Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 12:20 PM

344 posts, read 841,849 times

Advertisements

i was born and raised here. i am a 34 year old male. i went to schools in overbrook and wynnefield as well as Phelps and Shippensburg. was in western NY for about 6 years and have been back home here for 5 years. i live in university city

it seriously seems as if its getting more and violent here every year. i really do prize center city over the burbs. the burbs have changed alot since the 80's. they (main line) were fun back then, and now they are old money with angry mercedes-driving farts that need to prove something via image. i find that in center city, no matter who you are, compared to many places out of state, you are still treated with dignity by others.

my appreciation for this is declining, for i find that the middle class that made philly awesome....i dont know where the hell they went, but they found their destination sometime in the mid 90's???

seriously. the two classes in philly appear to now be:
-anrgy/disgruntled/edgey/ready-to-snap/excess-procreation/haterville
and
-pretentious/steven star restauraunt/fake/ under 30 or over 60

am i wrong????
and can you thrive here anymore if you arent the above???

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-02-2008 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 01:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
the burbs have changed alot since the 80's. they (main line) were fun back then, and now they are old money with angry mercedes-driving farts that need to prove something via image.
Really? So you're saying all of us on the Main Line fit that description? Funny, considering my family is new money, far from angry, doesn't need to prove a damn thing to anyone, and my dad wouldn't buy a Benz, because he finds them to be pretentious. Maybe if we're talking Gladwyne and Villanova, but even so, to say everyone is like that is absurd. I'm sure my Overbrook-raised dad would be insulted...

What a joke...

Old 11-01-2008, 02:04 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Hmmm... well there are still plenty of middle class people in the area, perhaps more so in the 'burbs than in the city. Although granted, many opinions on those who live in the more challenged, lower-income city neighborhoods - as well those who live on the upscale Main Line - have been shared here.
You may have a point that the class stratification within the city limits is higher than before. But generally speaking for the entire metro, I would respectfully disagree.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
seriously. the two classes in philly appear to now be:
-anrgy/disgruntled/edgey/ready-to-snap/excess-procreation/haterville
and
-pretentious/steven star restauraunt/fake/ under 30 or over 60

am i wrong????
and can you thrive here anymore if you arent the above???
I think you're right on...I've kinda been noticing that dichotomy myself.
And I think the dissolving of the once middle class in this country is a contributing factor also.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM

344 posts, read 841,849 times
its as if one group is deciding that the stars are gonna get pushed farther
and the others are gonna be on edge while trying to reach those stars for desperate need of validation
this has made the latter aggressive
as if some fierce competition, for EVERYTHING
it was like that on some mass scale like 15+ years ago
i realize places change, but DAMN
and its every part of the city and burbs you go to
to deny it is like denying that Wayne randomly has klan marches
denial is a river in africa

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
its as if one group is deciding that the stars are gonna get pushed farther
and the others are gonna be on edge while trying to reach those stars for desperate need of validation
this has made the latter aggressive
as if some fierce competition, for EVERYTHING
it was like that on some mass scale like 15+ years ago
i realize places change, but DAMN
and its every part of the city and burbs you go to
to deny it is like denying that Wayne randomly has klan marches
denial is a river in africa
Welcome to Philadelphia...the CITY of denial
So is it really that violent in the suburbs? All of them?
I must admit(see I actually admit things)the last time I was really in a 'suburb' was maybe a year or two ago and it seemed pretty calm to me.
So Wayne has klan marches?...

Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its is not unique to philadelphia. but the problem with the increased urban violence
(which is a clever way of saying what jessie jackson has said for a long long time, we gota a black on black violence problem)
punishment and reward will make it go away. when the people that live with it think there is a problem it will get better and not b4. how many times you have been told its not so bad, im not so bad we are not so bad my city is no so bad. stop it.
i have a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: