Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM

47 posts, read 144,915 times

Advertisements

I'm friendless in Philly! I'm not in school. So, how can I make friends? I live for Pathmark and its not fun! I don't go clubbing so no luck there. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl17 View Post
I'm friendless in Philly! I'm not in school. So, how can I make friends? I live for Pathmark and its not fun! I don't go clubbing so no luck there. What can I do?
How old are you? Where do you live? What are your interests?

There are lots of volunteer organizations in the Philly area. Perhaps something there will strike your fancy. The Volunteer Match website would be a good place to start.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treegirl17 View Post
good question. i wonder the same sometimes. got myspace? ppl at ur work, or whats ur favorite hobby?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM

96 posts, read 360,641 times
Do you like the orchestra, Art Museum, historic preservation, books by Maurice Sendak, mummies, libraries or old ships? Philadelphia has a ton of Young Friends groups you can join to meet people. Is your family from a particular region of Ireland or Italy, or are your grandparents Swedish or German? There are groups, events, parties and pub nights for that too. Do you like politics? See what's going on at YIP, or any of the many other under-40 groups like Drinking Liberally or whatever the Young Republicans are calling themselves these days, or volunteer for a campaign. We've got some good ones ramping up right now in the city and the Commonwealth. Or try attending a Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network event. How about joining a church (or other faith type group) and participating in their programs? Many parishes, churches, temples have under-40 groups, and there are few that tend to draw mostly young crowds.

Requring a bit more planning, this summer, if you are inclined, you could get a trial membership to the Raquet Club. If you hate it or the members, it's a minimum time and financial investment. If you love it, become a full member and you'll have an instant circle of friends. (By the way, this is not an endorsement of the RC. I'm just not sure if any other clubs have this type of program.)

Can you sew or dance or play an instrument or carry an umbrella? What about becoming a mummer?

Of your myriad options to meet people, "clubbing" would be at the bottom of any list as it is not an atmosphere conducive to conversation. A better option would be to start hanging out at your local pub (or coffee shop) instead and make nice with the bartender, who is likely to take it upon him/herself to introduce you to others as they come in. Or introduce yourself. We Philadelphians really aren't that scary.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,252 times
try Use the Internet to get off the Internet! - Meetup.com you can put in your zipcode and look at all the groups that meet in your area. if you have a special interest, you can create your own group and wait for others to join. I know lots of people that have used that site to meet people with similar interests. Good Luck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 28,962 times
What do you do? I am moving to PA soon. PM me, I will be in town soon.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 28,962 times
Thank you for the ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
Do you like the orchestra, Art Museum, historic preservation, books by Maurice Sendak, mummies, libraries or old ships? Philadelphia has a ton of Young Friends groups you can join to meet people. Is your family from a particular region of Ireland or Italy, or are your grandparents Swedish or German? There are groups, events, parties and pub nights for that too. Do you like politics? See what's going on at YIP, or any of the many other under-40 groups like Drinking Liberally or whatever the Young Republicans are calling themselves these days, or volunteer for a campaign. We've got some good ones ramping up right now in the city and the Commonwealth. Or try attending a Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network event. How about joining a church (or other faith type group) and participating in their programs? Many parishes, churches, temples have under-40 groups, and there are few that tend to draw mostly young crowds.

Requring a bit more planning, this summer, if you are inclined, you could get a trial membership to the Raquet Club. If you hate it or the members, it's a minimum time and financial investment. If you love it, become a full member and you'll have an instant circle of friends. (By the way, this is not an endorsement of the RC. I'm just not sure if any other clubs have this type of program.)

Can you sew or dance or play an instrument or carry an umbrella? What about becoming a mummer?

Of your myriad options to meet people, "clubbing" would be at the bottom of any list as it is not an atmosphere conducive to conversation. A better option would be to start hanging out at your local pub (or coffee shop) instead and make nice with the bartender, who is likely to take it upon him/herself to introduce you to others as they come in. Or introduce yourself. We Philadelphians really aren't that scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia