure what town or neighborhood is right for them. The more they tell us about themselves the more we're able to help. It's not that I think too many people are asking questions, it's that few people seem to provide enough information - "i'm thinking of moving to the Philly area. What are the best towns?" is the sort of unhelpful question i'm thinking of.

Everyone is different so advice for one person might not that be helpful and as soon as this thread gets to be more than 6 pages people will stop reading the whole thing . . . that's why I think people should start their own "i'm moving" threads but we can start with a stock set of questions they should answer. We don't have to use someone else's questions - we can build our own from those that are commonly made here.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
This is a sticky for the NJ side of the Delaware:

Those considering buying real estate in the PA burbs working in Philly should also consider the NJ burbs for a variety of reasons, including long term investment return potential and relatively stronger economic growth than found in PA.

NJ is strategically located between NYC and Philly. Strong economic growth in the southern part of the state continues to drive economic development and bring high paying jobs to the area. NJ also has strong zoning laws and open space preservation that adds quality of life and insurance to your housing investment - Burlington County, NJ was recently recognized by conversationalists as one of the top counties in the US for open space preservation.

Recreation, strong colonial history, bucolic farmland, character, horse farms, excellent restaurants and, yes, easy access to NYC, Philly, the NJ shoreline, Cape May, Princeton (about 30 minutes from BC) provide an unparalled bedroom community experience.

The popular towns in Camden County - Haddonfield, Westmont, Collingswood, Cherry Hill, Voorhees - offer easy transportation to center city in 10 minutes on the Patco train line. Access from Cherry Hill/Voorhees can be found at Woodcrest Station off 295 South.

Very strong growth in historically more rural Gloucester County in recent years has been a boon to housing prices and median incomes, especially in Mullica Hill which also offers excellent schools and old-world character.

Revitalization is on-going in many SJ towns - Collingswood, Voorhees, Moorestown, Cherry Hill have all approved massive revitalization plans that is sure to lure more affluent folks looking for quality of life. Job growth in several SJ towns exceeded 20% from 2000-2007.

Top public school systems can be found in Moorestown, Cherry Hill (East), Voorhees, Marlton, Medford, Haddonfield. Strong public school systems and community feel are the norm in NJ. SJ is home to several national blue ribbon public schools. Private school choices are plentiful. Moorestown High School sent more than 30 kids to Ivy League or equivalents in 2007-08.

Money Magazine ranked Moorestown Best Place to Live in the US in 2005 with all of its charm, amenities and prime location, Medford, Haddonfield and Princeton rank high nationally in various pubs from quality of life to recreation. Access to NYC can be found at the Hamilton Train Station directly off 295 North, only 25 minutes from Moorestown.

The Pine Barrens offer trememdous recreational opportunities that extend across several counties. One of the largest park systems in the Northeast, one can enjoy trails, camping, fishing, canoeing, swimming while exploring historic villages. Outside of suburbia, horse farms, U-pick orchard farms, dairy farms and gentleman's farms, dot the SJ landscape.

Few heavy manufacturing facilities or freight rail lines exist in SJ as white collar industry dominates. As a result, air quality is among the highest in the region. Healthcare in SJ is a strong selling point. About 1/2 of the SJ hospitals rank in the top 25%-33% in the entire state for quality care. Deboriah Heart & Lung ranks very high among its specialties.

While it is true property taxes are high in NJ, the state has imposed a 4% cap moving forward. High quality school systems are funded primarily at the local level. The old axiom - you get what you pay for - holds true in NJ in terms of reputation, moxy, character and growth potential.

The three most attractive towns in terms of overall reputation in Camden County are - Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Voorhees. Property taxes are very high in these towns. Collingswood, Haddon Twp (Westmont), Haddon Heights have risen substantially in reputation in recent years.

The four most attractive towns in Burlington County in terms of reputation are - Moorestown, Marlton, Medford, Mount Laurel

PM me for more information about towns specifically.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 09-24-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 04:48 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Typo that I cannot correct now - conservationalists in the second paragraph.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
between blatantly racist posts and this one - I Need Help Finding A Nice Spot To Live In Philadelphia!!! (apartments, rent)

can we take a second look at my advice . . ?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 AM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Would like information on living in King of Prussia. School district information, access to public transportation (nearest metro station), housing costs, property tax information, job opportunities in or near the area.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Would like information on living in King of Prussia. School district information, access to public transportation (nearest metro station), housing costs, property tax information, job opportunities in or near the area.
Nice area, Upper Merion is alright (not great, but fine), tons of job opportunities, real estate isn't great bang for your buck. My dad worked in KOP for 16 years. It's a nice place.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:01 AM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Nice area, Upper Merion is alright (not great, but fine), tons of job opportunities, real estate isn't great bang for your buck. My dad worked in KOP for 16 years. It's a nice place.
Not great because it is a far out suburb, or it is not in great economic shape? How would it rate as a place to raise a family?

Also info on real estate housing.

How does it rate for transit/commute access to Philadelphia / center city / .... for work, or weekend fun?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Default School District Rankings - Statewide

Pittsburgh Business Times 2008 Rankings:

http://www.svsd.net/important-news/important_news_attachments/pbt_state_rank_2008.pdf (broken link)

If the link fails for any reason, you can access it this way:

SV State Ranking Increases — Seneca Valley School District (http://www.svsd.net/important-news/in_13may08a - broken link)

Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
King of Prussia is very nice, however the traffic is very heavy BECAUSE there is so much business located there. This means the job opportunities are plentiful. Housing prices are not as bad as some places in the area, but still more expensive than others slightly further west. I think when the PP said "not bad" he meant the school district, Upper Merion. It is decent, but not as good as some surrounding districts. But of course you pay more in taxes and housing costs for better districts, that's pretty much true anywhere. There are lots of nice little neighborhoods in KOP, however if I were working in KOP I might choose a very nearby town...either Wayne, Devon, Berwyn or Paoli if I could afford it...or Collegeville, Upper Providence, or Valley Forge if I wanted more house for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia