U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM

892 posts, read 1,340,967 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever notice any suburban neighborhoods which feature a number of Arts and Crafts style homes? I just love driving through areas which have a good sampling of this style. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM

211 posts, read 334,414 times
There a few blocks in Collingswood, NJ. They're right off Collings Ave near the high school. Maple Lane is one of them.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,331,404 times
Rose Valley isn't a neighborhood per se but was a bohemian art enclave and has homes in the Arts and Crafts style. There is even a development of carriage homes that successefully includes Arts and Crafts elements and kept some existing structures on the mostly wooded property to that end.

Also check out Swarthmore for a great bunch of old homes...wish I could find this in Chester County!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM

892 posts, read 1,340,967 times
Thanks, folks. I actually live close to Rose Valley, but I thought I detected more Cotswold and Tudor styles. I'll have to look closer. Next Time I'm across the bridge, I'll check out Collingswood.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,555 times
I love craftsman home design, too. Old and new. The unfortunate thing about living in this part of the country - I'm in the Lehigh Valley - is that all new home builders seem to construct are colonials/farmhouse knock-offs.

I've done lots of looking into home builders in other parts of the country and just about everywhere else - including areas such as Atlanta, Nashville, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, Flagstaff, etc. - most new home builders at least offer the Craftsman "look" in their new designs. It may not be the true Craftsman in interior design (although they're out there, too - check this link...it's for a builder in Fort Collins, CO who builds updated versions of Craftsman homes. [url=http://jamestownhomebuilders.com/]Jamestown Builders[/url] )

Even in Boise, Idaho there's a really talented new home builder who constructs new Craftsman homes - and refurbishes old ones! And he's a certified Green Builder! [url=http://www.flynnerhomes.com/]Boise, Idaho Green Home Builder & Remodel - Flynner Homes[/url]

I dunno. Maybe it's that so many here in the Mid-Atlantic are too consumed by what others think of our dwellings that the market will only sustain crackerbox colonials. Or is it that builders are so uninterested in thinking outside the [cracker]box that they will never lean toward Craftsman design around here?

Your thoughts?

In the meantime, I will continue to love and honor the old Craftsman homes in the area. There are some nice ones in Westend Allentown and in Bethlehem's West Side neighborhoods. Even Emmaus has some really beautifully preserved bungalows.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,331,404 times
I would bet the reason is twofold. People don't want different as it may impact home value, so they don't buy them, so builders don't offer it. Builders don't want to support too many stylistically different homes as that increases cost, so they don't offer it. Chicken or egg? I'm not sure.

I did see postings on craigslist last year for a builder building Arts and Crafts style homes somewhere in Berks county but can't find that now...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM

2,051 posts, read 2,374,046 times
Yes, I love living in the Phila. suburbs, but I too find the styles of homes too bland. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, the new developments were either 1) ranchers, 2) colonials, 3) split-levels or bi-levels. Blah. We haven't strayed much from that concept. That's why I loved the diversity in architectural styles and interior floorplans when I lived in Southern CA. I love that Craftsman style and I don't quite understand why it's not popular here -- it's not like it's modern/contemporary (which turns some people off), it's not like it's region-specific (like Spanish architecture in CA or pink stucco in Miami). I suppose builders here just stick to the type of architecture that has appealed to the most buyers in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia