Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 AM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
My favorite Indian restaurant in the world is in King of Prussia, and believe me, I've eaten at many Indian restaurants (it's my favorite cuisine )
Location or street or name, please.
I am going to be in the metro Philadelphia area for a visit, and would like to check out some of these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I am going to be in the metro Philadelphia area for a visit, and would like to check out some of these places.
There are other threads on this but . . .

With the exception of Edison I can't really think of an Indian enclave or shopping center or anything like that in the NYC/NJ/Philly area. I kind of think of Indians and their stores and restaurants around here like I would for Greeks. They're all over and just part of the fabric. Indian restaurants are about as prolific as Thai places.

Mehfil in Cherry Hill is really good. It's in the Woodcrest section in a shopping center right off of 295 (exit 32). You can just google it for directions. Oh man, my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.

Yeah, you've done it now, I needed to go out to West Philly anyway and 40th & Chestnut is buffet central. New Delhi, which is on Chestnut, is my favorite.
their intro is hilarious NEW DELHI INDIAN RESTAURANT

Karma is also good
container

Oh, and crap, how could I forget about Tiffin - Tiffin.Com-Fine Indian Cuisine @ affordable prices

Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Jaipur Indian Cuisine

Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
With the exception of Edison I can't really think of an Indian enclave or shopping center or anything like that in the NYC/NJ/Philly area.
well how about Jackson Heights?

its funny, in some ways, little india in cities is a common phenom, but Oak Tree in Edison always cracks me up. its an indian suburb and slowly but surely the indians are engulfing the whole town (including Iselin, Metuchen, Highland Park & New Brunswick) lol

Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well how about Jackson Heights?
Good point, i don't know jack about Queens or the rest of Long Island for that matter.

Quote:
its funny, in some ways, little india in cities is a common phenom, but Oak Tree in Edison always cracks me up. its an indian suburb and slowly but surely the indians are engulfing the whole town (including Iselin, Metuchen, Highland Park & New Brunswick) lol
holy crap! You should see the NEC trains at rush hour. I got off the PATH at Newark one afternoon on my way home from my parents' in JC. As the train was pulling up I turned to see a stampede of south asian men running down the ramp and almost forgot where I was for a minute. It was express to metropark and by the time we left New Brunswick they were all off the train.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Desi Village in KOP is very good as well (though I am not Indian but I recommend it; I'll put my reputation as as white guy on the line).
http://www.desi-village.com/

Yes, there's not as many Indians in this area as there are in the Edison area/Central Jersey, but you surely won't be the only one in town.

Check this out. It's not as helpful as I would have thought, but it might be a good resource for you:
Indians and other South Asians in Philadelphia: An Overview : Historical Society of Pennsylvania (http://www.hsp.org/default.aspx?id=239 - broken link)

Here's another:
Network of Indian Professionals | Philadelphia

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Good point, i don't know jack about Queens or the rest of Long Island for that matter.

holy crap! You should see the NEC trains at rush hour. I got off the PATH at Newark one afternoon on my way home from my parents' in JC. As the train was pulling up I turned to see a stampede of south asian men running down the ramp and almost forgot where I was for a minute. It was express to metropark and by the time we left New Brunswick they were all off the train.
lol, nice.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Desi Village in KOP is very good as well (though I am not Indian but I recommend it; I'll put my reputation as as white guy on the line).
Desi Village Restaurant

Yes, there's not as many Indians in this area as there are in the Edison area/Central Jersey, but you surely won't be the only one in town.

Check this out. It's not as helpful as I would have thought, but it might be a good resource for you:
Indians and other South Asians in Philadelphia: An Overview : Historical Society of Pennsylvania (http://www.hsp.org/default.aspx?id=239 - broken link)

Here's another:
Network of Indian Professionals | Philadelphia

yeah, there are quite a few indians who work in my building on market street. most of the folks i talk to seem to live in the PA burbs

Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 PM

160 posts, read 802,358 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County. Referred to by many of my asian friends as "Little Korea" there are MANY asian-owned shops and restaurants along 5th street. On Cheltenham Avenue there is Hana-Ru, an Asian shopping plaza with a WONDERFUL supermarket and upstairs food court(I often get sushi or fresh fish there). The market in Lansdale is wonderful as well, but as far as an area where many asian people LIVE, Cheltenham is it.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM

160 posts, read 802,358 times
After reading your other posts, I also recommend the following Indian Restaurants:
1.An Indian Affair- manayunk
2.Palace of Asia- Fort Washington
3.Bhagya's Kitchen-small,famil-owned indian store with home-made food in Wyndmoor/Chestnut Hill area
For Asian:
1.korea garden-blue bell
2.POD-Philadelphia
3.PENANG-Philadelphia,Chinatown

Remember Philly is pretty diverse, so I think it's rare to be in a suburb that would have no toerh cultural influence. My picks are still Cheltenham Township for number of Asians, although honestly Abington has quite a few Indian and Asian families as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia