U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 23,685 times
Default Diverse/Family friendly neighborhoods outside of Phildelphia?

Hi, all

I grew up in Philadelphia/South New Jersey. Moved to Michigan in 1996.
I am AA, my husband is caucasion. We have 2 beautiful biracial children.
Would love to move close to my extended family but it's a tough call.

We currently reside in a suburb of Michigan. It is very safe, family friendly, diverse and our children attend one of the best school's in our area.

I am looking for a safe neighborhood, excellent schools, diversity, etc. near Philadelphia. Affordable housing would also be a plus!

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
~Lyris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM

160 posts, read 474,536 times
Check out Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County. I went there, and believe me, it's about as diverse as a "suburban" school could get! It has a city feel, and is literally just outside the city, but is a good suburban school. I loved the high school there. However, I should say that living near a major city like Philadelphia, many of the suburban schools are plenty diverse. I would be surprised if you lived anywhere(Abington, Jenkintown, Willow Grove, etc)and felt odd due to your biracial family. There's plenty of diversity all over here, so I wouldn't worry too much. The only areas that may not be quite as diverse are further from the city. So look at a map and you could probably figure out where that may be, parts of Mongtomery and Bucks County,etc. Still, I highly recommend Cheltenham school district and you will in NO WAY feel out of place. There's a heavy jewish population as well as african american, hispanic, asian, middle eastern and caucasion. I myself am mixed(Jamaican mother, caucasian father)and I loved that I had friends of all different backgrounds. We also regularly had exchange students and ESL classes for all kids who did not know english as there primary language.

Unread 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM

7,447 posts, read 10,455,795 times
I definitely agree with Cheltenham/Abington.

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,954,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
Hi, all

I grew up in Philadelphia/South New Jersey. Moved to Michigan in 1996.
I am AA, my husband is caucasion. We have 2 beautiful biracial children.
Would love to move close to my extended family but it's a tough call.

We currently reside in a suburb of Michigan. It is very safe, family friendly, diverse and our children attend one of the best school's in our area.

I am looking for a safe neighborhood, excellent schools, diversity, etc. near Philadelphia. Affordable housing would also be a plus!

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
~Lyris
You should read the thread at the top of the Philadelphia Forum entitled -

Questions For Future and Potential Residents

cut and past those questions and provide your answers for us and we can offer you much more precise advice.

Unread 10-03-2008, 04:38 PM

9 posts, read 23,685 times
Thank you all very much. I really appreciate the advice.
~Lyris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia