Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:04 PM

344 posts, read 841,849 times

Advertisements

specificly lansdale, doylestown, and willow grove

as many of you know, i'm not thrilled with what center city and the main line have tuned into over the last 15 years. i', 33 and am ready to settle somewhere. i have gave up on moving back to cali...was born in philly, but lived in cali from 77 to 83. was gonna move back to there b/c i'm not as easily stressed as east coast employers require...among handfuls of other things.

so what do you guys think about those places above? pros and cons
they are places i've driven thru and have always thought of as boring and out of the loop, but i'm trying to keep an open mind. priorities change with age. am ready to make a family, with kids just as racist as me

seriously though
please engage with me about this

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 AM

i want to also add ambler, glenside, hatboro, and horsham to that list
my guess is that the places near plymouth meeting are less out of the loop?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I'm not too familiar with many of the towns you've named, but I love Landsdale. Schools are really good, some slightly urban, main street feel which I love. Easy train access. Some beautiful older homes as well as some new McMansions if you like that route. Lots of family friendly activites, some good restaurants in the surrounding area.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
All of those towns you mention are solid, older, generally middle-class bedroom communities. Doylestown may be the most upscale of your considerations. You'll be convenient to the major highways as well as SEPTA commuter rail. If finding a safe, reasonably affordable suburb with above-average schools for your family is your priority, you'll have a plethora of choices to choose from.

Not sure how to take the self-mocking of yourself and your children as being "racist"... but you will either be thrilled or disappointed to know that the northern suburbs are fairly diverse.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
All of those towns you mention are solid, older, generally middle-class bedroom communities. Doylestown may be the most upscale of your considerations. You'll be convenient to the major highways as well as SEPTA commuter rail. If finding a safe, reasonably affordable suburb with above-average schools for your family is your priority, you'll have a plethora of choices to choose from.

Not sure how to take the self-mocking of yourself and your children as being "racist"... but you will either be thrilled or disappointed to know that the northern suburbs are fairly diverse.
thanks so much
those areas are far more achievable to visit the hell out of and decide before relocating. what you guys described in terms of climate is what i'm looking for.

sense of humor
i was kidding about my future kids, thus i havent accepted the label
its not like that, but i will call how i see it
city-info forums, not personal-validation forums

not looking for a place that is oh so diverse necessarily
safety and children-oriented community is a priority though

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
I have nothing to add on the towns mentioned, but I feel the need to reiterate my opinion that your view on the Main Line is absolutely absurd.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I have nothing to add on the towns mentioned, but I feel the need to reiterate my opinion that your view on the Main Line is absolutely absurd.
since i've built such a quick and loyal fan base, i'll rspond
the truth has been known to hurt [shrug]
lancaster ave from marion on out has lost its zest and is filled with pretentious cars driven by alcoholics and/or people cheating on their dissatisfied marriages
what it is
i mean, i went to penn valley elementary, phelps, lower marion, and shipley
i totally would NOT know what i'm talking about [rolls eyes]
if you are atleast 30, you would recall Ardmore being happening and far more upper-middle and generally welcoming, to the point that it wasnt an issue

i'll reiterate the facts
you're in denial
earlier i mentioned validation, yes?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
since i've built such a quick and loyal fan base, i'll rspond
the truth has been known to hurt [shrug]
lancaster ave from marion on out has lost its zest and is filled with pretentious cars driven by alcoholics and/or people cheating on their dissatisfied marriages
what it is
i mean, i went to penn valley elementary, phelps, lower marion, and shipley
i totally would NOT know what i'm talking about [rolls eyes]
if you are atleast 30, you would recall Ardmore being happening and far more upper-middle and generally welcoming, to the point that it wasnt an issue

i'll reiterate the facts
you're in denial
earlier i mentioned validation, yes?
So you went to a school you cannot spell correctly? Don't insult my school like that. And alcoholics? No one in my family, nor anyone I know is an alcoholic.

What in hell is a 'pretentious car'?
Cheating on their marriages? What???
Ardmore isn't 'welcoming'? What happened? Someone honk their horn at you? Seriously, saying Ardmore isn't welcoming is laughable.
Even so, it appears you have some sort of an inferiority complex...

Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
So you went to a school you cannot spell correctly? Don't insult my school like that. And alcoholics? No one in my family, nor anyone I know is an alcoholic.

What in hell is a 'pretentious car'?
Cheating on their marriages? What???
Ardmore isn't 'welcoming'? What happened? Someone honk their horn at you? Seriously, saying Ardmore isn't welcoming is laughable.
Even so, it appears you have some sort of an inferiority complex...
you're picking apart a misspelling. you must be early 20's with alot to prove, AND from the main line
this is the point where i suddenly feel as insulted as you AND i care?
[waves]
you desire to respond to me shows how much you dont like how you are seen. proves my earlier points about the area.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
you're picking apart a misspelling. you must be early 20's with alot to prove, AND from the main line
this is the point where i suddenly feel as insulted as you AND i care?
[waves]
you desire to respond to me shows how much you dont like how you are seen. proves my earlier points about the area.
I'm sorry, but it doesn't reflect well on you to misspell the school you evidently attended...

A lot to prove? To whom? I dont have to prove an effing thing to anyone.

Obviously I dont like how I'm 'seen', because it's a bunch of BS. You haven't proven a damn thing, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia