Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

Please share your experience if you moved to metro-Philadelphia from a different region/metro.

In addtion to your experience, it would help to know where you moved from, and which general region of metro Philadelphia you moved to.

Thanks.

Last edited by FromGA; 10-18-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Error in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Anyone, care to share your experience?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM

253 posts, read 868,983 times
I moved here in 2005 and am literally counting down the months until I leave. I could write a dissertation on why I hate this G-d forsaken town so much.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
The following is from an other blog and shows how one person delt with the culture shock of moving from the rural south to downtown Philly

I moved to Philly!
http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/images/icons/icon1.gif (broken link)I posted on here before my move to Philly last April (and after many weeks of lurking, reading, and learning). I ended up in Old City, which has had some mixed results for me, but the advice I got from PB was invaluable. For instance, as recommended I did decide to leave my car with my Mom in NC, and while going without a car has been a huge adjustment at times, it was 100% the right decision for me.

I will admit that living in downtown Philly has been a big cultural and lifestyle change. I went from a small town of 900 in rural NC to the Atlanta suburbs to here. But I love Philly! The energy and vibrancy of downtown life is exciting, I like having things so close that I can walk to them, I like being surrounded by culture and diversity. There is always something to do and something to learn. The only thing I don't like about where I live is the noise. I live on a busy street corner (3rd and Race) and it is really loud. If I had it to do over, I think I would have chosen a more residential neighborhood. And maybe a cheaper one, too. http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/images/smilies/smile.gif (broken link)

Philadelphians are a different breed than Southerners in general, and I have a pretty heavy Southern accent, so I know I stand out every time I open my mouth. But overall folks have been really nice and friendly to me, and I have never, ever not been able to find someone on the street to help me when I have needed it (especially early on when I was confused about SEPTA!). I really love it here. It was the right move for me, and I've made frequent use of PB for advice, or mostly just searched through old posts to find information. It is a great resource, and I hope it survives its recent upheavals.

Of course, my relationship with Philly may change in a week, because if both the Panthers and the Eagles win this weekend, it will be ON!! http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/images/smilies/biggrin.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia