U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM

3,952 posts, read 8,487,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
P.S. That "sliver of 1/13th, just shrank to about 1/25th! Call that a "mini-Mannhattan" is an UNDERSTATEMENT!
It just grew again because the residential entirety of Center City/University City is about 4 miles wide(river to 45th) Spring Garden to Washington (2 miles wide)

That sliver just grew to about 1/3 the size of Manhattan.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,975,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Relax slugger. You tend to get cantankerous when people disagree with you.

I stand corrected Manhattan is 13 miles long not 13 sq miles, I erred not the first time and it wont be the last. Sorry big guy, I'll try to be more precise in the future.
I'll let this one slide Rain, don't let it happen again though!... I believe that's wrong though too, I'm talking about Mannhattan being 13 miles long. I believe it's closer to 8 miles long by 3 miles wide. Don't quote me on this, but I think those are the dimensions of Mannhattan. I don't care enough to look it up. But I do know, Mannhattan is 24 Sq miles big.

But you see what I mean now, we're talking about 25 Center City's in order to be "Mannhattan-like". Chicago, I think is somewhere around 3. Hence, Chicago is more "Mannhattan-like", or a "mini-version".

I just never got the NYC feeling in Philly. Look at all those tight and narrow streets in Philly. That doesn't put you in the mind of a Pa. town as opposed to NYC? Philly to me, gives a smaller city feel than it actually is, cause of this fact.

Philly is the 5th largest city (Phoenix doesn't count as a 'real' city), in America, but has the vibe of a smaller one. Maybe some people know what I mean, others maybe don't.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
It just grew again because the residential entirety of Center City/University City is about 4 miles wide(river to 45th) Spring Garden to Washington (2 miles wide)

That sliver just grew to about 1/3 the size of Manhattan.
Residential? Come on now, you really want to compare "residential areas" with Mannhattan? You're grasping at straws now........

Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM

865 posts, read 1,462,143 times
Pittsteelersfan, werent you just attacking Chicago in another thread? Now you want to defend it?
Philadelphias downtown is one of the best downtowns in the country. Certainly smaller than NYC or Chicago but great nonetheless. Certainly beats Pittsburgh.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Pittsteelersfan, werent you just attacking Chicago in another thread? Now you want to defend it?
Philadelphias downtown is one of the best downtowns in the country. Certainly smaller than NYC or Chicago but great nonetheless. Certainly beats Pittsburgh.
Attacking Chicago? How so? I speak the truth, and don't use 'bias' like so many others. I shoot from the hip, call it as I see it. How is saying Chicago's Downtown is more similiar to Mannhattan than Philly's is, "defending it"? I guess you favor one more than another, and would answer accordingly, even if it wasn't the truth? Cause of bias?

I agree, Center City is better than Downtown Pittsburgh (with the exception of the view)

Ain't saying Philly's Center City ain't great, but it AIN'T no "mini-Mannhattan", that's for SURE!....

Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 AM

640 posts, read 742,769 times
I forgot the water.

NYC water > philly water

Philly water is god awful. they should fire everyone at pwd.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,129 times
This thread's taken a turn for the funny re: "comparing" Center City to Manhattan.

This is apples versus oranges, trying to compare a rectangular downtown sector of one revitalized city (Philly) to a geographic island (Manhattan) constituting one of the five boroughs of one of the world's greatest centers of finance and commerce.

I also wonder how many of you have actually explored Manhattan; I lived there for a decade. Most ppl forget that a third of the island, above 96th street on the east side and 110th on the west side, consists of the various districts of Harlem as well as Inwood. For some reason, people think that Manhattan is only Central Park is below, and if that's the case, those size dimensions somebody quoted are way off. *Harlem* alone in Manhattan is bigger than Center City, in terms of size and residents. These two locales are just incomparable.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM

3,952 posts, read 8,487,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercityrenter View Post
This thread's taken a turn for the funny re: "comparing" Center City to Manhattan.
My impression is that its more like pittsteelerfan trying to needlessly uncompare them.

One person made a remark that Center City reminds them of a mini manhattan which on merit is a pretty harmless statement and if one used their imagination could see some semblance of validity in the statement.

From Vine to Pine 10th to 24th street is about the closet resemblance of Manhattan as there is in this country, the architecture, density,large amount of retail/ restaurants in a small area etc.

Dont try to create an argument that isnt there.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 90,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I left Pittburgh 15 years ago, I'm not "insecure" about a city that I don't even live in anymore. See, this is my point, I'm giving an un-bias opinon on this matter.

I'm glad that YOU finally cleared this matter up. Maybe the people who do think that NYC and Philly are similiar, haven't travelled much.

Hearing things like "mini-Mannhattan", just blows my mind. 'If' it were true, I'd glady say so, but of course it ain't.

By the way, did you take a look at soom of those Pittsburgh pics? See anything that could be mistaken for Phiily (especially South Philly)?
In my experience, all the comparisons I've heard of Philly to Queens/Brooklyn/Manhatten/Bronx have been from expatriate New Yorkers who moved to Philly. So I suppose you would have to prove to them how their opinions and observations are so off base. I simply hold the opinion that the Philly metro and New York metro are much more similar in feel and appearance to each other than Philly and Pitt - I'm not claiming that the Philly and NYC metros are basically the same.

Pittsburgh citizens are not like Philadelphian's at all in general. Pitt people are typically more conservative, more laid back, have totally different accents, not as outspoken etc. Demographically Philly and Pitt aren't very similar either. Pittsburgh is by far a majority white city; yet in Philly whites are a minority. About 28% of Philly's residents are either Hispanic, Asian, or of other races compared to Pittsburgh having less than 6% of it's population represented in those categories. 44% of Philly's population is African American compared to 27% in Pitt.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your opinion. As I said in an earlier post, most people would not agree with you that Philly is "just a bigger version of Pitt." Believe what you like.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
In my experience, all the comparisons I've heard of Philly to Queens/Brooklyn/Manhatten/Bronx have been from expatriate New Yorkers who moved to Philly. So I suppose you would have to prove to them how their opinions and observations are so off base. I simply hold the opinion that the Philly metro and New York metro are much more similar in feel and appearance to each other than Philly and Pitt - I'm not claiming that the Philly and NYC metros are basically the same.

Pittsburgh citizens are not like Philadelphian's at all in general. Pitt people are typically more conservative, more laid back, have totally different accents, not as outspoken etc. Demographically Philly and Pitt aren't very similar either. Pittsburgh is by far a majority white city; yet in Philly whites are a minority. About 28% of Philly's residents are either Hispanic, Asian, or of other races compared to Pittsburgh having less than 6% of it's population represented in those categories. 44% of Philly's population is African American compared to 27% in Pitt.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your opinion. As I said in an earlier post, most people would not agree with you that Philly is "just a bigger version of Pitt." Believe what you like.
I completely disagree with your statement that "Pittsburgh'ers are not as outspoken". Pittsburgh, is by far, still a 'working class' city. The 'educated class', will ALWAYS be less "outspoken" compared to the 'blue collar' types. Just look at some of Pittsburgh's famous residents. Does Mike Ditka seem like he'd hide what he was thinking? Or how about Dennis Miller? You think Micheal Keaton would bite his lips?

You can preach the differences all you want, Philly is a BIG Pittsburgh. It definitely has a MUCH LARGER concentration of wealthy residents, that I agree. But the 'average' guy in South Philly, ain't much different than a guy who was born and raised on the Northside of Pittsburgh.

P.S. How many of those ex-Ny'ers have been to Chicago? Many of them after seeing Chicago, might change their mind about Philly. I just don't see the comparisions at all. The look and feel between Philly and NYC are so different to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia