U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 PM
 
13 posts, read 57,943 times
Reputation: 13
Default Reception Halls in Phila.

Hi everyone,

Me and My fiance are getting married in a year (9/19/2009) and we are looking for places to have our reception inside the city. We have been looking for about a month now and its been a big mess so far. Most of the places we've looked at are either overly expensive or have a good price but won't allow outside caterers. The reception is pretty small (80-90 people), so I don't see why this is becoming so difficult. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 4,281,514 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativephilly View Post
Hi everyone,

Me and My fiance are getting married in a year (9/19/2009) and we are looking for places to have our reception inside the city. We have been looking for about a month now and its been a big mess so far. Most of the places we've looked at are either overly expensive or have a good price but won't allow outside caterers. The reception is pretty small (80-90 people), so I don't see why this is becoming so difficult. Anyone have any suggestions?
My anniversary is 9/23 - we got married outside at Headhouse Square (you know the covered Market thing at 2nd & Pine) and we had our reception across the street at the Society Hill Dance Academy. For the cost of the $50 permit we had the northbound side of 2nd St. closed for 4 hours.

Since it's a dance studio it's a big open space with a great sound system and the owners were super flexible - and the place is very affordable.

We brought in our own caterer, our own booze, and our own DJ.

I'll post some pics for you if I can find some good ones that are still reasonably private.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
 
13 posts, read 57,943 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks Solib,

Funny you mention society hill dance studio. My Fiance and I stopped past there not even 2 hours ago. We are having our ceremony in a church but the society hill dance company is at the top of our list at this point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 4,281,514 times
Reputation: 584
*Mod - my wedding = my pictures*

We also had an after party next door at the Dark Horse. You can rent rooms there for $100 - just don't tell them it's for a wedding. Everyone paid for their own drinks at the Dark Horse but, with our friends, 9:30 is way too early to end a party so we invited everyone next door, had a chance to actually hang out and enjoy ourselves, and politely ducked out at midnight. At that point I don't think anyone noticed we had left.

This is from Headhouse Square looking over at the Society Hill Dance Academy


From inside


Outside


From SSDH looking across to Headhouse Square (this was right after the ceremony)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
 
13 posts, read 57,943 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
*Mod - my wedding = my pictures*

We also had an after party next door at the Dark Horse. You can rent rooms there for $100 - just don't tell them it's for a wedding. Everyone paid for their own drinks at the Dark Horse but, with our friends, 9:30 is way too early to end a party so we invited everyone next door, had a chance to actually hang out and enjoy ourselves, and politely ducked out at midnight. At that point I don't think anyone noticed we had left.

This is from Headhouse Square looking over at the Society Hill Dance Academy


From inside


Outside


From SSDH looking across to Headhouse Square (this was right after the ceremony)
Looks like you had a wonderful time solib. Thanks for the help. I will keep them in mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Katy, TX
1,286 posts, read 3,289,506 times
Reputation: 610
solibs...is that Christian Siriano in your photo?? Sure looks like it...

looks like a lovely location.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
91 posts, read 223,857 times
Reputation: 34
I was going to post earlier with a rec to have the reception under the the Headhouse Shambles. I saw a planner set up a wedding reception in the Shambles once that was gorgeous. I hesitated to post because I couldn't remember if the caterer told me they were the "official" caterer. It was a South Philadelphia restaurant that did the food, so probably the bride's choice and not a requirement. Is it the South St/Headhouse District the OP would go to for the permit and to find out details like that?

I also agree that the Dance Academy is a great space. I've peeked in the window at quite a few gorgeous events there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 4,281,514 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
solibs...is that Christian Siriano in your photo?? Sure looks like it...

looks like a lovely location.
haha! I had no idea who Christian Siriano is so I had to look him up. Yes there is a striking resemblance but no, they are not the same person. I'll have to let him know now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
 
13 posts, read 57,943 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
I was going to post earlier with a rec to have the reception under the the Headhouse Shambles. I saw a planner set up a wedding reception in the Shambles once that was gorgeous. I hesitated to post because I couldn't remember if the caterer told me they were the "official" caterer. It was a South Philadelphia restaurant that did the food, so probably the bride's choice and not a requirement. Is it the South St/Headhouse District the OP would go to for the permit and to find out details like that?

I also agree that the Dance Academy is a great space. I've peeked in the window at quite a few gorgeous events there.
Thanks Guys. Seems like the dance academy might be the way to go.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top