U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM

337 posts, read 469,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Good guesses,and I would have to go with #2
I lived in south philly for a couple of years and now Bridesburg...that mysterious place next to Port Richmond
So how am I wrong anyway?...
i thought i delineated this before, but i guess i did without clarity
honestly, i cant go into it without getting this thread closed
people seem to be very sensitive here about the truth that people who have lived here all their lives know about..."OMG, the sun is shining in the morning??? how dare you say that!!!"
i can tell you over PM

Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,855,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
i thought i delineated this before, but i guess i did without clarity
honestly, i cant go into it without getting this thread closed
people seem to be very sensitive here about the truth that people who have lived here all their lives know about..."OMG, the sun is shining in the morning??? how dare you say that!!!"
i can tell you over PM
I totally understand! And trust me I am NOT one of those people...I'm from NJ,we deal with the hard truths

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM

337 posts, read 469,879 times
gentrification is funny with philly neighborhoods
gentrification i alot of places is like bombing for roaches
in philly, its putting up condos to compensate for USP and penn grads who are obsessed with name dropping some $300 place they ate at

they dont bomb for roaches (not literally) when they gentrify here
here, its putting in a new shiney counter top and saying that you dont have to worry about roaches
thats denial
these neighborhoods are still striving strong and their old attitudes are being heavily maintained by young and old, especially south philly ala passyunk east

again, we all know this is true about philly

Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 17,227 times
There are many neighborhoods which are currently going through the gentrification process in philadelphia. The largest ones I believe are NoLibs and the G-Ho area. Specifically those two beacuse of the acronyms people have already given them.

Center city is thriving and it is pushing outwards in all directions. Olde city has already been acquired and is now pushing out towards NoLibs, Fishtown, Kensington area.

Brewerytown is undergoing gentrification with the creation of the brewerytown square and the spillover of young professionals moving outward from the fairmount/art museum district.

South of Southstreet/SoSo and G-Ho are spillovers of the more wealthier Rittenhouse Square crowd.

West Philadelphia is a whole other story. Many of the poor residents hate the term "University City". Well they are just going to have to deal with it. Thank god someone is investing enough money into the crime ridden areas that fell to **** after the mass migration of wealthy white people left the city. Maybe these areas are getting to expensive for the poor that have been there for years, well guess what, cities are the new trend. What was once left slowly but surely is being reclaimed.

The borough of Manhattan can be seen as 100% completely gentrified with the exception of north manhattan. Its too poor for even young undergraduates to live on their own without supplemented income.

Families are growing, more and more professionals are staying in philadelphia after graduation and these crowds don't want to live in the poor areas. So they live in the moderate areas ultimately pushing out lower income residents. I am a heartless bastard when it comes to making a world class city out of philadelphia and I hope every last murderer and drug dealer gets pushed far out of any area remotely close to the downtown area. Many poor residents are good people, unfortunately many bad parents are poor and decide to let their kids run wild and create the crime we see today. Parents can't even keep their kids in school, so you can't blame the teachers and the system for failing.

Gentrify PHILLY!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM

101 posts, read 258,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Fishtown...It's not like there's a ton of shiny, new condos on the market there. It's all really old rowhouses. That and there's not much going on.
i didn't read this whole thread but this made me laugh.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 PM

311 posts, read 591,178 times
SW Philly is not gentrifying at all. Port Richmond is questionable. Parkside is slowly building up.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 AM

599 posts, read 1,021,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
It's all really old rowhouses. That and there's not much going on.
Perhaps you should go on some more recent information versus old/outdated.
Or read a bit. There's a lot of development going on in Fishtown, both residentially and commercially.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 AM

599 posts, read 1,021,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggtimer View Post
i didn't read this whole thread but this made me laugh.
See above.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM

16 posts, read 34,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
SW Philly is not gentrifying at all.
Nobody said anything about Southwest Philly. Someone mentioned Southwest Center City a.k.a. Grad Hospital a.k.a. South of South, which is something different from SW Philly. It's undergoing major gentrification, and it's happening at lightning pace.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 7,377,201 times
FYI-no one actually says nolibs, it's northern liberties..though many type nolibs. the are wasn't poor, it was barren industrial. west philly has become nice enough that areas such as spruce hill have their own identity and no longer need to latch onto university city's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia