Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 PM

12 posts, read 37,541 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a townhome in Doylestown. Anyone familiar with any of communities and any feedback on if child friendly or any other pros/cons? Thanks.

Villages at Buckingham
Heritage Center
Summerhill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:43 PM

183 posts, read 629,606 times
If you go south of town, to Warrington, or even Warminster, you will get more townhouse for your money.
Also check along York Rd in Jamison area.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 PM

692 posts, read 2,342,693 times
I don't know that I would recommend going south of Doylestown, unfortunately Warminster and Warrington USED to be nice, but lately have been going a little down hill, I just had a client move from Warrington to Yardley due to recent crime in her neighborhood... Doylestown is still very safe and quiet community I would stick in that area, or even venture towards Upper Makefield/Wrightstown/Yardley/Newtown areas.. Council Rock schools are very good.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,752,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
Council Rock schools are very good.
In some people's opinion, lol

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM

183 posts, read 629,606 times
There are some nice townhome developments along York Rd in Jamison. The area still has a country feel, but is minutes from Doylestown.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 AM

692 posts, read 2,342,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
In some people's opinion, lol

It's not really an opinion, it's consistantly documented w/ test scores and rankings.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,752,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
It's not really an opinion, it's consistantly documented w/ test scores and rankings.
I'm not talking about test scores and rankings. I'm talking about the student experience there. The students, the teachers, the size of the school. I graduated from Council Rock, I hated it, it's so big that no one knows or cares who you are. Unless you're super popular like a cheerleader or unless you cause trouble and get detention every week, most of the teachers, the principal or any other staff members wouldn't be able to pick you out of a line up. It's so impersonal, it's like you're just another number going through their system to make them look good.

There's a few exceptions - I know at least one teacher there will have remembered me. But no surprise he was the photography teacher so he had smaller classes and spent more time helping individual students.

But for the most part, I grew to hate the school because it's so oversized, you get lost in the crowd. When I was there, there was about 900-1000 students per grade. It took 2 hours for every student to be given their diploma at graduation and that was even in super speed. By the time you walked up to shake hands with the principal (who doesn't even know who you are), they are already calling someone elses name!

I realize some people don't mind big schools. And I realize that all big schools are this way, not just Council Rock. But that is why it IS a matter of opinion. Will you get a good education? Probably. But that doesn't mean it's an enjoyable experience for every single student. One of my friends hated it so much, he moved to live with his mom instead of his dad just to get away from Council Rock! And myself? We'll lets just say that several mornings I was late for school because I was having panic attacks at the idea of going to school.

It's not just about test scores and rankings - although that is important when considering schools, it doesn't automatically mean your child will have a good experience.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM

61 posts, read 191,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafinmail View Post
We are looking for a townhome in Doylestown. Anyone familiar with any of communities and any feedback on if child friendly or any other pros/cons? Thanks.

Villages at Buckingham
Heritage Center
Summerhill
Doylestown is a great place to live if you can afford it (high housing prices and property taxes). It's child friendly, it's safe, very low crime, Doylestown is the last train station on the R5 line into Philadelphia.. It's an hour commute on the train into Center city. It has a historic small town feel to it with coffee houses and a few Bars, lots of hair salons and knick-knack shops. Plus the Bucks county courthouse, so there's plenty of lawyers around.. lol

I live in Chalfont, which is about 5 miles west.. but I would move into Doylestown if I can afford it.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM

61 posts, read 134,018 times
Default doylestown pa sandy ridge twins

Dear friends

beware of moving into the Sandy Ridge Twins. There's quite a problem here with ants. I found out the hard way. All of my neighbors have confirmed it too. Its really quite awful.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,795,279 times
Doylestown is in central bucks NOT Council rock school district. Doylestown is VERY nice. Zero crime, great walkable downtown and super nice homestock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia