Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times

Advertisements

This was at 45th and Baltimore - an area in the OP's search. I have no problem with people saying "I live in the city, there are inherent risks and dangers but I feel it is worth them for the other things I get out of living here."

But you all have your rose colored glasses on and are terribly irresponsible in telling only the good - I at least tell the truth, you only tell what you want others to hear so they can make your life better by moving in and pushing the bad elements further out.

You are the ones trying to justify your existence in places where rational people who care more about their female family members and kids do not go. So go ahead and rah rah all you want as you bury your heads in the sand while you are placing your family in jeopardy for lifestyle elements that you can get elsewhere without risking anybody's safety and laugh at us suburb dwellers and our bland existence - what a joke. But I guess this is just Darwin working yet again to prune the world of people who don't have the common sense to stay away from dangerous situations.

Last edited by orrmobl; 02-17-2009 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 14,486 times
Default are you okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
This was at 45th and Baltimore - an area in the OP's search. I have no problem with people saying "I live in the city, there are inherent risks and dangers but I feel it is worth them for the other things I get out of living here."

But you all have your rose colored glasses on and are terribly irresponsible in telling only the good - I at least tell the truth, you only tell what you want others to hear so they can make your life better by moving in and pushing the bad elements further out.

You are the ones trying to justify your existence in places where rational people who care more about their female family members and kids do not go. So go ahead and rah rah all you want as you bury your heads in the sand while you are placing your family in jeopardy for lifestyle elements that you can get elsewhere without risking anybody's safety and laugh at us suburb dwellers and our bland existence - what a joke. But I guess this is just Darwin working yet again to prune the world of people who don't have the common sense to stay away from dangerous situations.

I haven't been on this list for long as I have been living outside of Philadelphia and have recently moved back. I have lived in several countries, several states, and still call Philly home. I am thrilled at having moved home. I am having trouble understanding why you (and some one else from Moorestown) seem to go from thread to thread scaring people (or "making them aware") of West Philly? Did you have a traumatic experience in West Philly once? Did some one scare you? Some people choose to leave in the city, some in the suburbs, some NJ, some DE, who cares? Why do you care? Is there something you want to get off your chest? I find that lists are much better is specific answers are given to specific requests. You seem to give the same blanket "be afraid" warning to whatever question is asked. If you want to talk, we'll listen. It seems like you're crying inside.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Default Moving to Penn Alexander catchment and placing child in kindergarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi le pew View Post
agreed. I know three families who live in this catchment. They LOVE it and the city. None have had any safety problems nor property damage. Neighbors tend to look after neighbors. This school zone is filled with families who are invested in their local public school. It is a great family neighborhood, in my opinion, but, as a prior poster stated, the housing stock is expensive. The catchment for Penn Alex is small, so you won't find anything for a family in your price range.

Also, if you are thinking about moving for kindergarten, I believe you are not guaranteed a spot, even within catchement. Since kindergarten is not required by law, they do not have to provide all catchment kids with a kindergarten spot and I believe it does fill up and some kids are shut out for kindergarten. If you are in-catchment, they have to take you at the 1st grade level.
I am planning to move to the Penn Alexander Cathment, and my son will be going to kindergarten Fall 2010. What if I move there and then there are no spots left? Am I guaranteed to get him a spot at another school close by. How is this determined?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
i live in the penn alexander catchment area and we did pay a premium for our house because of it (150k more than the houses directly across the street that are NOT in the boundaries of the school).

there is a danger factor simply because there are people who do not live in this neighborhood walking through to get to their area. so they do walk past/through. one factor that helps greatly is the U of Penn security and the USP security. on bike, foot, and car, their presence has been a big deterrent in my part of west philly.

you will be hard pressed to find a single home or even condo in that price range. the penn alexander school goes up to 8th grade and then you will need to find another high school.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Oh I don't know. Maybe you should take 5 minutes to google West Philly crime...every time I do, I find something pretty awful. This is from a quick search mind you but with the economy in the toilet, people get more and more desperate so the marginal areas become hunting grounds real quick...but I guess I'm just paranoid.

Here you go:

Crime and Crime Again :: News :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
^^^^^^ "West Philly" is a pretty big area. The areas that the OP is asking about is not that bad, especially in the Penn Alexander area. I agree, you are paranoid.
I live in Spruce Hill, the University City district neighborhood were the Penn/Sadie Alexander School is located (in fact the school is about 2 1/2 blocks from my house).

It is a relatively safe area. The incident where the pharmacy at 45th & Baltimore was held up happened in 2008, more than 2 years ago. I stroll around at all hours of the day and night and I never hear of any crime problems; my next door neighbors have two little girls both going to that school and I know Michael and Molly would not abide a neighborhood were crime was a problem.

Remember, the organization known as UCD - University City District - has patrols on every block with communication devices and Drexel, UPenn, and USP have their own private police forces.

When I bought my house about 10 years ago - a c.1890 Victorian "twin" - there were bars on the first floor windows; within the next few years I (and most of my neighbors) removed the bars. We now leave patio furniture and potted plants on our porches and steps ... I think this indicates the area is changing for the better.

Your only problem will be finding a place in your price range. Difficult but not impossible. There are - once in while - charming Victorian row homes that will go for the $200s instead of the $300s if they are in not great shape and are "handyman specials."

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Default University City

Quote:

Your post in nonsense. Do you live in University City?

The semi-detached "twin" house across the street from me just sold for $415,000 a few weeks ago (O'Donnell Realty), one on the 4200 block of Spruce - an attached row house sold for $750,000, and one on the 4200 block of Pine St. (the "Trumbauer House") is going for $900,000 (agent: Jeff "City Block of Prudential, Fox & Roach). Would professional successful people pay these kinds of prices to live in an unsafe neighborhood????

This is Philly, and there is no place that is absolutely crime-free. I have friends in posh Rittenhouse Square and some in pricey Chestnut Hill who report there is some crime in their neighborhoods. My elderly aunt in Hollywood, Florida, tells me of crime problems in that laid back resort and retirement community.

Your post is untrue and irresponsible. There are hundreds of children who walk to the Sadie Alexander School every day and I assure you their parents would not have paid a premium to live in this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia