U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM

71 posts, read 320,305 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Philadelphia with my boyfriend, and he has a possible job in King of Prussia. This is all tentative, but the idea of moving out of the city is very appealing, as we have both learned that it simply isn't for us. We both miss having a car, and I miss having a Target and local grocery stores instead of all these overpriced specialty stores!

That being said, we both don't know much about the surrounding suburbs, King of Prussia included (we moved straight to Philly from VA about a year ago) and so I was wondering where are the best places to live out there? We can afford to go no higher than about $1200 a month, but something around $1000 a month would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. We want somewhere safe (which I think almost anywhere will be compared to Philly, close to lots of shopping, and decent restaurants and entertainment. It would also be nice to be sort of close to a train station since I will still be commuting into the city and don't know if I really feel like driving in every day.

Would living in King of Prussia be fine, or are there nearby cities/towns/suburban areas that are better?

Thanks so much for any help!

Also, I had one more question. We both have never been to KoP because we really don't know how to get there any way but the bus. I don't really want to take a super long bus ride, but is there a train that will take us there that maybe I overlooked? What is the best way to get to KoP from Center City without a car???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 PM

2,781 posts, read 6,632,450 times
What about Bala Cynwyd?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
What about Bala Cynwyd?
Can you give me some info about it? I don't know anything about the surrounding areas. Train/bus routes from Center City to these towns/cities? apartments, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, safety? What's better about Bala Cynwyd than King of Prussia? Which areas should I avoid?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelef1l View Post
Can you give me some info about it? I don't know anything about the surrounding areas. Train/bus routes from Center City to these towns/cities? apartments, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, safety? What's better about Bala Cynwyd than King of Prussia? Which areas should I avoid?
Well Bala Cynwyd isn't terribly far from KoP, not terribly far from the city, train stop, plenty of apartments, plenty of shopping, food, entertainment, near the new Target. The closer you are to the 'edge' of Bala Cynwyd, the more crime there is, but overall, it's very safe.

Nothing wrong with living in KoP at all, it's just an alternative.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM

8,228 posts, read 18,898,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelef1l View Post
Also, I had one more question. We both have never been to KoP because we really don't know how to get there any way but the bus. I don't really want to take a super long bus ride, but is there a train that will take us there that maybe I overlooked? What is the best way to get to KoP from Center City without a car???
Besides the "super long bus ride" on the 124 or 125, the other alternative would be to take the Market-Frankford El to the last westbound stop at 69th Street. From there, transfer for an additional fee to the Route 100 High-Speed Line. Get off at the Gulph Mills stop and hop on any of the 123, 124 and 125 buses heading towards King of Prussia. (Alternately, you could also catch the 123 bus at 69th Street.)

It's not the smoothest connection, I know... and the idea of a more convenient train stop has been floated around for years. But if you're from Northern Virginia then you can consider King of Prussia to be the "Tysons Corner" of Philly. Sometimes this is good (lots of jobs, huge upscale mall complex); sometimes this is bad (traffic snarls, inconvenient transit).

Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Besides the "super long bus ride" on the 124 or 125, the other alternative would be to take the Market-Frankford El to the last westbound stop at 69th Street. From there, transfer for an additional fee to the Route 100 High-Speed Line. Get off at the Gulph Mills stop and hop on any of the 123, 124 and 125 buses heading towards King of Prussia. (Alternately, you could also catch the 123 bus at 69th Street.)

It's not the smoothest connection, I know... and the idea of a more convenient train stop has been floated around for years. But if you're from Northern Virginia then you can consider King of Prussia to be the "Tysons Corner" of Philly. Sometimes this is good (lots of jobs, huge upscale mall complex); sometimes this is bad (traffic snarls, inconvenient transit).
Thanks for the bus/train routes. I guess it's just something I would have to suck up and deal with! Do you know how long the 123 bus ride would be from 69th st to KoP?

Also, how is the cost of living out there? is it the same as in Philly or a little cheaper?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM

I would assume KoP is more expensive than most parts of Philly.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,059,704 times
You would definitely want to catch the Norristown high speed line route 100 THEN the bus to KOP, the ride on the bus from 69th street would be a good hour...

You guys should check out Conshohocken -it has a train station, young city like vibe, reasonable rents, cool little downtown with bars and restaurants...great place for young people and well situated betwen the city and KOP...

Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 AM

8,228 posts, read 18,898,720 times
I agree that King Of Prussia will be relatively expensive compared to the city, but less than over on the Main Line. Orrmobl's suggestion of Conshocken would be the perfect choice for your situation.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 AM

OK, so I looked up some of these routes to get to KoP from my place. I could either take a bus (probably the 42 or 21, not a problem, right in front of my apt) to 69th st station, and take the Norristown high speed 100 to the Norristown transportation center, where I assume there is a bus that goes straight to King of Prussia. Or I could just get on the train at Suburban Station (just three or four blocks up from my apt) and take the R6 to the Norristown transportation center, then the bus.

I live on 20th st, so would it be quicker to take the bus all the way to 69th and go that way, or just take the R6?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to figure out the best way to get there and not get lost!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia