Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times

Advertisements

What is it like? Is it feasible to live in the city and commute the Ambler campus? How long would it take from Center City? I've been accepted to the Ambler campus but would like to live in the city. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:23 PM

183 posts, read 631,744 times
It's a beautiful campus. They run buses from there to the main campus in the city, so I guess you can catch a ride in the other direction. Drive time from center city would be 40 minutes or so. You can also take a Septa train to Ambler, but the campus is several miles from the station.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 78,478 times
The Ambler campus is in a very nice setting, but it is obviously much smaller than the main campus, and therefore it doesn't offer nearly as much. And as the previous poster said, your transportation options include the shuttle from main campus, driving, or taking the R5 train. And although the campus is probably about 2 miles from the train station, there is a free shuttle bus from the train station to the campus. The shuttle from main campus is obviously the best bet if you live anywhere near North Philly since it's free and you can do work or sleep during the ride. However, they do have dorms on the Ambler campus, so you could always live there and then shuttle down to the city as needed.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
The campus shuttles are free so they're the best bet. From the main campus to Ambler it takes 45 minutes.

The train will cost you but if you already have a transit pass it will be $1 or $2 per ride. It takes 20 minutes from the main campus to Ambler station and the shuttle bus to the Ambler campus meets every train and takes, at most, 5 minutes.

It's a really nice campus but it is a little isolated. I'm in the Spanish Lit. program on the main campus (even though, thus far, i've taken most of my classes in Center City) but I had to go to Ambler a few times because that's where the urban planning department (went to Rutgers for that)

If you had classes there everyday it would suck. Twice a week wouldn't be so bad.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
To get my degree, and to work around my schedule, I had to go to both campuses- the main, and up in Ambler. I lived in Philly, so of course the main one was closer. I preferred the Ambler one though. I didn't have to drive through dangerous streets, and I found it alittle.....dirty there. In Ambler it is beautiful, and very.....different. Luckily, I had a car and I drove. I didn't mind the extra gas or time it took to go to the Ambler over the main.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
To get my degree, and to work around my schedule, I had to go to both campuses- the main, and up in Ambler. I lived in Philly, so of course the main one was closer. I preferred the Ambler one though. I didn't have to drive through dangerous streets, and I found it alittle.....dirty there. In Ambler it is beautiful, and very.....different. Luckily, I had a car and I drove. I didn't mind the extra gas or time it took to go to the Ambler over the main.
What?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 AM

21 posts, read 89,055 times
It's a really nice campus but it is a little isolated. I'm in the Spanish Lit. program on the main campus (even though, thus far, i've taken most of my classes in Center City) but I had to go to Ambler a few times because that's where the urban planning department (went to Rutgers for that)

Hi,

Can I ask you how the urban planning program experience was for you? did you get a Master? I am looking into Rutgers MCRP. The only downside is that I'm also interested in Landscape Arch and they don't have a dual MLA/MCRP.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
ha. doesn't every planner go for an MLA?

I don't have a master's yet. I working on another undergrad in Spanish right now and will probably do my graduate (planning) work in Spain. Although, the job market in Australia is so hot right now I might wind up there.

I liked Rutgers a lot. Well, i liked the faculty. They come from diverse areas within the profession and, at least the undergrad aspect, was intellectually challenging. I would imagine the grad program is a lot more about studios and real world projects and a lot less about theory. Anyway, as an undergrad the school bureaucracy leaves a bit to be desired but I'm sure that's different on the graduate level.

As far as prestige goes, I'm sure you know the Bloustein School has an excellent national and international reputation despite being relatively new. I mean, if you're sending a resume to Ireland or Australia your interviewer will likely be familiar with the programs at UPenn, UChicago, maybe UMichigan and Rutgers - and that's about it.

Personally, i'd be more interested in a master's that focused more on urban design than landscaping . . . but that's why i'm looking to Mardrid and Barcelona. They know what's up when it comes to gorgeous streetscapes.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
What?
Ummm....can you elaborate?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
Ummm....can you elaborate?
How is our campus 'dirty'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: