U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,279,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudgirl View Post
When compared to NYC, the philly system is really tiny. There are really only two subway lines and then there are trolleys that run in west philly. Personally, I don't like using the subway system because I can rarely get to where I need to go. Also it is expensive (2 bucks a ride) and I would rather drive and pay the meter, which is cheaper.
Why would you compare Philly to NYC? NYC has 8.5 million people in a metro of 21 million. Philly has 1.5 million people in a metro of 6 million. You would compare Philly to Boston, San Francisco or DC and, if you'd like, to Houston or Phoenix or Detroit.

Unless you're buying drugs at 22nd & Lehigh I don't understand where it is you need to go that you can't take a subway or trolley to.

A token is $1.45, a weekly pass is unlimited rides for $21. a monthly pass works out to be even cheaper and they include free, off-peak rides on regional rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,628 times
I HATE phillys public transportation. NOTHING is ever on time- ever! (I once waited for a bus for over an hour after it was supposed to be there). The subways are really a let down in my oppinion compared to almost any other city's. they go nearly as many places as I wish they would.
I have my car with me and hate it too. I'll just be honest I really hate trying to get around the city - it is pretty biker friendly though (one of my roommates bikes everywhere).
listen I am a straight up philly girl and love the city but I honestly despise the public transit here

Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,004,595 times
DC's metro is not a hybrid subway/commuter rail. It's a subway that runs deep into the suburbs. Our commuter rail is MARC and VRE! Here is a picture of the Bethesda (MD) station.

SUBWAYS in Philadelphia-bethesda-metro.jpg

Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM

36 posts, read 135,702 times
Septa really isn't that bad- generally speaking the busses show up on time, as do the regional rail. Occassionally it seems as if the agency is unprepared- When the Phillies won the series they weren't running enough trains and busses and people got stuck in outer n'hoods and couldn't watch the parade (bummer for a once in a lifetime event). Some bus routes in the summer are under served as well, when during rush hour they are so crowded they don't stop (I've seen this happen on rush hour busses running from downtown to south philly as well as some busses connecting the el to some neighborhoods in ne philly).

As far as the actual setup of the system, I think it works pretty well in general. There are n'hoods with no access to the subway, but in many of them there are regional rail routes that can get you downtown just as swiftly.

Its not that the subways down here are more dangerous than NYC's, its just that the city is in general. As far as safety and violence is concerned Philly is like New York was in the 1970's (we are about 20 years behind). The el and the broad st line are usually crowded at night making them alittle safer, but they don't run anywhere near as frequently as NYC subways, plus most outerlying n'hoods will require you to catch a bus after the train

Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC's metro is not a hybrid subway/commuter rail. It's a subway that runs deep into the suburbs. Our commuter rail is MARC and VRE! Here is a picture of the Bethesda (MD) station.

Attachment 33886
I've used MARC to get from Baltimore to DC and to get from DC to Rockville. I've also used VRE to get from DC to Manassas. Yes, both systems are like regional rail trains everywhere.

The DC Metro uses heavy rail vehicles that run on a 3rd rail, so, in that sense it is certainly a "subway".

In a practical sense it functions like a cross between a subway system and a regional rail system. Sure, the stops are close together downtown but once you get outside of that area there are neighborhoods in between stations that aren't walkable from either station. Once outside of the district and arlington most stations are 1-2 miles apart and further and don't serve neighborhoods so much as large park & ride lots/garages.

If you live in DC you can use it as a subway to get to most points of interest but the bulk of the ridership is from people outside of DC who take it into the city for work or cultural opporunities.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

Attachment 33886
You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe.

Yes, technically DC's Metrorail is a subway but it's nicer than most subways and equivalent IMO to the Bay Area's BART. Perhaps a better comparison would be a luxurious version of the Market-Frankford El.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Oops, I didn't read solibs' response first which I basically copied.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Oops, I didn't read solibs' response first which I basically copied.
Metro=BART=PATCO=MARTA

They all charge you by how far you go, not a single transit fare, and they all have stops that are close together downtown and in other edge cities or regional hubs they might serve and they're further apart outside of those areas with large park & rides being a prominent feature . . . I will admit though, that in the case of all 4 systems great strides are being made to fill in the parking lots with productive uses (housing, offices, shops) and move the parking into adjacent garages.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM

4,386 posts, read 5,004,595 times
I disagree with your evaluation. Metro is not like BART or MARTA or PATCO. It's a traditional subway system that runs in the city as well as the burbs. The station pic that I showed you is a typical suburban station. Above this station, there is a bustling, vibrant and walkable city called Bethesda. There are no parking lots. You are making a generalization. Yes there are stations that have the characteristics of what you described but they are at the end of the line. The bulk of the suburban stations are in urban areas like Pentagon City, Crystal City, King Street, Ballston, Court House, Wheaton, Silver Spring, etc... I can name about ten more. These are urban suburbs. You can ride from Bethesda to Pentagon City without having to come outside. This is not commuter rail. Plus DC's Metro averages about 800,000 riders a day. BART, MARTA and PATCO combined probably don't average more than 900,000 riders.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

46 posts, read 116,185 times
If you're looking for a comparison to the system in a city like Boston, I can provide some insight. I have had only had limited experience with the SEPTA subways, but the MBTA in Boston is a much more extensive system, with four lines converging downtown, as well as a high-speed bus line. They have recently upgraded probably 50% of the udnerground stations in recent years so all are clean and nice-- I dont know but I dont believe theyve done much of that in Philly. Boston is also a much smaller city (in terms of area), so almost all of the city's neighborhoods are within walking distance of subway. So in terms of subway as opposed to public transit as a whole, Boston is much better served. It is certainly not reasonable to compare Philly (or most other cities) to New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia