U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 17,401 times
Exclamation man-made fire pits

does anyone know when living in philadelphia in rowhomes if u r allowed to build your own firepit in the ground in your front yard w/bricks or stones around them? meaning is there an city ordinance for it of whether it would be a danger of fire getting out of control and if so, how would u build one? my neighbor is doing it and he also has a fence around the front yard where it's being put in. these front yards r not very big. i have a firepit myself but it is a small enclosed one that i bought and use outside. its not actually IN the ground. above ground. i was just wondering if it's ok and they r allowed and shud i be worried living next door to them? plus they are young like 21 yr olds and had remarked when they have parties w/other kids, those kids can throw their cigarette butts in the firepit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,230,921 times
I would bet not considering floating embers could set neighboring houses on fire...I'm not even sure manufactured firepits are a great idea in such close proximity to so many old wooden structures...

Old 12-06-2008, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
I would bet not considering floating embers could set neighboring houses on fire...I'm not even sure manufactured firepits are a great idea in such close proximity to so many old wooden structures...
the fire pit i have i bought in a store and it has the cages around it to prevent sparks and flames hitting anything. i have used quite a few times and i even have a fence too. but its not like i put on a bonfire w/it. the neighbor kid is trying to build his in the ground w/big bricks layering around it. i think that in his case if it's like that, it has to be so many feet away from the home or something. im not sure. but im going to try and find out. but thanks for your input. do u live in philly rowhomes?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,230,921 times
You're welcome. I have lived in rowhomes most of my life, but not in the city. But friends do and I know the structures are closer together and older/more wood/more susceptible to fire...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 PM

674 posts, read 1,322,303 times
I doubt you would be allowed to build one - even in most towns w/ single family homes they prohibit firepits if your neighbors are closeby.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM

337 posts, read 469,879 times
yeah, one cannot do any boonies related stuff even near philadelphia county
even the MOVE people know that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia