U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,669 times
Default Bala cynwyd and other Philadelphia suburbs

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to move to philadelphia area and need some help with philadelphia suburbs. Our workplace will be most probably in Bala Cynwyd, so we want to get an apartment within 20-25 minute driving distance from there. Could anybody let me know which suburbs are safe but not too expensive. Also some place with trees, grass, area where u c take an evening walk would be nice. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment for not more than $1600 - $1700. Is it possible to get a nice apartment (hard wood floor, washer dryer in unit) in that price range or am I day dreaming?

Also how much in advance should I start looking for an apartment? A month/ couple of months?

Another concern that we have is traffic and public transport. Right now we live and connecticut and drive to new york (state not city) and traffic can be very bad sometimes. How is it around philly. Is it easy to get to philly by public transport from the suburbs?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,230,921 times
Havertown, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr would be my first choices.

Also Drexel Hill but it is not quite as upscale as the areas listed above. Drexelbrook is very nice, affordable, has a lot of green space, and a trolley line and buses run right by it.

For that amount of money you should find something very nice, just make sure its a reputable property manager because you never know what a place looks like in person.

All of these areas have public transportation and it is very good in the Philadelphia area...many different modes, all reliable...I would start looking now just to whittle down a place esp since home prices have held pretty steady in this area so rentals are in higher demand...

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,279,103 times
If you're working in Bala then you're office is most likely on City Ave. All those places that Orr mentioned are good.

Traffic can be bad but not terrible. Transit is good in Philly and the suburbs. The R5 and R6 regional rail lines both have stops on City Ave. The R5 has very good service. Even off-peak it's usually every half hour. The R6 as very limited service. City Ave. itself (which is alternately called City Line and Township Line) has really good bus service. Most of the routes run between 69th St. in Upper Darby and Wissahickon in the city but a few, like the 44, for instance, go for a stretch along City Ave. before heading into Bala then onto Ardmore.

If you're working in the suburbs it's probably best to live there too - that way you don't have to pay the wage tax. But if your work is on the city side of the street and you're paying the tax anyway you should check out the Roxborough, Andorra, East Falls and Mt. Airy neighborhoods in the city. They're great neighborhoods with a more suburban vibe that are very close to Bala. East Falls is literally across the river.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 AM

41 posts, read 77,949 times
We looked at a lot of apartments near SJU for my daughter. There was a real variety of physical condition as most of the buildings are older. One place we liked was Edgehill Court on Old Lancaster Rd (Bala Cynwyd). It has hardwood floors, french doors and is in a great location 2 blocks away from (loud) City Ave and the bus (44 I think), near the Bala library, a short walk to the center of town. A great area to walk - beautiful old homes and there's even a little park to walk to at the corner of N Latches and Merion Rd. I don't know anything about the management/landlord - we didn't rent there as my daughter was looking for a studio.

If you love the outdoors, you might want to be close to Fairmount Park. For example, there is a rental up behind the Presidential - I forget the name - corner of Neill Dr and Presidential Blvd, but the buildings are low and new(er) and its an easy drive / bike (longish walk) to the park. It's right off E City Ave (about 3 miles from Bala Cynwyd), you can avoid City Ave traffic by taking Presidential Blvd. I think that side of the park is closed to traffic on the weekends, so its great for walking / biking / running etc.

I'd pay attention to what the others are saying about taxes - there seems to be quite a difference depending on which side of City Ave you are working / living on.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

160 posts, read 509,942 times
I work in Bala and I think you'll like how accessible it is to the city and other suburbs. You will be close to King of Prussia which means shopping, restaurants, etc. You will be able to get downtown in 20min or less via 76(if there's no traffic).Any of the mainline areas(Wynnewood might be really nice for you)will be a comfortable commute and a nice area to live in. I will be honest, traffic on city ave, depending on the time of day, can be very congested. However, I rarely have a problem and there are plenty of backroads to avoid taking City Ave if it's backed up. In Bala you will have everything you need if you found an apartment you like there;La Fitness,Acme,restaurants, Target, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia