Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
Thanks for the help everybody this has been helpful. What if I were to go on a side street(my aunt lives on Jasper Street) am I still in good shape?
Why did this guy ask a place like c-d instead of just asking his aunt??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM

61 posts, read 77,967 times
If you go to Southwest or the Northern part of this city, you're really risking your life. It's that bad!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
If you go to Southwest or the Northern part of this city, you're really risking your life. It's that bad!

wrong. The northern most part of the city is the safest part.. Somerton..

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM

8,975 posts, read 21,061,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wrong. The northern most part of the city is the safest part.. Somerton..
While I don't totally agree with South Philly bro, I imagine he's referring to North Philly rather than the Northeast Philly neighborhood of Somerton. I know what you trying to say but I'm guessing most locals wouldn't look at the geography that way.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,623,357 times
No local would call the North Philly or the Northeast "Northern Philly". But I know of a certain multiple account having entity who might....

Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While I don't totally agree with South Philly bro, I imagine he's referring to North Philly rather than the Northeast Philly neighborhood of Somerton. I know what you trying to say but I'm guessing most locals wouldn't look at the geography that way.
I figured that too but just wanted to clarify for those who don't know this

Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 PM

148 posts, read 409,861 times
Quote:
Really how dangerous is the kensington/frankford area in philly. If I drive down frankford and kensington just minding my own business am i in any danger??
If you are driving you should be fine. If you were walking, especially at night, then I would advise you to be extremely careful or not go to those areas.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 25,094 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help everybody this has been helpful. What if I were to go on a side street(my aunt lives on Jasper Street) am I still in good shape?
I've read plenty of crime reports for the area, and just bought a house there. Just don't be unaware of your surroundings. Your car window might get smashed if you leave things in plain view, but other than that, you'll be fine.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

219 posts, read 671,261 times
The problem with this thread is that it is easy to confuse, if you're not from the city, the actual neighborhoods of Kensington and Frankford (which, by the way, are not all bad) with the avenues, which start in entirely different neighborhoods.

Kensington Avenue branches off at Front Street and goes northeastwards. From Front and Kensington to Lehigh and Kensington, the neighborhoods to the west and north are horrible, but the neighborhood to the south of the El tracks rapidly improves every block, and by 3 blocks in, you're in a whole different world.

Anything from about Lehigh and Kensington northeastwards, frankly, sucks, although when you cross Allegheny, the neighborhoods to the southeast are a bit better.

As for Frankford Ave, its surroundings are decent and trendy from its source to Lehigh. Then from Lehigh to about Allegheny, they are rather unpleasant. From Allegheny to about Torresdale, the neighborhoods, while still rough around the edges, are nowhere near as bad. In fact, by the time you get to Tioga and Frankford, I would say the neighborhood is somewhat... stable. Beyond Frankford and Torresdale, Frankford continues on for atleast 9 more miles through some declining parts of the lower NEast, then some more stable parts of the lower NEast, and then in the the virtually suburban far NEast, beyond which it enters Bucks County as Bristol Pike.

Below is a useful map tool to look at. The neighborhood south of Frankford, west of Lehigh is Fishtown. The neighborhoods south of Frankford, east of Lehigh, are east and west Port Richmond. Both of these are among the safest in the city. To the west of Frankford is the heart of Kensington:

Philadelphia County Safety Map - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia