Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both experienced high school teachers who currently teach in the Triangle area of NC. In the next year or two, we are hoping to find teaching jobs and relocate to one of the suburban counties (Bucks, Montgomery, etc.) outside of Philadelphia. Having grown up in the Lehigh Valley, I know a little bit about the area, but we would appreciate any advice regarding the availability of teaching jobs and pros/cons of certain areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Hate to say it, but you and another 1,000 people plus the new grads want to teach in the well paying Philly suburbs. Pennsylvania teachers have a strong union and this is a right-to-strike state. You have a better chance then many since you have experience, but do whatever you can to get PA certified ASAP. They will not take your certification from NC, you'll have to take the PA praxis tests. Good luck~

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
If you are willing to expand your job search to include more rural areas of PA, then you may have better luck. As stated ^^^^, many people want to teach in the nearby Philly suburbs!
Of them, however, if you are not only focused on the most wealthy, higher income areas(Bucks/Montco), you might find some opportunities in SE delaware county school districts.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,684 times
Have you checked out pareap.net? A lot of districts in the area post jobs on there. You can also complete a resume for youself on there and have potential employers check it out. If you aren't certified yet to teach in PA, please give yourself lots of time to get everything together. I used to live and teach in NJ before I moved out to PA. I was told that certification was reciprocal with PA, and TECHNICALLY it is, but they still made me take FIVE Praxis tests. I had applied in March and it took until December for me to get certified because I had to take all those tests and they only offer them about every other month and they don't offer them in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia